[9.0] [Your View] - Map Size & Biomes

WestCarolina

Try a 3kx5k for the map !

A more circular map will spread out a lot more RP (though also depending on where nations are placed . . .) 

but uh yeah emphasis on "fantasy" map 

Smaller map

CT on a separate island, not in the middle of the map

Unique, interactive biomes (not just plains/forest #24)

definitely need to see something more similar to axios with multiple islands, give me and others our naval rp : (

genuinely would be very nice to not have a continuum within the lands as one big continent and instead have it split up into multiple different islands and territories to make everything a lot more interesting. overall amount of land ? smaller. size of the map? you could make it nice if you were to have some areas specifically meant for events capable of being found by extensive searching across the lands and different seas, making seafaring rp a lot more viable and fun, and making it so that you have this sense of everlasting mystery about where things are and what there is out there

4k by 4k is a perfectly reasonable map size, we're just bad at using the space we're given. Athera packed as much or more stuff that we have right now into the same square and felt absolutely teeming with interesting places as a result. Plus it's just nice to see people, y'know?

Bit late to the party on the post, but I believe that some land should be near impossible to traverse without using the roads - say giant valleys with steep walls, etc. I want places that make me as a player feel small and areas where there is only one or two ways through a biome. I want big valleys, not with spiked mountains surrounding them but with flat land, like the Grand Canyon. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I want paths high above big drops.   

2 hours ago, FlemishSupremacy said:

Current map is v mountain heavy and its a pain in the ass to get anywhere. You're right in saying that there needs to be ample low land, though.

Personally, I prefer a big map and fast travel to be available. Not only does this give the impression of a vast fantasy world and keeps the sights from going stale quickly, it also allows plenty of space for player groups and allows powerful nations to project that power through size, as is done this map. Dont make it smaller, just make more of it usable and stop claiming large swathes of the map for "map lore and events" only for it to barely be used at all

Yea, I agree with this. I'm personally a fan of larger maps with interesting locations and biomes to explore. On the flip side, there needs to be some form of travel to be able to reach places, such as the previous carriages and whatnot. I don't think there's really been a place on this map where I've been drawn to explore, or really been wowed by it like I have been in previous maps. 

might be worth it to stick to the smaller map size, but maaaybe try having about 4k x 4k of usable space, right. then you could designate an outer "border" of the island/continent/whatever to be a sort of "outskirts" area for ST events, adventures, spooky volcano fantasy biome to explore, etc. gives both the players and staff some flexibility while keeping everyone more close-knit, and not forced to waste time traveling from settlement to settlement.

also pls keep the deserts i miss the axios caliphate settlement so much

Smaller maps definitely. I'm unsure of how 4kx4k would go, as I'd need some sort of comparison to earlier maps we've had that have been smaller, but anything a fair cry from our current map.

The return of Fast Travel was amazing in aiding a lot of our travelling issues between Nations, as while I understand the desire for road-side rp, it's basically a rarity that you'll be stopped on the road unless some group is in the middle of travelling to a Nation to raid.

However, a new issue has arisen with the return of fast travel, and I see it primarily in Oren (Where I believe the only fast-travel hub exists). Players make too many sub-regions that require fast travel. I spent the other day just hopping between the various human settlements each with their own carriage, and it was kind of ridiculous. If fast travel is continued next map, PLEASE make it something only established settlements and nations can utilise. Only a settlement that has pasted their build and retained a set amount of activity, thus proving they will stick around, should be given fast travel.
But that's just my opinion, ofc.

In regards to biomes, I'd love to see some more creative regions. In Vailor we had that giant flora biome, which was pretty awesome but I believe it went entirely unused unfortunately. But it would make a fantastic region for the Druids to reside in come next map. A simple search for 'fantasy biomes' on google brings forth ideas for giant mushroom trees, huge waterfalls (Which I would LOVE to see), interesting valleys.

What about a voidally afflicted plains with trees and earth that float and grow corrupted flora? Would make for good eventlines and almost any character, regardless of their background, could interact with it! Something we can freely explore and request a planned event if we'd like! - unlike this map's Voidal area which was unnaturally caused and immediately became a semi-pk zone (I think?) and was basically unable to explore without a group. Something more player-friendly!

I can see both ways with map size. Big map pros are that it gives room for lots of unique and interesting settlements with a more interesting premise than “medieval European” or “magical.” You likely wouldn’t have places like Yong Ping, Du Loc, and Balian if the map were a lot smaller, as it would virtually all be divided between the big nations that have existed for multiple maps.

Cons to a big map are, of course, the spacing issue with the entire server feeling empty when there’s a hundred players online because everyone is spread so thin (ok let’s be real, everyone is actually in Vienne). Additionally, most towns and settlements end up getting abandoned after a month or two, further making the size of the map pointless as everyone is in Oren or Haense anyway, and the countryside is littered with cities that no one will ever live or RP in (I’m looking at you, every city in Oren except Vienne).

The inverse is true for small maps; small maps can feel more alive and lush because you see people on roads all the time, and fewer settlements mean an overall higher population density in each settlement. But it does necessarily bring down the diversity of the settlements and make things feel a bit more same-y. Honestly, I think it would be interesting to start phasing out some big nations and sprinkling in something new. But nobody would like that bc it would mean tossing out a ton of lore and writing a bunch of new lore.

So, all of that to say, I think in a sense you’re damned if you do and dammed if you don’t because any map is going to have problems because of its size, just in different ways. But to put a positive spin on it, any map (provided you don’t go bigger than Almaris) is going to provide interesting and fun RP either because of its diversity or because of its density.

Also, that was originally supposed to be a short prologue to my actual point, but it ended up turning into an essay, so I’ll briefly make my original observation: I love that you say you’re gonna bring more verticality in LotC, as I think the verticality is really what brings a lot of wonder to the maps and builds more than the sheer size of the map. Towering cities, deep and murky chasms, and vast underground cities and passageways always leave me in awe and make me feel like I’m part of something bigger - literally. So, echoing the comments of those above, unique and interesting underground biomes like crystal caves, underground forests, creepy abandoned passageways and ruins, and vast, mysterious chasms would make the map feel all the more richer, while the more basic cities and towns spring up above-ground. Just my two cents.

Map size isn't the issue, I like the current map size. Just so much of it is there to look 'pretty' moreso than be useable. Focus less on 'will this look cool with shaders in screenshots?' and more on 'will anyone ever actually RP here?'

5500x5500- good in between. Also basically what Xarkly said, given, I did find it cool to not see 80 mansions right outside of Helena and rather have them dispersed about the countryside. I think jumping down from a 7.5x7.5k map to a 4x4k map is a big difference- I think a middle ground is better. Having those extra settlements and such- despite not having people RP'ing in them 100% of the time did make the world feel more alive in my opinion- perhaps even 6x6k- doesn't seem like much but removing 1,500 blocks from the border makes the world SIGNIFICANTLY smaller. Instead of it being 56,250,000 total it is now 36,000,000 total- a reduction of 20 million blocks. 4x4k would be 16,000,000- a reduction of 40,000,000 which will make the map feel super small and out of place compared to what we've grown accustomed to over the last two years.

something i'm not fond of is being able to stand in wood elf city A and be able to see high elf city B 100 blocks away. let communities be able to stand out from one another with their own land, not crammed shoulder-tight in a circle

people argue "but nothing on the server is immersive why do you care if-" of course not every single thing on the server is immersive, but the physical world around you is something you are constantly interacting with, living in, and seeing, where as other mechanics can be ignored or only seldom used on one's own volition, such as a soulstone, horse whistle, and auto-shops. you can't compare these mostly optional mechanics we have to the land and cities most of the server is constantly interacting with and roleplaying in

it's not the same