A Man's Personal Heaven [PK]

Seuss

A Man's Personal Heaven

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The muscles that strained the man's face into a contortion of rage soon loosened. His eyes widened, and his pupils dilated - the blood in face having drained through his wounds. Over to his left, his disembodied leg that was torn and shredded from his body, riddled with frostbite. His slayer-steel knife stopped short at the Orc's neck as the large war-axe found home in the side of his chest.  

His desperate attempt to keep a young child safe from the harshness of villainous trespassers would not work in his favor a second time. As his body fell from the little effort the Orc used to hold him up, his eyes managed to shift towards the other end of the square. The BSK, and close allies, were in the midst of battle. He was sure they would succeed, and all will be right within the Red Walls once more. As his eyes steadily fell, the man felt a coldness he was not used to. Despite living in the North all his life, this breeze shook his bones and made his limbs quiver; at least, the limbs he still had. His consciousness faded out with the cries of battle and the roars of magic soaring across the sky between forces.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

His eyes shot open as his head sprung up from the pillow. His breathing spiked as he gripped the side of his chest where the wound would have been, but he was met with unharmed flesh and smooth skin. He looked around, finding himself in his home on Koenastriet. Confusion wracked his brain as the door opened, and his wife, Makenna, entered. 

"Good morning, Godric." She expressed with the kind smile he had seen on her since they met so long ago.  "I was going to wake you up sooner, but you were so deep in your dream."

He was bewildered, his heart settling as he tried to get past his nightmare. "Ah, ya should have woken me up sooner. Ah could have helped eym with breakfast."

"Don't worry your sweet heart about that. Adrian made sure to wake up sooner than the others to help me out. Now get dressed, big Adrian came over."

"Gramps is here?" he managed the covers off of himself, sitting up on the side of the bed. He stared down at his leg, as if he could not believe it was still there. He got up and dressed. Today, he did not feel like gearing up his usual outfit - cape, wrist guards and all. He walked down the hallway towards the stairs where his children, Adrian and Ada, were chasing each other around with toy swords. They ran around him for a moment and disappeared down the hall to their room. He made his way downstairs, the smell of different foods filled his nostrils as he turned the corner.

"Godric, my dear boy!" called out an old man by the window. He stood with the help of a cane, and by his side on the window sill sat the third child, Cedrick

"Gramps, what are eym doin' around here so early? Is everythin' alright?"

"Why do eym always assume my arrival brings bad news? Can I not visit my two Great Sonsons and my Great Dottirson?"

He could only respond with a chuckle at that. Makenna made sure to come about and pull Godric by his arm towards the table. His kids and grandfather joining him for breakfast. The room was filled with laughter, childish screams, and food thrown about like a war-torn battlefield. Godric had a smile as large as the Koengzom. As breakfast finished up, his grandfather took the kids to the living room to play. Godric was left alone, assisting his wife with cleaning up the table.

"I will take care of the rest, love. Could you grab some more lumber from the backyard? We will need more."

"Ah got it." Godric responded with haste, planting a kiss on his wifes' cheek as he passed by. He took a few turns from the dining room until he reached the back door. He glanced back at the sound of his kids playing around, and the hearty laughter of his elder kin. He opened the door and walked out. As he turned, he was only met with white. A literal white void, where nothing else was visible. He turned back, his mouth opening to speak, but choked on his words as the door he walked through was gone from sight. His wife, his kids, his grandfather and his home were gone. The realization settling in that he did not wake up from a dream, but was having one. His breathing hiked up as he turned once more, and turned again. He spun around trying to find the door, or anything to get back to his family. Alas, there was nothing but eternal void of whiteness. He felt his core fall to his feet as his legs buckled under him, collapsing him to his knees. He remembers what happened. How the Orc charged him, and the frost witch's spear that tore into his leg. He attempted all he could to bring the forces away from the girl they targeted, but he was made quick work of. He stared down at his lap, his hands unclenched and motionless before him, until he heard a voice.

"If ye aren't the proudest child I could have eva' had." The man's voice rung out from the void. Godric's eyes widened at the familiar sound and turned around quickly to the sight of his father - Eskil Colborn. "My son. I can't believe ye got to live such an amazing life."

Godric's eyes began to water, he struggling to get up to his legs, tripping somewhat. "Pa. . . is it true? Am ah where ah think ah am?" he asked, attempting to hold his tears back as he awaited the answer he already knew.

Eskil nodded once, confirming without words the answer to his son's question. "It hurts, knowing who ye will be leaving behind. But now ye know where they will end up after." he held his hand out towards his son to help him stand, to which Godric accepted. "I have been waitin' for ye for so long." he exclaimed as he pulled his son into a warm embrace.

"Pa. . ." was all Godric could muster as he wrapped his arms around his father, who died much earlier in his life. He pulled back some, looking his father in the eyes "Ah did not mean to leave them all behind. Ah am so selfish." The grown man spoke like a child in front of Eskil. He appeared helpless, and only wanted to go back to his family.

"Ye were not selfish, youngin'. Ye did that which others could not, and threw ye self in front of danger without hesitation. I have been watchin' everyday, and ye have done nothin' but bring pride to our family. I am so proud to have raised a son like ye." 

With the heart-warming words of his father, Godric noticed the empty white void fade. In it's place, large white clouds stretched far underneath them, and a bright clear blue sky painted overhead. He turned, throwing an arm around his father's shoulder as he did the same to his son. "Come now, Godric. Let's get ye introduced to everyone else!"

Spoiler

This is the PK Post for Godric Adrian Colborn. It's been great coming back after a while and fitting right back in to LoTC like I never left. Having amazing friends in different places made associating easier. Although there are those who aided me more than others, and were the greatest friends, I won't be @ 'ing anyone in this post. I cannot, in good faith, @ my friends and colleagues in hopes of getting everyone, because I'll definitely forget a couple or a lot.

I'm still sticking around, for there is work to be done when my new Colborn is born . . . in however long that takes. I plan to bring with that new character a framework never before seen in LoTC! At least, I think never before seen. I digress. Thanks again to everyone who I hung out with on the daily, oocly and rply. Woo!

Edited by Seuss

Thinking everything was alright, Ada Natalya Colborn put on her page uniform, ready to head on and do her everyday patrol. She passed by the farm houses, checking up on the crops and the farmers. Then she headed into the city, waving at the guardsmen at the front gates. The lass continued down the street, realizing something was off. The citizens of her kingdom had worried looks, whispering to each other.

The first thing she did was check in with the tavern, not noticing any different. Second, she headed to the clinic seeing if there were any injured. Seeing the wounded, she stepped out, allowing the medics do their thing.

She spotted Katerina and Isabel, talking to the Basrid family, noticing their behavior - the same as the rest from earlier before. So being the page she is, she walked over, hoping to find out what happened.

Instead, Isabel and Katerina brought her to the basilica, trying to tell her the horrific news. Ada didn't want to hear it, claiming the Lady Palatine was lying to her and it was just nonsense. 

In the end, she became resentful.

She resented Isabel Baruch for not allowing her to see her father. She resented Ser Conrad Barclay for not training her more. She resented Lucia Rutledge for not teaching her how to treat people. She resented Isadora Basrid the most since her father gave up his life to save hers.

Her bags were packed. Her room was left unlocked, leaving without a trace. Ada didn't want to return. Everyone failed her and her father.

Esmée Gabrielle Kortrevich stopped by the tavern, holding flowers and candles in her arms. She lit a few of them up, leaving them around the place. She left the flowers on the counter for the family. She was going to miss her friend dearly.

Spoiler

ooc:
i wanted to give you a huge thank you for giving me this character, its been so much fun 
ngl, imma miss roleplaying with you :(

Adrian sank back near the forge his father had originally taught him to smith and opened a bottle of Jaegermeister he had taken from the Haense Inn - it was his first official drink. The boy splashed some onto the ground in honor of his father and then began to drown his tears out with the grasp of the bottle. "Pappa....you weren't supposed to go yet.Co-Come back and help me find Ada...." Adrian said staring up forlornly at the large expanse of glittering stars in the sky that seemed even brighter due to the tears clogging his vision.  A little later on, hours after he'd drink the bottle down and sob for as long as his body let him, Adrian began back toward the city - for some reason it was daytime and the birds were out and teeming around the gates to the city of Crows. As he approached the gates his father was stood there atop his killer's bodies stoically staring off into the distance. Adrian smiled a wide smile, "Pappa...you scared me there for a moment," his arms extended out to hug his father. "I know you are probably mad that I drank, but please don't do that again Pappa. Or else..." he said with a long drawn out laugh. In an instant this respite from pain was abruptly put to an end  by the prickly and sharp straws of a scare crow in the Haense farm fields that he was hugging waking him from his drunken slumber. "Huh???" His eyes darted around at the wheat and cows that roamed about and then back to the scarecrow.... "You are really are gone now...." Adrian slammed a defeated fist into the scarecrow knocking it down before staggering over to the forge to grab the matching shortsword he had smithed for himself and his father, and his smithing matierials before returning to Haense "I will kill whoever did this to you Pappa. No matter the cost." Adrian declared - however, it didn't take long for the bottle to come calling for him again, and he'd find his sorrowful heart down in the tavern drinking his pains of his father passing and his Sister running away out of his life.

Yet another flower planted in Emilie's garden. A sad look upon her visage as she heard wind of her newest friend's death. She sat vigil upon her doorstep for that night.

Anabel Elia Colborn takes the time to read a book. She doesn't wish to dwell too much on the reality of the effects of this death upon the family - she's now been bestowed with Allyssa, the care of both Adrian the younger and elder, and Elia's meeting dubbed them responsible for finding Ada. Life is going to change from now on...

Borris Iver Kortrevich paused as he published his last poem. He set the stack down on the table in the square like he always had. Today, however, felt different. Then he understood. "Oh cousin." He could hardly say, his eyes lofting up to the skies. Yet he found no peace looking to the heavens. A man who was a large part of his life earlier was now lost to the Seven Skies. "Ea shall see vy vhen ea get there, mea cousin." 

Eileen Kortrevich had never really cried much. Not when she broke her arm, not when her sister ran off to be a vagabond. Only for her mother when she died, and now for her cousin as well.

Nastasiya never knew the name of the man, she didn't need to, she called him papej.

Despite being aware of his passing, she didn't understand the permanence of death.  The youth frequently found herself waiting for the man in the square of Karosgrad, her broad emerald irises desperately roving over the faces of those passing by, but even as time went, she never saw the face of Godric Adrian Colborn. The Ruthern's naive, innocent spirits were quelled as she realized that she may never see him again. . .

Edited by sondher

x

Erika Vatornik would offer a prayer for the family and the soul of Godric as she heard the news. 

"Taken too soon..."

Katerina tried her best to calm down Ada alongside the Lady Palatine. But she knew there was no point when it came to denial. The child would need time to herself and so she let her leave instead of stopping her. 

"May Godani watch over vy young one. Ea shall pray for vyr father's soul." 

Many years later, his memory lived on in story... "And so fell Godric, warrior of Haense, having given up even his life for his people. His memory lasts eternal, and few shall forget him for his sacrifice." An old man would hold up his ale, a toast to Godfric.

It had been a solid week for Zemzy, going back & forth from the city. Her bag had been filled & emptied countless times as she'd been usin the trips as an excuse to clear her mind from recent events. She still mourned the loss of Elias from Reinmar a month or two back, wonderin if she'd had been just a bit faster to find him, maybe she'd have gotten the answers she was so close to have found that day from the paladin before he passed right under her nose.

She rode back into town on her trusty bay horse, the steed slowin its pace to a stop within the front gate for this Oakheart to slide off the saddle with ease. "Thank yew, Mayple...." She patted its neck with a gentle touch, "I owe yew more than enough of your wheaties for all the haulin yew have helped me with on this move...."

Zemzy held onto the reins of Mayple's halter as she walked down the streets of Karosgrad to head towards the square, yet the air seemed.. off, she would've thought the feeling would've passed of her grievin for the paladin's passin already? It seemed like the town had been harassed once more while she was away, no doubt the first thoughts in her mind were from the monsters & ullrals that lurked outside the walls; the creatures awaitin for their chance to creep in through the gates to wreak havoc for the civilians, if the townspeople weren't already spillin their own blood over things like the last few months had taught her.

The other civilians looked shaken to the core, their murmurs wafted through the streets as she kept her head down, wonderin what had happened as she made her way towards the local aviary to check on any incomin mail for herself, when she focused on tryin to pick out a few voices at a time to listen in on their conversations without confrontation.

"...assault on a child...  ....massive fight...  ..Godric Colborn...."

Godric? She recognized that name, he had been part of the family that had taught her to work at their tavern within the city when she'd first arrived as a lowly homeless wanderer. She also knew him to be a family man, with how many children he'd watched over through the streets as she'd passed by, even questionin herself in those brief moments whether she should start up her own family someday with the way he'd raised his children in a good mood....

The lumberjack of a woman would turn to look towards the tavern & briskly make her way to the Old Stout Crow pub. The first floor decorated with donated candles & flowers of various colors, her heart sinkin deeper into the depths of darkness for the city. Was it really her fault her bad luck brought such chaos to the city, or was it just the city's own fault for not takin well enough precautions for the dire need to protect their own people....? Zemzy gave a soft sigh under her breath as the crisp, cooled air made her cheeks burn a bit before her shoulders sagged in sorrow, her loosened grip of the reins leadin her steed back towards her home still in the city.

"I.. won't ever forget yew, Godric.... Even if we rarely talked, I hope.. I can learn a thing or two from everything I'd seen from the sidelines...."

Catlaya Karyna Colborn had been sat eating some soup in her new home, her fiancé sitting across from her when she received a bird from one of her family members. Annoyance showed in her face as Thomas Obediah looked towards her with a puzzled expression “I thought I told them to leave me alone.” She speaks quietly before she eventually opens the letter.

Her eyes skim over the contents and her hand reaches her mouth “Faen.” She murmurs, the letter fluttering from her grip and finding rest on the floor “It’s…it’s Godric.” She starts, her knees buckling and taking their own spot on the polished wood “He’s dead…he’s gone.”

Cat casts out her line, tears trickling down her veil covered face “The way Ah see it Cat..” Godric begins, reeling in a fish. A cod, the biggest one Cat has ever seen. “Ah see it as an opportunity, we know Cole meant a lot to eym but eym can only go forward.”

Godric turns towards her, ruffling her hair “Eym can do that, can’t eym?”

“I can.”

Cat slips on her mourning outfit “I think…it’s time I went to see gramps.” She nods a few times, ready to face the consequences of the death of her most cherished and beloved older brother knowing how much of an influence he was on her life.