[9.0] [Your View] - Map Size & Biomes

WestCarolina

MOUNTAINS WILL BE SO STRONG HOLY SHIIIIIII

I think having a very mountain and cavern heavy map next map will be good, and I don't say this just as a dwarf- not all mountains should look the same, and having a variety like that could be really cool- but there should defo still be a lot of lowlands for people to inhabit who may prefer the valley vibe.

Biomes look cool in concept just somewhat impractical to actually develop on. For map size I think 5k by 5k would be a little nicer to give breathing room without it feeling like 10 steps out my front door is another settlement.

Whilst a 4k by 4k might be a bit small, granted how many communities there are, maybe a 7k by 7k might be better? the size of the map is less the issue and more for the fact most of the land, be it tiles or places themselves are Jagged and unusable half the time due to layout.

For cloud temple. A interesting idea could be that. Like its name. I think there is enough lore to put it on some floating Island. acessed by soulstones (could also make it why they exist aggain)

nub wae

4kx4k too small, 5.5kx5.5k might be a bit better

imo there still should be some periods between finding settlements/group builds/etc but not as long as on almaris. i would prefer a smaller map though because you have to take into account if 9/10 biomes on the new map will be habitable and CT is off map, thats already a lot of space that we dont use anyway being gone

4k might be a little too small, I think a compromise is preferable.

Also I love the idea of verticality, especially if we will be taking advantage of the increased build height in 1.18 I strongly encourage there to be a floating island biome, to really lean into the high fantasy possibilities.

All i have to say is that the mountains this map are ass

19 minutes ago, PrinceJose270 said:

Whilst a 4k by 4k might be a bit small, granted how many communities there are, maybe a 7k by 7k might be better? the size of the map is less the issue and more for the fact most of the land, be it tiles or places themselves are Jagged and unusable half the time due to layout.

For cloud temple. A interesting idea could be that. Like its name. I think there is enough lore to put it on some floating Island. acessed by soulstones (could also make it why they exist aggain)

It is also important to take into account the fact that if we were to go for a smaller map, as mentioned, we would be making smaller tiles, too. If we look at the current tile sizes, they are considerably large, and much of the claimed landmasses not even used.

Thanks for the feedback!

As a player that is so often looking for places to do player events as well as one who plays mostly adventuring type characters, I absolutely love this map size. 4kx4k, in my opinion, would simply be too small. It would help generate rp between the different cliques and groups of rpers, but just as daily rp is important to the creation of story in LOTC, so too are personalized events, both large and small scale. I remember back in Arcas, when Siramenor was literally a 30 second walk from Sutica. It felt so displaced and squished and debilitating to the wood elf rp because there really wasn't space to do anything tribal aside from village rp. There was no forests, just a grouping of trees right past the walls that you could see through to another city. it was jarring and it made any rp outside of the walls difficult.

At the same time, neither is a larger map going to do us any good. We already have a ton of space that is unused aside from random player events, as well as a bajillion abandoned landscars that no one cares about.

Idk. I personally like this map size. I wouldn't want to see it shrink too much.

On another note, if the map was very small, something that may fit into a much more interesting type of fantasy feeling is sectioning the world into valleys and plateaus: sat up high, an icy terrain, or perhaps a jungle of enormous trees and great large waterfalls, while just down below at the bottom of the cliff's drop is a desert of dead sands and oldened bones. A stark contrast with almost no distance horizontally, but a great distance vertically, would be very interesting to see. 

But again, I'm just spitballing without doing too much thinking. I'm sure there's builders and storytellers with much more experience that could give more cohesive thoughts and ideas. Regardless, the hype to see what staff comes up with for next map is real. 

5k x 5k i think is a bit better. Leaves more room for new communities after the main nations have chosen their spot on the map. This current map though is way too big and whilst looking for nodes the amount of dead land in the north and south is astounding.

I love mountains and particularly mountain passes. They are cool.

No canyons, they suck ass

x

Me, dwarf irp love mountain. Me want large mountains for dwarves!

All honesty, these images look amazing! For the map size, I feel like having a map size that is sort of like Anthos with a tad bit larger just by very little would be good.

Map of Anthos : r/LordOfTheCraft

http://i.imgur.com/Bi9rMLD.jpg

The Map of Anthos the size of it was very good. The roads to getting to nations was very easy and having nations not super close but nearby at least I think is a good shout.

I'd love a smaller map, because currently it is impossible for me to find any kind of harvestable herb because of how big the map is now. I was running around each hub and their area for about three hours and only found two harvestable herbs. very sad