[9.0] [Your View] - Map Size & Biomes

WestCarolina

Personally I think we should go for 7k by 7k. 

I would LOVE to see more mountains and colder biomes, as well as warmer mountains with big forests! Or just forests in general. Maybe dark, spookier forest for the mischevious side of things? 

I’ve also always been interested what the void looks like- if anything. Of course that would hopefully not be on the main map but it’s still a cool idea some builder could grab if they ever get bored, y’know?

Also I know there was an event but can we please get rid of the damn holes in the ground?

10 hours ago, Xarkly said:

Here's an example of some I wrote back when I was on WT ages ago. I'd disagree with using some of them now, but you'll get the general gist of what I'm suggesting: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u4TVxFt9dTHGmYntW3HmAN9Z0-KqF1ikWrZGiovtWSc/edit?usp=sharing

Thats literally Almaris.

3/4 of them have been used.

A smaller map with just more realistic terrain. Seeing trees near double the size of city walls in some cases is actually ridiculous. I want to see more hills and less stupidly large mountains or other terrain features. 

Have a smaller map, and do the ‘you can’t buy tiles for [x] months at the start of the map’ thing so Nations have to focus on their capitals, citizens and playerbase rather than throwing them out in a vassal

use MCgen

it's a million times more interesting and realistic than the dumb shit we always get. you can tell that our maps are designed with everything set to plains first, and then they stick in some gigantic unscalable mountains and a few racial biomes here and there. it really shows and our maps are always painfully boring because of it

default minecraft generation is just a million times better and we should use it. just run it a few times until you get a good seed, edit it to make it feel more like a continent, and tweak from there

4 hours ago, Laeonathan said:

Thats literally Almaris.

3/4 of them have been used.

No, the names have been used, but the concepts behind making interesting regions hasn't, except for maybe the Tomblands.

gyElc4FeYL4jJ00nzCPDzxcruD687XiGIYQsmK3Z

RRB7HJapRW65H4Ais-STjE1bZFOeKZ5EUoGMFoAQ

also anyone who unironically thinks this is good map design needs to actually log onto the server

yes, those look absolutely beautiful from afar with a render distance about 1,000x greater than the one we actually have. but log onto the server and beautiful vistas like these become invisible and irrelevant, but what doesn't is the complete unnavigability of the terrain, or the inability to build anything on it without massive terraforming projects. design terrain based on gameplay and how it'll look close-up, not based on views that no player will ever actually get to see

more swamps, tropical / volcanic landscapes

You guys have never had the team effort and time required to accomplish proper high fantasy biomes, so they always end up looking like candyland, or straightup are unusable for builds, which if noone goes there or wants to, why even have it in the first place?

Go for low fantasy, and cut down on the mesa biome only for bits in the desert, and make said desert small. There's only a handful of people willing to go there, and making the entier southern hemisphere arid/desert was kind of a dodgy throw as everyone but Orcs who settled there wanted to change the biome.

Be smart, make a map for your players, not some bullshit checklist you're currently writing as is customary for the other maps. (i've made maps for lotc.)

2 hours ago, argonian said:

gyElc4FeYL4jJ00nzCPDzxcruD687XiGIYQsmK3Z

RRB7HJapRW65H4Ais-STjE1bZFOeKZ5EUoGMFoAQ

also anyone who unironically thinks this is good map design needs to actually log onto the server

yes, those look absolutely beautiful from afar with a render distance about 1,000x greater than the one we actually have. but log onto the server and beautiful vistas like these become invisible and irrelevant, but what doesn't is the complete unnavigability of the terrain, or the inability to build anything on it without massive terraforming projects. design terrain based on gameplay and how it'll look close-up, not based on views that no player will ever actually get to see

bless u 

GIVE ME A SMALL ******* MAP PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

GIVE ME A SMALL ******* MAP PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAPPLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAP

PLEASE SMALL MAPPLEASE SMALL MAPPLEASE SMALL MAPPLEASE SMALL MAP

6 hours ago, argonian said:

use MCgen

it's a million times more interesting and realistic than the dumb shit we always get. you can tell that our maps are designed with everything set to plains first, and then they stick in some gigantic unscalable mountains and a few racial biomes here and there. it really shows and our maps are always painfully boring because of it

default minecraft generation is just a million times better and we should use it. just run it a few times until you get a good seed, edit it to make it feel more like a continent, and tweak from there

legit modern MC Gen is actually beautiful, i dont think many lotcers play minecraft SP but the new world gen is awesome, would support this 

1 minute ago, space warlord organ trader said:

legit modern MC Gen is actually beautiful, i dont think many lotcers play minecraft SP but the new world gen is awesome, would support this 

it also does a lot of legwork in giving them an interesting subterranean like they want

2 hours ago, argonian said:

it also does a lot of legwork in giving them an interesting subterranean like they want

dude I didn’t even think about this, the natural cave systems are so cool now that’s an excellent point 

two words:

shroom forest.

Can we get a fantastical mushroom forest?