[Beta] Rollplay

Cjmate

Roll-Play 

General Information

Roll-Play is a roll-based combat system designed for Lord of the Craft loosely based off of DnD. I designed this system for my player events in order to create consistency in combat and give players meaningful character development. The rules are still being worked on, and I'm posting this here for feedback and suggestions.

Player Stats

Players use the following stats to modify their rolls. This allows players to customize their character to suit their playstyle. 10 is considered “average”.

Strength- How often and hard you hit.

• Modifies melee and bow damage rolls: Add your strength to your damage rolls.
  • Modifies melee hit rolls: Add your strength to your hit rolls.
  • Assists in strength-related skill checks, such as moving heavy objects. 

Dexterity- How good you are at shooting, moving and avoiding.

• Modifies ranged hit rolls: add your dexterity to your hit rolls. 

• Modifies movement: Add 1 movement for every 2 points above 10. Subtract 2 movement for every 2 points below 10. 

• Mitigates physical damage: Add 2 armor for every 2 points above 10. Subtract 2 armor for every 2 points below 10. 

• Assists in dexterity related skill checks, such as running.

Toughness- How much damage you can take.

• Modifies health: Health = Toughness X player level.

• Toughness can never go below 1. 

• Assists in toughness related skill checks, such as resisting diseases.

Mana- How many spells you can cast before tiring.

• Modifies mana: Add 1 mana per level. Mana recharges after resting or consuming certain drugs. 

• Assists in magical related skill checks, such as detecting magical devices or resisting magical effects. 

• If mana is reduced to 0, the player becomes unconscious.

Support- Life skills and diplomacy

• Modifies first aid: Add 1 to amount healed by field kills for every point above 10. 

• Assists in support related skill checks, such as bargaining, gathering diplomacy. 

Combat

1. Initiative: Whichever side engages first, goes first. Players choose when who gets to go in what order or their party.

2. Movement: You can move 1 tile per 2 dexterity. After moving, you may attack if you moved half or less of your total movement and are within range to attack (2 tiles for melee, 20 tiles for ranged).

Example- If you have 2 dexterity, you move 1 tile. If you have 20 dexterity, you move 10 tiles. 

1. Attacking: Attacking costs half of your movement. Roll a d20. If you’re using melee, add your strength; if you’re using magic or ranged, add your dexterity. 20+ is a hit. 

2. Wounding: Roll your weapon’s damage and add your strength to it. Subtract your opponent’s armor value from the roll and deal that much damage. 

Example- If you roll 12 on your weapon damage, and you’re strength is 10, your damage is 22. If your opponent’s armor is 10, 12 damage goes through. 

1. Magic: Magic ignores armor altogether, but players can only cast so many spells before they run out of mana. If your mana reaches 0, you pass out unconscious. 

2. First aid: First aid can be administered by anyone with a field kit. First aid can only be administered if the person applying first aid and the person receiving first aid are outside of combat. First aid takes both player’s attacking action if used in an encounter, but it can be used as much as needed outside of combat. Each player

3. Movement: After attacking, you may move again if you have any movement left. If you move out of combat, your opponent may choose to follow you 

Starting Your Character

1. New players start with the following stats:

Strength: 5

Dexterity: 5

Toughness: 5

Mana: 5

Support: 5

1. You may distribute up 25 points between your stats. Adding any points after 12 costs double points. 

-10 is the average, and anything below that will impact your character negatively; however, certain stats, such as mana, may not be useful if your character doesn’t use magic.

Choosing Your Race

Bonuses for races. Stat increases are applied after you make your starting stats.

Human

Humans are the descendants of Horen. Although short-lived, their ability to work together and maneuver the battlefield is second to none. 

• +2 support 

• Racial bonus: Horen’s Legacy- +1 to rolls for every human within 1 tile of you. 

Elf

Elves are the descendants of Malin. They aren’t used to the hardships of neverending warfare like the other races, but this allows them to focus on more important things. Their long lives and ancestry protects them from illness. 

• +2 mana

• Racial bonus: Malin’s Wisdom- When you fail to hit, make an armor save or cast a spell, you may spend mana up to the difference to force the roll to suceed.

-Example, if you roll a 19 and need a 20 to hit, you can spend 1 mana to succeed.

• Racial bonus: Boon of Longevity- +4 to saves against curses and illnesses. 

Orc

Orcs are the descendants of Krug. No race is as adaptive to harsh conditions and warfare as an Orc is, but their harsh lifestyle often leads to short lives. 

• +2 strength

• Racial Bonus: Krug’s Fury: After taking damage that would otherwise take your health to 0, your health is reduced to 1 and you can’t take anymore damage for the rest of the turn. You have first initiative for the rest of the encounter. One use per event.  

Dwarf

Dwarves are the descendants of Urguan. They are a stout, hardy people who hold their ground: and a grudge. 

• +2 toughness

• Racial Bonus: Urguan’s Greed: +2 to rolls against a target that has dealt damage to you before.

Honestly kinda pog

I'm glad you set this up for your events, and am personally a proponent of ST trying to adopt something similar for large scale events to streamline occasional 100 man CRPs. But in terms of player-versus-player combat LotD&D sadly doesn't work. By and large because our world and lore isn't written around stats and modifiers, or really numbers in any sense. I commend your effort, though.

I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING 

4 hours ago, alexmagus said:

I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING I HATE ROLLING 

Most open-minded PvPer

Honest, just ******* take the 5e dice system, problem solved.

10 hours ago, The King Of The Moon said:

I'm glad you set this up for your events, and am personally a proponent of ST trying to adopt something similar for large scale events to streamline occasional 100 man CRPs. But in terms of player-versus-player combat LotD&D sadly doesn't work. By and large because our world and lore isn't written around stats and modifiers, or really numbers in any sense. I commend your effort, though.

Yeah, this is specifically for my player events. Not trying to make it into something bigger than that.