The Heists and Forums Update

Rilath

1 hour ago, Borin said:

minimum sentence requirement is cringe

nah this isn't that bad. it encourages quality over half-baked responses that only serve as snide OOC remarks protected under the premise of being "just RP." if people actually have something meaningful to comment under a forum post, 3 sentences is easy as cake

if anything i was hoping we'd see more emphasis on specifically targeting those kinds of responses, such as people asking rhetorical questions or their character making obciously OOC-inserted comments, which I think was the intent of this rule but i'm unsure

i was also hoping we'd see something that completely prohibits the concept of posting screenshots in your RP posts for the sake of OOC validity. seeing bunnylord #112 post an imgur album of all his pvp kills under an enemy propaganda post to "disprove" their claims, or seeing nation politician warrior post screenshots of roleplay for the sole purpose of proving that something did or didn't happen is extremely distasteful behavior that i hope can be addressed before it gets normalized, if it isn't normalized already. it shouldn't be able to happen even with OOC consent, because there's no reason to do it in the first place

1 hour ago, Rilath said:

Players may not use screenshots of roleplay or of another player’s skin without their permission.

29 minutes ago, Rilath said:

its super easy to just shoot someone a discord message saying "yo do you mind if I talk about you in my post"

I understand this is probably targeted at like, execution posts or wanted posters where people just straight up post the accused's persona skin, but does this mean if I want to post a screenshot of a tavern gathering (or other similar sort of event) I have to go through and DM every single person involved for permission? If that's the case then using screenshots of roleplay isn't worth it and I'll just resort to random stock photos or old 19th century pastoral artwork for whenever I make newspapers talking about recent events.

I know what you're getting at but this change does make it difficult to make certain types of legitimate, non-toxic forum content without a lot of added hassle.

I like using shader screenshots for forum posts whenever they're relevant, and sometimes it's nice to show off players participating in events on the forums when it makes sense for an RP post. It's a simple way to put some extra effort into your posts and I'd hate to see that become more difficult.

45 minutes ago, Rilath said:

its super easy to just shoot someone a discord message saying "yo do you mind if I talk about you in my post"

please see ninja's response

I didnt have a concern w ease of doing so, even though now I look, yes its easy to 'shoot someone a discord message' but they still need to reply to said message and actually give consent
but the Issue is that having to even ask for consent is silly, as per reasons given by other people before I could respond

2 hours ago, Rilath said:

Posting “r” or otherwise reserving a post for later editing and updating.

yessssssss

5 hours ago, Rilath said:
  • Players must roleplay with a character which they currently control and play.
  •  

Irreleventus Horen III laughs from the seven skies, proceeding to pen another commentary on current human politics centuries after his death and publishing via roleplay comment for the whole world to see how right he is and how wrong the current people are!

5 hours ago, Knights5544 said:

requiring consent to include somebody's character within a forum post will likely prove to be a very slippery slope

This is a gross over-simplification of the rule, which only applies to mentioning a character's death if they haven't pked without permission. Moreover, this has been in the rules for a while. 

6 hours ago, Rilath said:

Sharing forum account information with other players.

What does this mean exactly? You can't link forum profiles to other people?

Very nice to see rules are being worked on and refined. I agree with most that is said, I think most points here will limit forum toxicity.

How do lair/settlement/nation accounts work, will they be effected by the "No sharing forum account info with other players"?

11 hours ago, Rilath said:

Players may not use screenshots of roleplay or of another player’s skin without their permission.

Agree w/ NotEvilAtAll on this one.. This would mean that technically, no one can ever include videos of RP. I could never post one of my streams on the forums, yet my streams are still publicly viewable on their own?

I was under the assumption that if you're roleplaying on a Minecraft server that can be accessed by anyone in the world at any time (via Wandering Soul), that you should just assume that anything and everything you RP on there could be public, y'know?

2 hours ago, marimbamonk said:

Agree w/ NotEvilAtAll on this one.. This would mean that technically, no one can ever include videos of RP. I could never post one of my streams on the forums, yet my streams are still publicly viewable on their own?

I was under the assumption that if you're roleplaying on a Minecraft server that can be accessed by anyone in the world at any time (via Wandering Soul), that you should just assume that anything and everything you RP on there could be public, y'know?

Why are you spinning Zac

12 hours ago, marimbamonk said:

i really feel like this rule could be fixed with a simple clarification to only pertain to things such as execution posts or victory posts, while excluding harmless events, streams, or flavor images. the biggest difference here is that one is often done in malice wherein players "PK shame" another no matter how good or bad the build-up was of the RP, and the other is almost always harmless

12 hours ago, marimbamonk said:

I'm going to be honest chief, I'm not a fan of your streams because people always spam the DMs of the people trying to RP where you go when you stream. 

1 hour ago, rukio said:

I'm going to be honest chief, I'm not a fan of your streams because people always spam the DMs of the people trying to RP where you go when you stream. 

Totally fair; didn't know this was happening. You're saying that people who are RPing characters where I'm at on my stream will be flooded with DMs of other people, spamming them and saying "you're on stream you're on stream" and stuff like that? or what?

I feel like there should be a rule about spamming, or we just add a system where you can block DMs from someone. Not sure how else we solve this. I would say screenshot the spam and report it to a Moderator, but then what's the consequence? We don't have a system for blocking DMs or reporting spam in DMs that I can find

3 hours ago, marimbamonk said:

Totally fair; didn't know this was happening. You're saying that people who are RPing characters where I'm at on my stream will be flooded with DMs of other people, spamming them and saying "you're on stream you're on stream" and stuff like that? or what?

I feel like there should be a rule about spamming, or we just add a system where you can block DMs from someone. Not sure how else we solve this. I would say screenshot the spam and report it to a Moderator, but then what's the consequence? We don't have a system for blocking DMs or reporting spam in DMs that I can find

Or trying to tell them what they should do in RP which floods their chat and makes it harder to keep up, et cetera. 

I don't think being able to block DMs should be the solution, given that's how you resolve stuff like someone running off w/o RP etc. 

Moderators also don't really do anything to anyone unless you're a violent offender like me or a nation leader.

10 minutes ago, rukio said:

Or trying to tell them what they should do in RP which floods their chat and makes it harder to keep up, et cetera. 

I don't think being able to block DMs should be the solution, given that's how you resolve stuff like someone running off w/o RP etc. 

Moderators also don't really do anything to anyone unless you're a violent offender like me or a nation leader.

Yeah but look at him spinning

Weee