[9.0] [Your View] - Map Size & Biomes

WestCarolina

This map is a little shit but if anyone would like to reference / use it, by all means you may.
(It stops at 7k instead of 7.5k because I kept it to even numbers and didn't have a good map.)

Spoiler

unknown.png

Anyway, by using this I suggest we go 5500 x 5500 or 5000x5000. If you take all things considered, those two sizes are roughly the amount of space that is used even on this map. If we include and pretend that the fire lands was buildable, the Rimeveld was buildable, and the top left portion of Norland was accessible -- we have a lot of extra space for lairs and other things.

While mountains are nice and all and add elevation we need more useable elevation, like plateaus or massive hills which have a plains on top of them. Additionally, cliffs which stand over the water would be nice as it's really weird how everywhere on this map slowly transitions perfectly into the water. More Islands, like maybe three or four small ones, everyone wanted to conquest Haelun'or because it is an island and people want to do cool stuff with that. For more fantasy biomes this map was pulled off decent with the Firelands and Rimeveld but just make it buildable puh-lease.

Finally, while we're at it, tiles maybe? Have tiles be either hexagons across the whole map so it's seamless and nobody has those weird """corner hops""". Even make it so you can just expand upward 100 blocks for xyz cost / block.

Not sure if this has been said but

Maybe restrict how many tiles someone can have by activity (as in, a nation that has 2 people a week and is on its last leg wouldnt be able to tend to 5 huge tiles without them being overtaken)? Or stop nations from buying titles just to block other nations off like we see with Oren, Haense, n Norland.

53 minutes ago, Sorcerio said:

Also as a side-question: is map dev team recruitment still ongoing? Should we expect to hear back any time soon if we applied? 

Think for the phase we are on the team is going to stay the same or have very small changes. As we advance from the initial phase more people will be invited to development team.

38 minutes ago, Hiebe said:

Make it one giant island. Allow for the ability to expand the map or add additional islands if space gets used up. Islands could be for event lands or new island for player to explore/colonize. Problem is eventually all land gets used and people for some reason feel weird building over old builds etc. Most like a blank slate to design on.

Please look into elevation as well. Its pretty boring to have a flat map with mountains everywhere for the only differences. Have highlands, swamps, caverns, trenches. Even in the ocean as well. 

Glad to see sebs back on the team. Goodluck on 9.0

Love you boss man great suggestions!

1 hour ago, WestCarolina said:

So tell us, what sort of biomes would you be interested in seeing?

Not going with the same kind of cliche fantasy map would be a start, but then interesting lore or original settings were never this server's strong point

What matters more to a map is how it is laid out, not it's size. I personally found Athera dreadful since you could take 4 steps and be at the next city; it ruined emersion and felt that there was nowhere to breathe and live. I am an Anthos shill in that the map was decently sized, but the roads and environment provided natural corridors for RP hubs.

For instance, I thought that Kralta was perfectly placed because it was at a fork where you could either go above ground to Abresi or use the chasm pathway to potentially avoid other players. It was very memorable and gave an illusion that the map was larger than it was. I also liked how the mountains, albeit steep, had lengthy and wide valleys where people could set up. The mountains also provided a natural wall to indicate borders - as it stands now, mountains are just oppressive and expansive.

The biomes were also endearing in that they were simple yet effective; you didn't have 1/5th of the map devoted to cheese holes. The reality of  biomes is that bad builders will always grief them. On paper, having custom rock formations and terraforming is neat but it will be difficult to repair should someone build Polaris 2.0. All we objectively need is a nice sandy desert for orcs (jungles suck!), a good amount of GOOD elven trees, MM-styled Human terrain, fat and snowy mountains for Dwarves and some aesthetic cold wastes. We DO NOT need Jungles or Fire Biomes. I actually like swamps - Axio's Tahn swamp was very cool.

Also, build an event zone! Something pertaining to World Lore and will give an excuse for people to go venture and get bodied by bored ST. I think Ando kind of flopped because it was too Voidal  rather than something anyone could bite their teeth into. Make it like the glowing sea or something and use that new deep dark biome.

Just now, Islamadon said:

What matters more to a map is how it is laid out, not it's size. I personally found Athera dreadful since you could take 4 steps and be at the next city; it ruined emersion and felt that there was nowhere to breathe and live.

Athera was the best map this server ever had, the immersion complaint is pointless considering how poorly cohesive server lore, attitude, building and roleplaying styles are, being a mix and match from other more popular franchises

5 minutes ago, Salvo said:

Athera was the best map this server ever had, the immersion complaint is pointless considering how poorly cohesive server lore, attitude, building and roleplaying styles are, being a mix and match from other more popular franchises

t. Savoyard goon

I don't want to be in Urguan and see the Orks and Elves within render distance, conflicting with build style. I want to be in URGUAN.
GGBZ0ck.png

4 minutes ago, Islamadon said:

t. Savoyard goon

I don't want to be in Urguan and see the Orks and Elves within render distance, conflicting with build style. I want to be in URGUAN.
GGBZ0ck.png

skill issue

Just be prepared to double the size if Brazil finds lotc

Just now, megavoltar said:

Just be prepared to double the size if Brazil finds lotc

Would be nice to have some genuine passion and new blood for a change, give me a 100 SandK1ngs and I shall become the true lord of the craft

2 hours ago, Nooblius said:

MOUNTAINS WILL BE SO STRONG HOLY SHIIIIIII

I think having a very mountain and cavern heavy map next map will be good, and I don't say this just as a dwarf- not all mountains should look the same, and having a variety like that could be really cool- but there should defo still be a lot of lowlands for people to inhabit who may prefer the valley vibe.

Current map is v mountain heavy and its a pain in the ass to get anywhere. You're right in saying that there needs to be ample low land, though.

Personally, I prefer a big map and fast travel to be available. Not only does this give the impression of a vast fantasy world and keeps the sights from going stale quickly, it also allows plenty of space for player groups and allows powerful nations to project that power through size, as is done this map. Dont make it smaller, just make more of it usable and stop claiming large swathes of the map for "map lore and events" only for it to barely be used at all

I have a ton of ideas but please just add life into the terrain, add some rivers, streams, ponds, ruins and actual places to explore not just huge trees copy pasted around the same biome. Don't just use huge trees, create some awesome dense spooky forests like the one around Acre.

how about an actual fantasy world instead of plains

3 hours ago, Nooblius said:

MOUNTAINS WILL BE SO STRONG HOLY SHIIIIIII

I ******* LOVE MOUNTAINSS LETS GOOOOOOOOOOO