BETTER CALL MICK

Mickaelhz

it's about time

Based and Mick pilled

what a legend

First of all, let me just say I agree with Mick and his stance 100%. There isn't a single thing on this post that I believe he got wrong. That said, I want to add a lot of my own insight to this situation as I believe there are a couple more things that can be said here.

A Simple Thought Experiment:

The Empire of Man has been recreated on LOTC by Haense, Balian and Oren joining forces (purely hypothetical) and as is their natural goal, they wish to conquer Norland to unite Humanity. Is this an unjustified action in RP or OOC?

Norland, being unable to RPly stand against The Empire on their own, resorts to OOCly ignoring the actions of the Empire. They refuse to RP with the Empire when they show up, act like aggressions never happen, and won't even answer OOC dms. Is Norland in the right for doing this? Are frustrations voiced by The Empire about this justified?

If we harken back to an arguably better time on the server, many people will remember that Norland was conquered by The Empire of Man for being 'uncooperative' many times. The main difference I find, is that Norland wasn't a bunch of pansies about it. They took it on the chin, got up and moved on. Why is it that other communities can't be expected to do the same thing? 

I ask everyone to answer each of these questions in their head and think about how it's any different than this situation.

Community Guidelines Violation:

By the letter of the ban, the admin team has deemed Twi and Monkee detrimental to the community. Why is it then that so much of the community regards these players as some of the best on the server? If it was such a detriment to the community to have them on the server, then the community themselves would consider this a generally reasonable ban. Instead, the vast majority of the server believes this ban to be unjustified.

This point gets even clearer once you realize that a huge part of people who think they should be banned are extremist staff members that think the solution to players they don't like are bans. You know who you are.

I'm sure that there are a decent amount of people who are happy with this ban and simply staying quiet because they're satisfied with the current situation. Of course, this begs the question of how many of these people are happy about this ban because of means rather than the ends. Speaking in regards to purely the community, it's safe to say that most of them do not agree with the reasoning behind this ban.

From what I understand the admins also unbanned VoxyNoir early so that he could take Twi's place as nation leader, and this is what they believe to have been 'sufficient' to help the community who they were robbing of a leader. It's a fact of LOTC that the majority of nations rely on a strong nation leader to be able to maintain their communities. Celia'nor is quite literally the youngest nation on the map, and in banning their leader they have thrown everything into disarray and chaos.

Sticks and Stones:

From what I understand, there has largely been no action taken for the extreme harassment against these communities but rather it's based upon threats of actions. Though perhaps a bit of an extreme comparison, I find that the punishment issued in response is comparable to the Josh Pillault case. For those that don't know, he was sentenced to six years in prison for threatening a shooting online with no evidence to suggest he would follow through.

If it was a genuine concern of excessive harassment (the basis for which seems unstable to begin with) then surely a lesser ban would have been enough to discourage the actions, and if they persisted then a longer ban could've been issued. A compromise here would've been in the best interest of not only the players, but their communities as well. 

In Regards to the Admins:

I, and I'm sure many others, believe that this is the best administration we've had in a long time (especially @itdontmatta). I won't say for certain that none of this decision was done with malicious intent, as I personally question certain Admins' motives. However, buy and large I think this was a mistake. I implore the admin team to reconsider their decision here, perhaps not the entire punishment but at least the severity of it. 

we do a little gatekeeping

that's on bboon

holy guacamole you're based 

I truly find it interesting that so much is made in the argument of roleplay over OOC. Whenever I hear such arguments I think back to the wonderful moment when a member of the Admin team threatened other Admins to blackball their agenda if they didn't vote a certain way with regards  to Hauelnor. 

Imagine this:
"I won't vote on your admin Agenda if you vote against me on Haeulnor"

Image tagged in he's right you know - Imgflip

Spoiler

Yes Grammar is misspelt. Irony haha

As someone banned from Celia'nor for ooc reasons. Yeah, this ban is ridiculous. If they actually harassed people that should be the basis but the fact that admins have boiled it down to ooc nation leaders go brrr. All NL's go brr. I have never met one who hasn't and I did my best to minimize it but I certainly was far from perfect. (And most players have ooc bs behind their actions, as Mick said, this server is built on friendships and rp is the medium its expressed on)

I agree that Ryan and Twi can be too ooc at times. But the reference to the HLNR situation and The Vale are clear areas that show a lack understanding of the picture that the admins are trying to paint. 
I'll stop cause Mick said it far better than I ever could. This is dumb. Lotc go brrr.

mick's the best lawyer on lotc and he's proven it again