[9.0] [Your View] - Map Size & Biomes

WestCarolina

Why not make the map the same size and make it more accessible 

30 minutes ago, Gelones456 said:

I NEED THIS

A.jpg

This existed around Talon's Grotto in Arcas last map, though this map seriously lacked any sort of tropical environments. The one thing I'm hoping for next map is for there to be a bit more of a tropical area instead of being forced to settle for a giant swampy forest.

17 hours ago, Heartesy said:

I’ve also always been interested what the void looks like- if anything. 

640px-A_black_image.jpg

This map has many issues, but I believe the biggest one of them all is the scale at which the terrain was built. The trees that came with the map, and over all terrain is at a scale way too large for your average build. When trees are as thick and large as guard towers, things start to look wonky and feel disconnected. 

Please don't build for a trailer next time, go for something more natural. 

Also CT looks like a hypixel lobby. 

15 hours ago, argonian said:

gyElc4FeYL4jJ00nzCPDzxcruD687XiGIYQsmK3Z

RRB7HJapRW65H4Ais-STjE1bZFOeKZ5EUoGMFoAQ

also anyone who unironically thinks this is good map design needs to actually log onto the server

yes, those look absolutely beautiful from afar with a render distance about 1,000x greater than the one we actually have. but log onto the server and beautiful vistas like these become invisible and irrelevant, but what doesn't is the complete unnavigability of the terrain, or the inability to build anything on it without massive terraforming projects. design terrain based on gameplay and how it'll look close-up, not based on views that no player will ever actually get to see

While I agree with a majority of what you said, the point of these photos was to show what blocks we'll have going into 1.18 and what the biomes could look like. We have the ability to make forests look like autumn, or change the the atmosphere to feel thick and foggy. 

As the images of the north, volcano lands and swamps suggest, we want to *avoid* unusable terrain again next map. 

My suggestion is simple, make it so teleportation is limited extremely to two points (CT and nation of choosing) and make the map based around a central body of water that can act as the main ocean. Allow the sides, like pictured below:

1600645766_Urthgrum2022-07-29-17-57.thumb.jpeg.fbcebac10761e89f34f748319a20d3e4.jpeg

I say this because it allows Naval RP to play a more important role, as all nations/settlements/groups would be more likely to have access to a ship that can get them from one side of the continent to the next (Water Tiles matter wtf???), and playing into that allow Islands to not be isolated to one side of the map, allowing for unique angle of RP when a nation/settlement/group chooses to live on an island.

Another benefit would be clearly defined separation between zones, as each subcontinent, one East, one West, one North, and one South would be closest through shallow bodies of water or thin land bridges, but ultimately geographically disconnected with defined borders. With CT off map, there would only need to be 3 or 4 hubs, which could be in the farthest central East, West, North, and Southern parts of the map, so as to not get in the way of conflict or wars. Roads would be simple, and travel even more so. Want to get to the other side of the map? Purchase a boat or tag along with a local Pirate Gang or Nation's Navy that has rights to port in a far off dock.

I recall speaking about map design and travel limitations with Joel, and one neat idea is allowing the choke points (see the red circles as example) on the map to be blocked due to ST monster that locals are required to deal with, or else the only way through is via the big ocean which theoretically is filled with horrible monsters who often feed like to feed on the sailors who travel through their territory (Water Tile specific aquatic beasts for ST to run???). These events would require nations/settlements/groups to respond and deal with the threat. It wouldn't be world ending if it was not dealt with, but it would be a local thorn in every players side until it is open and passage is free. Inspiration is from the Serpent's Pass episode of Avatar the Last Airbender.

I know this would require ST to be willing to run world events rather than dedicated stories/event lines, but I feel a living world is better than playing in someone else's storybook. As for nations there would be very strategically viable tiles and tiles that may only be in-betweens, but if the tiles were downsized then this would simply lead to more thought being put into tile investment for nations/settlements/groups.

7 hours ago, Qaz_The_Great said:

My suggestion is simple, make it so teleportation is limited extremely to two points (CT and nation of choosing) and make the map based around a central body of water that can act as the main ocean. Allow the sides, like pictured below:

1600645766_Urthgrum2022-07-29-17-57.thumb.jpeg.fbcebac10761e89f34f748319a20d3e4.jpeg

I say this because it allows Naval RP to play a more important role, as all nations/settlements/groups would be more likely to have access to a ship that can get them from one side of the continent to the next (Water Tiles matter wtf???), and playing into that allow Islands to not be isolated to one side of the map, allowing for unique angle of RP when a nation/settlement/group chooses to live on an island.

I really like this idea. Having big military and commercial navies be central to nation RP would be amazing. Could make the whole map sort of themed around pirates and navy captains and all sorts of interesting marine archetypes. Could have some islands in the big sea where smaller settlements live and one central island, either where CT is, or some sort of trade-focused nation that acts as a middle-man for everyone else. This idea has tons of potential for interesting RP dynamics.

make cloud temple in the clouds, like hello?? Make it seem like you're a soul or something floating around cloud temple to descend back into ur body

Edited by ReveredOwl

8 hours ago, ReveredOwl said:

make cloud temple in the clouds, like hello?? Make it seem like you're a soul or something floating around cloud temple to descend back into ur body

Badass idea for CT Lore and Monk Lore. You don't remember anything about Cloud Temple once you come down too.

I think personally we should add salt flats because that's a interesting biome

4k x 4k is about 1/4 the size of Almaris. Unless its all land, its way to small. 5.5 k x 5.5 k seems a lot more reasonable.

I think all the player would love new mountains, because the ones we have right now at this moment suck...

I think a big map in itself is fine if you restricted the players to one part of it. The problem isn't that the map is big, the problem is that the players are too spread out. 

Ideally, you want to have a map that could be separated by different 'event biomes' (lavaland, frozen wastes, deep swamps, underground coves etc) which acts as a buffer between different nations

I mean imagine if ya had this massive mountain with a pass in it where you had to have two nations hold their wc, or a small pirate cove event chain formed in between two nations so both of them had some value that they could put into it. The haense ogre giant thing event chain was pretty cool and it could give better irp reason for people to be invested, when the stuff is just a few hundred blocks away from their city and in between another nation's it can allow more rp between two playerbases etc etc etc

tl;dr map size in my eyes doesn't matter, what you need to do is space player nations and areas deliberately designed for events in strategic and reasonably accessed distances.