11 Year AMA

Zarsies

Joined when I was 12yr old in 2011. LotC is and was a font of lessons and community sprinkled with trauma and close encounters. Definitely worth it overall, still vibing.

It's unfortunate it wasn't until ~2018 that I got a real grip on life and began balancing my time and emotional investments, currently things are 10/10 and life is good. Despite my expectations I have a big boy job, a house, a nearly burdensome active social life, love, stonks, a pinch of gains, and buckets of friends. Things surprisingly panned out well.

Between it all I make time to fart around on here with y'all because I'm in love with writing, our community, and the amorphous 'you'.

AMA. Ask the right questions and I might even leak insider secrets (burger-king-doordash-7-layer-lasagna style). 

Where do you find the aesthetics of your writing, and whatnot? -- etc; images, history -- you always seem to have great style when it comes to finding references, images and inspiration for pretty much anything. Personally, Me and Garrett have been fixated over an Mortal Shell asset gallery for a while.

Is there anything that currently has your attention, or something that you'd just like to delve into right now?

Furthermore, what advice or tips would you give to any prospective writers who seek to improve?

Just putting it out there that I've always been your biggest fan. Heard it here first, folks. My claim remains unchallenged. Now onto my questions: 

- What is your favorite thing to cook? Is it your favorite thing to eat as well? If not, what is?
- Do you listen to music while writing? If so, what kind? What music do you enjoy in general?

- How'd you first find out about the server? 

- What is your favorite (only good vibes) aspect about the server and its community?

- Do you have any projects for me? 🥺

What is your favorite genre of music? Be as specific as possible.(pun beat me to it)

Favorite lovecraftian deity?

Will you, Zarsies, teach me Seer? 🥺

What is your favorite piece of lore you've worked on?

What is your least favorite?

Why am I the best?

What's your favorite niche of RP?

Least favorite, if any?

A memorable RP interaction (such as a really cool unplanned CRP fight, an event, etc, just anything that you find "memorable") that you're fond of? 

Favorite color? :)

you are a real one

<3

was Kypris’dionne not the hottest, sexiest, receptionist the Synod (but, more specifically Kosi) ever had?

which players who’s now MIA do you miss RPing with the most?

favorite character you’ve played (either to aesthetically put together or the most fun/provided most memorable RP)? 

what would you recommend i cook (lets not get TOO crazy) for this boy i’m seeing?

background: trying to transition from trap queen to trophy wife, but i never showed up to FCS class in school (shocker) so, i’d probably burn a salad if i tried. 

do you think putting Al'tarhn-Durngo and Elven, and claiming to be trilingual, would be impressive on my resume? if not, would it be funny to do anyways?

how have you been? i miss you so, so, much and i hope you’re living your best life 

xo, Luv

Edited by Luv
sorry, i’m literally illiterate! oh me, oh my!

You are one of the people I've known the longest from this server (if not THE longest). What are your favorite memories from Aegis? And side question, was there any moments of RP we shared that still stand out to you?

19 minutes ago, PXY said:

Where do you find the aesthetics of your writing, and whatnot? -- etc; images, history -- you always seem to have great style when it comes to finding references, images and inspiration for pretty much anything. Personally, Me and Garrett have been fixated over an Mortal Shell asset gallery for a while.

Is there anything that currently has your attention, or something that you'd just like to delve into right now?

Furthermore, what advice or tips would you give to any prospective writers who seek to improve?

All over; movies, books, my environment, dreams, drugs, and general visual content and all those things mix together in a mess. I was an art hoe in school had a concentration on ink + watercolor and oil, I've always had visuals prominent in my world. I avoid popular media when I can help it, I acutely cringe when people lean on anything modern or popular like video games or TV shows but my sensitivity towards that being distasteful seems to be much more severe than the average Joe so I suffer needlessly. When I'm on the hunt for art I draw on hella obscure sources but generally speaking Pinterest drawing from ArtStation accounts are ripe for viable images. Oil is king.

Seer is finally what I always wanted to be and I finally have the time to roleplay casually so I want to pursue that. My new house is way huge and has gardens on all sides + gardens along the tree line so I want to turn into a crazy plant mom. After ~3 years of hiatus my IRL friend groups are rekindling our D&D plans and I'm excited to get back to DMing but atm I'm battling with hashing out the actual group(s); we have 8 people interested in one campaign and 7 interested in another (total of 15, I am blessed with a wide circle of nerds) but I can only run 1 and my max comfortable table size is 6 players. Very eager but it will be hard to hash that out.

READ. Writers get better by reading. Also I mention it because it seems so prevalent on LotC for some reason but it is crucial that writers in general understand that word count and use of a thesaurus are NOT things to maximize. Kids romanticize writing as unending sentences full of archaisms, semicolons, adjectives, and words they don't know but that makes for the most dense, obtuse prose that is overindulgent and wasteful. The art, skill, and craft (aren't I funny) of writing is taking the easy part, the spam, and boiling it down as much as possible into the richest, shortest sentences. Word choice is superior to word count. Lots of things can be solved with dialogue, your eye movements and shifting aren't often relevant and subjecting people to it needlessly tires out the reader, and long words =/= good words. The more you read the more you are exposed to the voices and perspectives of other writers and it will help you figure out what you don't like to then refine your own. Case in point I adore Lovecraft and Poe but what I take from them are very, very small nuggets here and there and they serve as lessons on how not to write. We develop taste much faster than we do skill. All that said, I'm no paragon and I object to being upheld as anyone or anything special. LotC is a small pond, I believe I've barely found my voice because most 'lore' on LotC is nothing like 'writing', there's rarely drama or dialogue and that's what makes writing, not encyclopedia entries on fantasyland. 

19 minutes ago, Sorcerio said:

Just putting it out there that I've always been your biggest fan. Heard it here first, folks. My claim remains unchallenged. Now onto my questions: 

- What is your favorite thing to cook? Is it your favorite thing to eat as well? If not, what is?
- Do you listen to music while writing? If so, what kind? What music do you enjoy in general?

- How'd you first find out about the server? 

- What is your favorite (only good vibes) aspect about the server and its community?

- Do you have any projects for me? 🥺

Favorite thing to cook is goetta (look it up). It's a poor man's food and I have a lot of good memories around it. Low and slow. The perfect Sunday breakfast staple. Definitely not my favorite thing to eat. Hard to say what is, I was anorexic for 7 years (good now) and spent ~4.5 years in food service so my food journey has been all over the place. Kinda impossible to nail a favorite but a contender that comes to mind is pickles. I love pickles. My favorite flavor is salty. It's so unhinged that during Christmas I bought 8 6-packs of a pickle beer from a local brewery.

No music, idk what my 'tism or core neurotic issue is but I don't really like music. I didn't start listening to things of my own volition until ~16. My taste is highly eclectic but almost never do I listen to music by my own doing, only things with talking or just silence. That said when I do my most listened to shit on Spotify is trap leaning towards horrorcore ($uicideBoy$, Night Lovell, Shakewell, Fat Nick, Denzel Curry), R&B/soul/jazz (Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Etta James Erykah Badu, The Ink Spots, Duke Ellington, Chet Baker, Stan Getz, Frank Sinatra), and a slew of earworm songs. I have an addictive personality so sometimes when a song (fiendishly...) gets stuck in my head I have to play it to death. Music and I are only occasionally on friendly terms.

One of my IRL friends was downloading the texture pack LB PhotoRealism and saw a list of servers who had it as their official texture pack and saw Lord of the Craft. We're all Lord of the Rings nuts so he mentioned it to me, we checked it out, the server was going to launch in ~2 months, so we applied on the Minecraft forums and waited for the server to launch. I played him and my brother for awhile, both have come and gone among other IRL friends (some who still poke around today... I will keep their secrets). Total fluke. We were caught solely by the name.

My favorite part about the server itself are the builds. As aforementioned I'm visually inclined, back when I was an art hoe I was planning on going to college for architecture and using family nepotism to catapult into an architecture career, and Minecraft perfectly scratches that itch of 3D design for me (not to mention non-architectural environments). I ******* love Minecraft, it's a perfect medium (because of skins complementing it). I adore what people produce, every map is a feast for the eyes and I never get tired of innovations in build design. My favorite part about the community is growth. While there's always duds here and there, people evolve as individuals and refine as writers here and it's enriching to see that happen. Plus our community literally grows - expands - and while I'm a bundle of anxiety at times and struggle to reach out I really, really appreciate how at any moment I can make new friends. I've had so, so many friend groups come and go over the years and it's tough when I feel like I'm between them, like everyone has left again and in some way I'm alone, but I worm my way into new circles or work on building new ones and begin the cycle of developing friendships again. I love that. Sometimes it's a slog but it's always worth it, there's LOTS of lovely people here.

I do, just been busy with work. If things pan out well I should get back to you tomorrow or later in the week, it'll be organized in my Discord.

15 minutes ago, NotAWonk said:

What is your favorite genre of music? Be as specific as possible.(pun beat me to it)

Favorite lovecraftian deity?

Will you, Zarsies, teach me Seer? 🥺

See above. Very hard to say because it all comes and goes and I'm already indifferent but sometimes the right song enchants me and I cannot escape. Right now that is Them Changes by Thundercat. 

Yog-Sothoth because my favorite piece of his is the Dunwich Horror.

Unlikely, I've developed a bipolar hatred for teaching. As much as I feature in player content, I often don't want to lead anything or be relied on. I just want to vibe at my own speed.

2 minutes ago, Jaelon said:

What is your favorite piece of lore you've worked on?

What is your least favorite?

Why am I the best?

Hard to say, typically my latest stuff I like more because I lean towards feeling my current work is my best work. As soon as I do something new there's a pervasive shame around all the stuff before it but I try be grateful for my past self because it led me to the here and now. Case in point I'm middling on blood magic, Vaasek, seer, and so on. Older stuff I feel worse about and the ancient stuff I abhor. My favorite piece has yet to be revealed... such is life.

By far my least favorite player content is third generation blood magic, it was so utterly trash in terms of mechanics and was abused to hell and back because it sucked. My least favorite work was 2 long form poems I entered into a poetry contest for school, I won for them but in retrospect they're utterly pathetic and so edgy and bleak they make my physically sick lmfao. Being a teenager sucks.

You're a hoot and good company. 

What is your favorite type of sandwich?

What is the Burger King doordash 7 layer lasagna style and how do I make one?

50 minutes ago, satinkira said:

How on earth do you write such fantastic lore?

(I'm still sorry)

Practice and patience? Lots of reading. And it helps to feel some manner of camaraderie towards others as to make any player content friendly and good-spirited.

I forgive you. :)

27 minutes ago, un-w said:

What's your favorite niche of RP?

Least favorite, if any?

A memorable RP interaction (such as a really cool unplanned CRP fight, an event, etc, just anything that you find "memorable") that you're fond of? 

Favorite color? :)

Vagabonds, the downtrodden, etc. I enjoy portraying a wretched, rancid, reeking mess and having the wherewithal to approach any character in any setting with a reliable and understandable motive. There's nothing like the feeling of a dirty beggar shambling across the street looking at you with meth eyes and you instantly know he's coming to ask you for something. A man with nothing to lose is bold and dangerous. And sad as hell.

Monster hunters, detectives, and court nobles. I like the idea of them but in my personal experience they are never played in good faith and those players are OOCly conniving. I absolutely hate when it feels like I'm not playing the game with people but against them. It ruins my mood and leads to disillusion. I also have a strong aversion to child RP.

A fond memory that comes to mind is when TehLulu's librarian character (can't remember her name, might have been Lotheriel) unraveled / figured out my character Sprat's inner turmoil. I don't remember all the details but she was abducted by the Undead in Athera and was trapped within a magical cell in Drauchreim in the Nether. My Undead was familiar with her through proxies (spies) and she had a baseline understanding of him through a tangled past and insights through some sort of Iblees double agent librarian dude. They didn't talk much when he visited her in the prison but he transformed her cell to appear and feel more comfortable after having a breakdown and internal crisis seeing her there (even longer story and I don't remember it all). Just from his reaction and then alleviation of her torture she connected the dots on topics I never outright talked IC or OOC and solely through deduction and context clues she completely figured him out. I was seriously stunned and moved, never had I felt someone paid enough attention and had the intellect and empathy to unfold a character portrayed in front of them and when she did it felt like I had an epiphany: this is what roleplay can be. Deep, complex, heavy with subtext, and highly emotional. 

ALL COLORS ARE VALID... green, black, and indigo are pretty cool just not necessarily together. My least favorite is orange and red.

13 minutes ago, Luv said:

was Kypris’dionne not the hottest, sexiest, receptionist the Synod (but, more specifically Kosi) ever had?

which players who’s now MIA do you miss RPing with the most?

favorite character you’ve played (either to aesthetically put together or the most fun/provided most memorable RP)? 

what would you recommend i cook (lets not get TOO crazy) for this boy i’m seeing?

background: trying to transition from trap queen to trophy wife, but i never showed up to FCS class in school (shocker) so, i’d probably burn a salad if i tried. 

do you think putting Al'tarhn-Durngo and Elven, and claiming to be trilingual, would be impressive on my resume? if not, would it be funny to do anyways?

how have you been? i miss you so, so, much and i hope you’re living your best life 

xo, Luv

She definitely would be since she was the only one.

Jexdane, Ever, Watyll, Geoboy, MrIrishBoys, and plenty more I can't conjure at this moment.

Probably Zarsies/Lolindar/Uldrivt/Kozilek but only at certain moments. I enjoy his story as a classically doomed character, his ultimate goal was impossible and he would always be a failure. And despite its hopelessness he was utterly devoted and committed abject evil in its name. That said I really dig my current main character but in a weird way I feel like she has yet to blossom because I never gave her the effort required to reach the dynamic I'm shooting for. Since I'm coming around more lately hopefully I can get that off the ground...

Risotto! It's so easy, all it takes is time (the bulk of it is the arbio rice) and it yields the must delicious savoy and salty dinner. I **** with butternut squash heavy and it's my preferred main feature for risotto but there's lots of ways to make it.

Depends on what the resume is going for, if it's appropriate and you feel bold then listing Al'tahrn-Durngo is viable (because it's fleshed out enough to almost be functional). You could put your LotC time in some light to cite some useful skills.

Busy as **** bruh but it's all for the better. The latest chaos has been securing the house and getting everyone moved in, now that it's over it's smooth sailing.

13 minutes ago, Rilath said:

You are one of the people I've known the longest from this server (if not THE longest). What are your favorite memories from Aegis? And side question, was there any moments of RP we shared that still stand out to you?

Legit! I cherish you. Aegis had lots of highlights. On the first day of release my brother, friend, and I bought a platform from ShiftNative and created a tavern which was utterly chaotic. Becoming Fawkes' (cannot remember his MC name for the life of me...) apprentice and joining simonbane's Black Hand was absolutely thrilling. I loved all the dramatic developments between the Undead and Ascended. I spent many nights raising hell along the roads where I become friends with pugsy. God I miss pugsy. But the memory that we shared that shines above the rest was when Rilath was being handed over (or something like that?) to Shoi and the Ascended to be purified of his corruption. Very dramatic, lots of lightning. I remember sprint jumping for my life across the ice to get away from Undead coming to crash the party.

19 minutes ago, Nug said:

you are a real one

<3

You are an icon.

11 minutes ago, wowj said:

What is your favorite type of sandwich?

What is the Burger King doordash 7 layer lasagna style and how do I make one?

Toasted hard ciabatta bread smeared with garlic and rosemary aioli, sauted spinach, roasted mushrooms, artichoke hearts, pickled hot peppers, and a thin slab of fresh mozzarella. It's a stupid overpriced white Millennial sandwich at a place near me I'm utterly obsessed with. Artichoke hearts slap.

Iykyk. You make it with bad decisions leading to crisis culminating in nearly-averted disaster. We're lucky all they decided to do was reset the calendar. I also find it amusing we could have been slapped with it in 2012 but it managed to sit and simmer until now. Low and slow... like goetta.

where do you normally sit in your house when u wanna chill and write lore

what is ur current favourite CA / MA or one you can tolerate at the moment (cant say bloodmagic or seer cus u wrote them) 

what is ur least favourite CA / MA at the moment

do you like how the server is currently functioning in terms of roleplay n stories n narratives (me: no)

thx

I do miss Kozilek and the first Synod, Ghamul too. Do you ever think about the character and the past? And how the spooks were back then? After all these damnable years, why do you still remain? When do I get my Wraiths back? Mordring time?