[Your View] - Auction Houses

HogoBojo

Auction Houses: Your Thoughts  

405 members have voted

1. 1. What option should we peruse for Auction Houses moving forward?

• The Status Quo
    • Full Removal
    • No Signed Items
    • No Unsigned Items

Keep the ah I need somewhere to spam with leather to make big bucks

6 hours ago, squakhawk said:

unknown.png

things I've read?

that?

never the twain shall meet

Personally I think the AH should be left alone, I know people want it to be removed but if you don't care for it. I think there are other ways to go about it. Maybe just have one AH for each hub & that hub is it's own thing, or have a wait time for the items you get to show up in your inventory. Add to the aviary plug in, have it be mail ordered. There are so many different ways to deal with this rather then remove it all together.

Weird to see all these people commenting 'but shops aren't stocked!' when the reason shops aren't used is because the AH itself is what renders them completely useless

I misclicked and voted for the wrong one Q_Q

If possible, full removal please. If compromise is required, no signed items please.

The AH thesis

Alright look. We’re discussing Auction Houses. An absolute STAPLE of the server’s current economy. So I’m holding nothing back- Maximum effort. Here’s a full freaking THESIS on Auction Houses, the Economy, Roleplay Possibilities and the Nature of Human Attachment so we get to the deep rooted problems:

Preface: Why discussions like these mark the beginnings of a server renaissance.

Tossing the ever-present drama aside, Staff decisions have been on FIRE lately. Roleplay is way more encouraged and has much more personal meaning when it is actively in the player’s hands. With aviaries, writing and holding an actual letter changes the game. AHs are another big thing that could improve server health. So you’re focusing in the right places. Screw war rules, this is the real tea.

Management being willing to put effort into changing AHs shows just how much care is being given to try and better our roleplay experience. The recent implementation of aviaries alone has been an absolute massive change in how long-distance interactions work and has created so many new faucets for roleplay. Actually anonymous notes, coded puzzle messages- I’ve never had someone eat my character’s physical letter out of spite before. Could it be that an Auction House change creates new possibilities, and places the agency in the player’s hands just like aviaries did?

Roleplay vs Convenience (Quests x Chores)

There’s a fine balance between being immersed and actively wasting your time. Trying to find merchants to sell you basic goods like wool or leather all around the map sure *can* be interesting, us being in a medieval setting an all, but at some point it just turns into a chore, you wisen up and question why you’re doing this to yourself. It’s like /walk’ing everywhere. Who does that.

AH is a grocery shop. You look, you nag about how the price of everything is going up these days, you buy things anyways. It’s fast and convenient, and you can buy a stack of wood, wool, leather, iron and whatever else. It gives you the raw materials for you to play around with without wasting your time.

Now, on the other side of the coin, *challenge* creates roleplay. When things are too convenient you’re actively preventing experiences from developing. Rarity is a good thing, and sending players out in little quests for cool items creates conflict and narrative.

The current AH is too tipped over to one side. A WoW-esc space where you can buy legendary artifacts for the low low price of 500 mina, and watch how AidenCoin stocks are really plummeting after that whole Celia’nor scandal.

Mina is the problem

What drives people to sell wacky stuff in the AH to begin with? Do they just want to spread the joy of high fantasy to all the minemen, and use their ST-approved railguns to help out the little guy in their day-to-day life? Of course not, are you kidding me? They sell things for like a thousand mina. It’s about that MONEY.

Let’s look at it objectively: Auction Houses are primarily an AMAZING way to make mina. There’s no RP, you just pop in, buy or sell, mina goes to your bank. Job’s done. Problem is: This isn’t WoW. The economy is in shambles. Mina isn’t needed for anything other than huge pastes (the *immersive* architect-RP experience of going to another server to build), wars (glorified pvp matches), or paying taxes which, let’s be honest, costs about 15 mina *a week* for the average player unless you run a clan house, but even then selling a 300 mina magic item is way too overkill. What are you saving up for, your son’s college fund? You’re a SPOOK your son HATES YOU.

Mina is another thing that should be looked at. As it stands, it’s all just a literal number. There are no physical mina, there is all risk, no reward in carrying mina with you when banks are all over the place. All this does is limit rp possibility.

Maybe mina could be actual items in your inventory. 1-mina, 10-mina, 25-mina coins that stack. Actual money you need to draw from your town’s bank and carry around, instead of doing the whole dance of walking into a tavern, ordering drinks, realizing you have no coin, running to the local bank and back before anyone notices you’re a filthy rich noble that’s too afraid to run around with 6 MINA for VODKA.

Human attachment

Believe it or not, you guys, us humans can create bonds with things. Even pixels. Even INVISIBLE pixels. Having personal history behind your items, even a history like ‘I got this talking sword by bargaining with a shady merchant’ creates much more depth than just ‘Bought if off AH’. So, allowing items to have that journey adds a depth we’re missing.

There ARE people who want to do wandering trader RP, but how can they compete? Why risk yourself, making deals with shady bloodmages and carrying highly explosive bottles to sell to ferrymen when they can just go to Walmart and skip the middleman?

T
here’s no relationships formed, there’s no rp for those things. I still don’t get why people want to sell items they spent 50 emotes on for some random dude in the AH, just for spare change. Create a STORY, you guys! You have AMAZING items you can make, use that power for NARRATIVE!

Closing thoughts

Look, nothing will fix everything. Of course things could be better. There is ALWAYS going to be something to complain about, and there are always ways to improve things. Birds lost a little flavor? Can they be improved? Of course! We players are always right and always have the right answers.

Why am I writing this? Because I want people to think of our foundations. Changing systems that were implemented since day 1 can be a good thing. Birds were a great change, AH change shows a willingness to make big moves for our community.

Anyways thanks for reading. Hope it sparks up actual thoughts instead of AH BAD or AH GOOD. I feel like removing signed items is a great start. Won’t fix everything, but will add a ‘problem’ that certain RP niches will need to fix with actual roleplay. A good problem to have.

Full removal.
No explanation.

Tfig + the AH has never let me be poor 

bread prices will skyrocket

Just vote full removal.

I think it should just be ST signed items that are removed from the auction house. While I'm against blue fire nukes in a bracelet, im not against books or vanilla food items, blocks, and simpler/mundane player edited items.

Also I personally feel like we should be able to vote multiple options on this poll- doing whatever everyone is most okay with is better than whatever most people like as their favorite, makes more people satisfied with the result.

I don't think a full removal is completely necessary. Signed items, unsigned items, and other roleplay related items definitely need to be out of the Auction House. From what I've noticed, it takes away largely from merchant and stall RP. Which brings more activity to nations and to... the merchants themselves. Not to mention, it rapidly affects the economy of things. 

However, I do believe the auction house should still stay for buildings blocks, food, etc. Unless we bring back the old mining pits from the days of yore, I don't see why building blocks shouldn't be on the auction house. As for food, please don't bring back the wheat farm. That was an actual pain to get through. 

Everything RP related = No auction house
Everything not RP related = Could be on the auction house