[✓] [Rewrite] [MA + FA] Kani - The Art of the Oscillit

1 minute ago, shartings said:

wtf scions have peak str ?

yeah that's their whole thing. void feat, you get your strength back, but you can't cast above t3 and you have a lil ghost. if anyone was ever minmaxing a fighting void mage, there's no way they'd ever take kani over scion, even with kani at one slot. that was my initial point, anything kani does that someone would want to minmax for, scion does better and cheaper.

5 minutes ago, LoTC's Next Top Model said:

yeah that's their whole thing. void feat, you get your strength back, but you can't cast above t3 and you have a lil ghost. if anyone was ever minmaxing a fighting void mage, there's no way they'd ever take kani over scion, even with kani at one slot. that was my initial point, anything kani does that someone would want to minmax for, scion does better and cheaper.

hmm would this be better

continous resonance instead of doubles emotes -- adds [2] emotes to the spells instead to get around the possible [8] emote thing, and for ppl to have the nice flavour they want w/ kani and voidal magick ?

hmm would this be better

continous resonance instead of doubles emotes -- adds [2] emotes to the spells instead to get around the possible [8] emote thing, and for ppl to have the nice flavour they want w/ kani and voidal magick ?

it would be an improvement. there's only one (that i know of) one emote void spell which isn't very strong and it kinda a joke, so it would go from scaling most spells from 4/6/8/10, to 4/5/6/7.

that should be /mostly/ fine, and is a fair tradeoff for the flexibility provided by kani, and make it relatively competitive with scion (albeit not self-teachable like scion is). i'd add a few lines to hardline specify what weapons/armour is allowed, as well. if i may pat myself on the back; i got a lot of flak over having so many redlines with conj, but conj has also never had any game breaking exploits because i patched up every abuse i could think of, and i recommend everyone else do the same. a lot of lore abuses tend to come down to nebulous or uncertain terminology/blackspots, rather than people full on lying about what lore can do.

3 minutes ago, LoTC's Next Top Model said:

it would be an improvement. there's only one (that i know of) one emote void spell which isn't very strong and it kinda a joke, so it would go from scaling most spells from 4/6/8/10, to 4/5/6/7.

that should be /mostly/ fine, and is a fair tradeoff for the flexibility provided by kani, and make it relatively competitive with scion (albeit not self-teachable like scion is). i'd add a few lines to hardline specify what weapons/armour is allowed, as well. if i may pat myself on the back; i got a lot of flak over having so many redlines with conj, but conj has also never had any game breaking exploits because i patched up every abuse i could think of, and i recommend everyone else do the same. a lot of lore abuses tend to come down to nebulous or uncertain terminology/blackspots, rather than people full on lying about what lore can do.

thats fair yeah, sounds better

for armor, however, what abt smth like.. they can wear armor to protect vitals; chestplate, neck, legs. but nothing like to protect arms, shoulders, etc. nothing TOO large like a dude mf in fullplate

keeps up with the monk aesthetic w/o turning into a guy doing kung fu and magic

Just now, shartings said:

thats fair yeah, sounds better

for armor, however, what abt smth like.. they can wear armor to protect vitals; chestplate, neck, legs. but nothing like to protect arms, shoulders, etc. nothing TOO large like a dude mf in fullplate

keeps up with the monk aesthetic w/o turning into a guy doing kung fu and magic

so the big thing with kani is making cloth as strong as plate or whatevs, innit.

maybe a cuirass and a helmet? but even that would be pushing it, i'd think. you need the bare arms to punch dudes, bare legs (with like, sandals) to kick dudes. you could wear something over the stomach and chest, but that would restrict your breathing, which is also a no-no. ditto with helmet.

i'd tend to go full d&d druid and say "no metal allowed", but that's probably a bit extreme.

12 minutes ago, LoTC's Next Top Model said:

so the big thing with kani is making cloth as strong as plate or whatevs, innit.

maybe a cuirass and a helmet? but even that would be pushing it, i'd think. you need the bare arms to punch dudes, bare legs (with like, sandals) to kick dudes. you could wear something over the stomach and chest, but that would restrict your breathing, which is also a no-no. ditto with helmet.

i'd tend to go full d&d druid and say "no metal allowed", but that's probably a bit extreme.

thats fair yeah, i think.. a cuirass, helmet and smth to protect joints (etc. elbows and knees). id that that's fair over all ? just for some degree of protection n shit

5 minutes ago, shartings said:

thats fair yeah, i think.. a cuirass, helmet and smth to protect joints (etc. elbows and knees). id that that's fair over all ?

that's probably fine, with a reminder that resonance can't be performed through metal armpads in the case of striking with the elbows, which is mentioned in a redline somewhere else in the lore.

1 hour ago, shartings said:

hey, so the 2-slot thing was something that I was recommended by people since they've some concerns about it being minxmaxed w/ a variety of other stuff. the whole rewriting was to fix issues with vagueness in the lore, and as squak said in the spoiler, to make it more easier to read by the ST, new-players and people who haven't seen the lore before and there was a bunch of stretching to allow stuff to happen. etc, i cant rmbr who it was, but they threw like i think an axe? with enough force to shred thru steel and a horse's neck (maybe break it, i cant rmbr)

if your lore need some1 to know of Newton's Cradle beforehand, i dont think its understandable by ppl -- much less people who haven't delved into this kinda thing b4 lmao

the grandfathering was smth i requested as right now, there are... only 3(?) active teachers and that's rly pushing it. the first 2 dont rly play that character, and the last keeps it tightknit which aint rly a bad thing, i just wish it was more spread out. nonetheless, the grandfathering process is alot more complicated if a magic is inactive, so i just thought to crush 2 birds w/ 1 stone

if ppl rly want me to name it 'kani' oocly, sure

nonetheless, the naruto parody meme was an experiment to see if a lore was named so inanely, would players make up their own names for culture, etc instead of just looking up on the forums and calling it w/e they want

the linebreak changes are stuff that i did after i posted the lore, otherwise the mechanics of the spells are either entirely rewritten, changed somewhat or fixed/altered redlines

nonetheless ! if ppl want it to be slot 1, idrm. otherwise, what's wrong with making it slot 2..? if there's nothing to have alongside it, as youve said voidal magicks aren't rly that feasible with it, what's the problem with only having 2 magic slots left ?

also, not sure if you've read the redline but kani can't be used in conjuction w/ other strength-altering ablities, or even normal spells so the problem of 'You can already use Kani with other CA's for the sake of making the character stronger' doesnt even exist lol

"hell do I want my shaolin showdown monk to be a crazy good chef (housemagery) or just pretend to be a crazy good chef (illusion) since I don't have slots for both now".

also illusion and housemagery take up a slot each. uve 5 magic slots, u can still have 1 more magic slot left lol

uh i dont think there's any downsides of kani at all, and i dont rly understand that it'll make ppl minmax in order to take kani -- if you could explain, that'd be perfect. if anything, azdrazi is nerfed by kani as they can only use it in their 'descendant form' which is wacky imo, sure some1 could use their scales as an example as resonance cant be achieved thru natural armor n w/e but it's just aesthetic and doesnt add any combative flair

otherwise, if y'all rly want it to be 1 slot, idrm 

For the first one, my scenario was put in the case that someone had some slots already. And no, having multiple things isn't necessarily min-maxing especially when you can't use such in combat. But it doesn't matter since the consensus is going towards one slot anyway. Point of conversation over.

For the name, people already call it other things in rp, trying to rationalise the magic in a way the caracter seems fit. Or at least the people I've interacted with do.

For the downsides I'm not gonna go over it as well, there's already a conversation going.

1 hour ago, shartings said:

also yeah, u shouldve seen it. a person, i THINK a haenser?? it sounds like one, threw a throwing axe w/ enhanced strength(?) -- which i dont think should be allowed since this exists -- to shred thru a horse's armor and neck, or break it. i genuinely cant rmbr haha

And this was me actually, not 'a haenser'. I was using Delaying of Inertia, which is in the original role and rewrite with the exact same wording as the original as far as I can tell. The ability has been used this way before multiple times, with no complaint, and fits the wording on the lore. You have the point of contact be between your hand and weapon and delay the inertia of the throw. So I spent about 4 emotes (taking out weapon, feign throw, feign throw, throw) in order to have a stronger hit, which realistically was with the side of the weapon since there's no way to be accurate enough to slice something using the ability in that way.

But the time I did it, it was against Flemish who kicked up a fuss for winning slower. The attack I did breaking the neck of the horse he was on as I was aiming for its general head area. It didn't shred through the armor?? or slice the horse's head off or anything that extreme. It just hit strongly enough to crack vertebrae, because three hits in one would be strong enough for such. And it was that broken bones in an animal would cause it to have a reaction to such, like collapsing or kicking the rider off by losing balance at least. And not just shrugging it off as he initially emoted, having a weapon ping off his head and carrying on merrily.

kani is now 1 slot

continous reso - +[2] emotes instead of double, though they can only wear curaiss, helmet, and armor to protect joints

13 minutes ago, Gelaticam said:

For the first one, my scenario was put in the case that someone had some slots already. And no, having multiple things isn't necessarily min-maxing especially when you can't use such in combat. But it doesn't matter since the consensus is going towards one slot anyway. Point of conversation over.

For the name, people already call it other things in rp, trying to rationalise the magic in a way the caracter seems fit. Or at least the people I've interacted with do.

For the downsides I'm not gonna go over it as well, there's already a conversation going.

ill be real, in the case of it being [2] slots - having kani, housemagery, illusion shit + smth else. idk mysticism or paladinism. i feel like that's already too much personally too much. like genuinely lol

13 minutes ago, Gelaticam said:

And this was me actually, not 'a haenser'. I was using Delaying of Inertia, which is in the original role and rewrite with the exact same wording as the original as far as I can tell. The ability has been used this way before multiple times, with no complaint, and fits the wording on the lore. You have the point of contact be between your hand and weapon and delay the inertia of the throw. So I spent about 4 emotes (taking out weapon, feign throw, feign throw, throw) in order to have a stronger hit, which realistically was with the side of the weapon since there's no way to be accurate enough to slice something using the ability in that way.

But the time I did it, it was against Flemish who kicked up a fuss for winning slower. The attack I did breaking the neck of the horse he was on as I was aiming for its general head area. It didn't shred through the armor?? or slice the horse's head off or anything that extreme. It just hit strongly enough to crack vertebrae, because three hits in one would be strong enough for such. And it was that broken bones in an animal would cause it to have a reaction to such, like collapsing or kicking the rider off by losing balance at least. And not just shrugging it off as he initially emoted, having a weapon ping off his head and carrying on merrily.

i did some digging up bc i was curious and found the original message since I was the one whom she asked if it was iffy or not

042262d0fa47aecf95b058eb9ec47596-png.jpg

like erm, uhh i'll ASSUME that you did the aggressive reso connection first (3 emotes uninterrupted) before doing this. I remember we had a long discussion trying to make sense of the redlines because the ST and a user of Kani agreed that the wording or redlines were so iffy that it was lost on the person reading it

nonetheless, maybe 'shred' was the wrong term but you did say it was enough to pierce the armor w/ the metal axe head, effectively cutting into the steel armor, as well as stating that it broke the neck of the creature. what im VERY confused abt tho.. is this

CA races cannot perform Kani alongside any activated combat relevant abilities and must allow a single emote break following the completion of said abilities before they can begin to incite resonance again (IE: a passive ability, such as maintaining a third arm after the fact it was created by an Afflicted, would not render one in capable of inciting resonance, though active abilities such as a Varg shifting into their beastial form, all manner of Azdrazi flame abilities or a Siliti’s Metamorphosis (Major) ability would require a break after the ability’s completion before inciting resonance again).

afaik, siliti (I'm guessing that's what u are?? not rly too sure) dont have altered str aside from major metamorphosis. could be wrong, idrk. besides that, I don't rly know what u mean by supernaturally enhanced str. if they've a passive str+ up boost, this just goes back to the whole issue ST have w/ kani or weirdly worded stuff in general where it's loosely written to benefit various CAs or w/e

id rather things be clear, concise, well-worded to the point where noobs, mods, or new players can read smth, and understand what's going on

ill be real, in the case of it being [2] slots - having kani, housemagery, illusion shit + smth else. idk mysticism or paladinism. i feel like that's already too much personally too much. like genuinely lol

i did some digging up bc i was curious and found the original message since I was the one whom she asked if it was iffy or not

042262d0fa47aecf95b058eb9ec47596-png.jpg

like erm, uhh i'll ASSUME that you did the aggressive reso connection first (3 emotes uninterrupted) before doing this. I remember we had a long discussion trying to make sense of the redlines because the ST and a user of Kani agreed that the wording or redlines were so iffy that it was lost on the person reading it

nonetheless, maybe 'shred' was the wrong term but you did say it was enough to pierce the armor w/ the metal axe head, effectively cutting into the steel armor, as well as stating that it broke the neck of the creature. what im VERY confused abt tho.. is this

CA races cannot perform Kani alongside any activated combat relevant abilities and must allow a single emote break following the completion of said abilities before they can begin to incite resonance again (IE: a passive ability, such as maintaining a third arm after the fact it was created by an Afflicted, would not render one in capable of inciting resonance, though active abilities such as a Varg shifting into their beastial form, all manner of Azdrazi flame abilities or a Siliti’s Metamorphosis (Major) ability would require a break after the ability’s completion before inciting resonance again).

afaik, siliti (I'm guessing that's what u are?? not rly too sure) dont have altered str aside from major metamorphosis. could be wrong, idrk. besides that, I don't rly know what u mean by supernaturally enhanced str. if they've a passive str+ up boost, this just goes back to the whole issue ST have w/ kani or weirdly worded stuff in general where it's loosely written to benefit various CAs or w/e

Siliti have innate peak strength for the race, it's not an activated boost like through metamorphosis, comes with the race and can't tune it down unless the character has voidal weakness.

5 minutes ago, Gelaticam said:

Siliti have innate peak strength for the race, it's not an activated boost like through metamorphosis, comes with the race and can't tune it down unless the character has voidal weakness.

then why did u say it as supernatural strength instead of just peak strength

also this is what i wrote for delayed inertia so mods, noobs, whatever can understand it

500cf4313d1bff8aafece04d3f758e70.png

( i moved the redline to the top so i could highlight it)

not trynna rag on you, but back to my prior comment, this just goes back to the whole issue ST have w/ kani or weirdly worded stuff in general where it's loosely written to benefit various CAs or w/e

that was the whole point of this rewrite, basically to reformat and polish out the stuff to make it more easy to read, digest and understand for all parties rather than needing a gigabrain just to figure out u can throw an item w/ multiplied inertia

3 minutes ago, shartings said:

then why did u say it as supernatural strength instead of just peak strength

also this is what i wrote for delayed inertia so mods, noobs, whatever can understand it

500cf4313d1bff8aafece04d3f758e70.png

'supernaturally enhanced' - meaning enhanced through not mundane means

1 minute ago, Gelaticam said:

'supernaturally enhanced' - meaning enhanced through not mundane means

yeah, enhanced -- meaning increased, amplified, etc. so a creature with increased strength from supernatural (not mundane) means. it's pretty loose wording and one can easily interpret it as beyond mortal/descendant strength haha

also fellas, we're close to getting to trending ! thanks for the discussion so far