THE LAST.

THE LAST

Frozen Lake Painting by james lagasse | Saatchi Art

Spoiler

This song suited her since prof showed me it, she can NEVER have a serious song.

“Yo ho!” Astrid screams out the window, clasping her hands into tight fists. She remembers her promise that she vowed to keep one day. The ship, so he would stay.

He didn’t stay, he just disappeared one day without a word. She knew he was busy being a pirate but she still missed him, his ring to her was still collecting dust in her drawers.

Astrid fumbles at her wheelchair, spinning it around so she can go back to her room. She feels the walls as she pulls letters and items from her drawers and cupboards, placing them on her lap. She then leaves the house and makes for the aviary, sending each letter off.

It took her about half the day overall for her to do so and she felt tired when she had finished. She lifts her head, nodding gently to herself.

“Ich suppose this is time, hm?” Astrid asks thin air, the wind brushing through her hair and rustling her bandages. That was her answer as she leaves the city and stops short at the lake.

Astrid had already died once, the day she lost the ability to fight.

Astrid takes a deep breath before pushing up on her arms and falling in.

It was slow and painful.

It was what she deserved.

She thought one thing as she passed, the thing she always thought about since she was a small child “Ein vogel zu sein, lebendig und frei.”

But once it was over she was in the father’s halls, searching for the family that could be waiting for her.

Astrid’s will and letters have been prewritten, before the blindness:

All my animals go to my old friend; Bjorn Grandaxe and his family. His Karin; Storm returned to him once more.

Spoiler

Dear Bjorn @Fishingrobyn

We briefly met before the war when you visited Norland. It was also before my paralysis and you seemed interested in Norland. I gave you a tour and told you of my animals to which you dragged me to Urguan and gave me Storm. I’ll tell you now that every day after that I cared for Storm with all my might. I studied Karins until the early hours of the morning and slept beside Storm for a week until she adjusted to the place. 

Assuming you got this letter, that means I’m dead and the animals are yours once more. Take care of them for me, pieces of me are inside them all.

Attached to this letter are a pamphlet on each of them, name and gender. Study it well.

-Astrid

Lekarski goes to my best friend and younger brother Ciaran Vildr; A piece of Doc. A piece of our father.

Spoiler

Dear Hund @PerfectLittleLady,

I’m unsure what to write. I’ve never really written a letter in which it's to be delivered when I’ve died but here goes. We first met in front of Varhelm palace, I was five and you were either three or four…time escapes me now. You came up to me and stuck out a hand “I’m Ciaran, you must be the princess.”

You didn’t actually know my name and for many years I never told you because it was funny. I found it funny teasing you over silly things. So I was just ‘Princess’ and you were ‘Hund’. When I turned ten I finally told you my name but you still didn’t stop calling me Princess.

You were my little brother. I don’t understand what changed, I think we drifted. You stood in my place and I tucked myself away. So we lived like that. Continue being me, not that anyone can do what I can do better than myself but we intertwine, as we always had. Platonic soulmates.

Live well, live long.

-Love Princess

My cane goes to my son; Ivar Black’hil. I hope it serves you well as it did for me.

Spoiler

Dear little Ivar @HIGH_FIRE,

I didn’t know how to be a mother because I never had one myself, not that that is much of an excuse. I think maybe I was jealous, you seemed to love others more than me and I saw myself in that. I wished that I was better, that maybe I had a hand guiding me through but I didn’t and I selfishly ran believing you would come with me.

Try not to bully your siblings too much and be strong, I’ll tell your grandfather about how great you are.

-Love mutter

My tiara goes to my daughter; Aobh Black’hil. You will always be a princess to me.

Spoiler

Dear princess Aobh @tadabug2000,

I’m sorry I could never get you your cheese, I think that was mean of me. You were the pride of my life and I miss you more and more every day but I know you can find another mutter, someone who can be there for you and teach you valuable things that I never could.

I wanted you to be a princess so badly because I felt like it would be nice to have another woman in that role but it was never the case so instead it was a nickname. Maybe one day you can marry a prince (or princess) and have your own title but for now, you may wear my tiara and eat as much cheese as you can handle.

-Love mutter

My collection of blades and my ring go to my old lover; Oliver Black. I loved you and I lost you. I hope it helps you in the long years.

Spoiler

Dear Oliver @Jameson_h,

I don’t know what to say here, I hate that I cannot hate you. I want to hate you with everything I have but I can’t because my heart remains as yours alone. I hope you aren’t neglecting the children as I have as you did me. Maybe one day I’ll admit to myself that it’s okay this happened but it felt unneeded, a situation blown out of proportion.

Maybe you’ll accept that I was and that you did love me, maybe still do. As I do you.

Be safe, tell the children tales of my feats, not failures, they can learn about that when they’re older.

-Love Astrid

Peter is to go to my old guard; Boots. Keep him tied up, he’s an Orenian.

Spoiler

Dear Boots @ichigomaster98,

I hope you’ll accept me as a Norlander, maybe the Ruric name wasn’t enough. As much as I hate to admit it, you were one of my favourites. You were a good guard, an even better man. I remember the clanking of armour in my youth and grabbing your hand when I was nervous to which you always squeezed it in reassurance.

I’m unsure if the reason you were so mad was that you were actually disappointed, maybe you loved me too and felt I turned my back on you and everyone else but just know I needed to. Maybe one day I’ll write down the full story, but you would probably just burn it.

I don’t hate you.

-Love Astrid

Finally, my house goes to my youngest son; Hali Black’hil. Keep it safe.

Spoiler

Dear Hali @CrymsonBlade,

We never did much when you were young, we only sat around in the house, sometimes going outside. I think I failed you the most but I want you to do better than I ever did.

You’re a good boy, continue being so.

-Love mutter

7yy20-7tO7Wv-9ovq7gI4EfOzmpiApye6A7r7sgw3AMheghi2tfbk3M_ffwOZshjjmmplvJEyr-3ydT2Sw98jzOpvQTXhHUKpzJkjalA3oT8nmuD9i0LrTlJY4PF7_DiwntJjxui6caJjZT_Rcg

kECrnxnkwk0NQpACxhn3ryO-uMLGAqJwQi2XFiv_xydBMyZ3tEqLNFzOl1R7miYSKtczPV-Q17CslbnacvqcGYl7InrPF608wnCXExzOiotuKS61AUokS5NvICDYSgMXik_aWv77VKlR4w4hsfk

Spoiler

OOC notice: The will is public, the letters are not. Do not metagame…now that’s over, here’s the soppy stuff. I first started playing Astrid about 7-8 months ago when Jav offered the role to me. It introduced me to Norland properly and I fell in love with it immediately. Astrid was dramatic and caused me thousands of issues OOCLY and IRPLY. She was an interesting character and I met so many different people from that cannibal who tried to eat me in the first week of playing Astrid to a random dwarf who just hands me his Karin.

I couldn’t make a good pk post because everything I wanted to write didn’t sound correct so I ended on this.

The loss of a character like Astrid will sting but it’s definitely her time, for real this time. She was cool and I enjoyed her a lot but things like this must come to an end. Astrid, you’ve been dope.

Orin stared at the missive as he passed into Norland for a visit and sat down for a moment to understand it better. As one of the last people he watched grow up passed away he simply sat and stared before trying to speak in a more lighthearted manner.

"Well.. no one was given the wheelchair.."

11 minutes ago, Operator_Bugman said:

"Well.. no one was given the wheelchair.."

Spoiler

i will smack you so hard istg

Boots was sitting alone in his Grenzstadt home, staring out the window, waiting for his family to come home as he has done for what now feels like his whole life, when a bird arrived at the window. Expecting another letter that will leave him stressed and annoyed he accepts it hesitantly. As he reads it, though, he starts to cry, not a small feat for him. "I never hated you," he says to nobody but the letter "I just hated seeing you leave too." he then falls silent but for the occasional sob, the only sound in his empty house. He misses the days when Astrid would come to his farm to shout at him, when anyone visited him at all.

Boots says a silent prayer, for Astrid to find her father on the other plane, and to set things right. He says a second small prayer, an unusually selfish one, he hopes that if they should ever meet in another life, another time, that they might both get along better, and that he can better speak his opinion, and that she will listen and understand.

Ragnvald Eiriksson Ruric welcomed his daughter into the Father's Hall with a warm smile "Rest now, my daughter. There is no need to be troubled any longer"

Aobh Black'hil, daughter of Astrid and just barely all of six years old, began to cry. She buried her face in her knighted plushie, Ser Peek, sniffling and wailing as she hadn't known where her Mama had went before that and now she was gone forever. She didn't want her tiara, she wanted her. And she did not want a new Mama!

Hali missed his mother dearly, though he struggled to understand where she had gone. Death was difficult for a three year old to figure out. He knew his mother was gone and she wasn’t coming back. Her letter had been read to him and so he tried to be extra good. Was it his fault she was gone?

Edited by Crymson

Oliver sat in his room reading the letter eyes ever so slightly wet as he scanned the paper carefully and with a sigh folding it in half adding it to a small collection of letters stashed away in a small no descript box that sat on his shelf, setting the ring on top of it before pushing it back into place, he prepared to head to Alicgrad to collect his youngest son Hali