[Treasure Hunt] The Relics of Brunhyldir

marimbamonk

[!] Notices have been posted in the major settlements of Almaris. Here's what they say: [!]

"Denizens of Almaris,

I seem to have misplaced some of my most prized possessions. They are cherished relics of ages past, and I wish to see them returned so that their memories can be kept. 

There are nine of these relics, from what I can remember. Please, once you find them, send me a bird and I will see that you are rewarded suitably."

[!] Posted with the notices are descriptions of the items and hints as to their locations...

The Nine Relics of Brunhyldir

[1] Brunhyldir's Quarterstaff (Wooden Hoe)

Location Hint: "Deep below the ice." //

This gnarled quarterstaff was carved from an ancient birch wood and carries a slight magical vibration when held. Wielding it, one could almost feel the conflicted, storied history bound within its knots, grooves, and edges. Now, as the myriad powers it once called upon slumber, it serves as little more than a reliable walking stick.

[2] Beardscalibur, Blade of the Accord

Location Hint: "Plucked above their domain." // (The description of this item is also a hint to its location.)

This hulking greatsword was chiseled from ancient dwarven stone and measures just over seven feet long from pommel to tip. The name “Beardscalibur” is carved in dwarven runes on the blade, though surely it would have taken no less than two or three dwarves together to wield it... Or one orc.

[3] Brunhyldir's Ascended Robes

Location Hint: "Please don't use this as a jersey." //

This pristine set of white robes was sewn from an enchanted cloth and lined with a blue trim. Though they bear resemblance to the garb of a mage, they still seem to allow a generous amount of mobility when worn.
It seems these particular robes are marked by a darker story, however – splattered across the front of them are several stains of long-dried blood. No matter how vigorously the robes are washed, it seems the spots of blood can never be cleaned off.

[4] Brunhyldir's Undead Robes

Location Hint: “In the Veridian, in a forest without light.” // 

This tattered set of black robes was sewn from an enchanted cloth and lined with purple trim. They smell faintly of smoke and charred flesh, and the residue of blood, bile, and ash is deeply set in the cloth.
Though the power of their enchantment has long faded, the robes still seem to exist in antithesis to the light. A creature of Good alignment would get a profoundly unsettling feeling while holding or wearing these robes.

[5] Brunhyldir's Cactus Green

Location Hint: "A remote bayou camp." //

Most could identify this wad of dried cactus flowers, leaves, stems, and seeds by the pungent smell alone: cactus green. Upon close inspection, however, it seems this particular clump of the psychedelic has layers – like an ogre or an onion. The deeper layers are very old, perhaps hundreds of years old. The clump’s maintenance seems to have been attained by the constant addition of new herb materials on the outside and a delicate degree of watering.
By that measure, it seems this fist-sized bundle of the substance is the “Theseus’ Ship” of cactus green, aside from the ancient, living root clump buried deep inside.

[6] Banner of the Bloodsworn

Location Hint: "Ask and you shall receive." //

This tattered cloth banner must have originally been some sort of white tarp used to provide shade from the desert sun, but it was crudely dyed red with the juices from crushed beetles, scorpions, and scarabs. In the center of the banner is a cluster of handprints of all different sizes and heritages. They appear to have been stained into the cloth with blood. Judging by the deep, ruddy color and spottiness of the blood and the condition of the banner itself, it must be hundreds of years old.

[7] Totem of Gul'Thak

Location Hint: "Near the giant's fall." // (The description of this item is also a hint to its location.)

This sandstone statuette is small enough to fit in the palm of an orc’s hand. It roughly matches the shape of a tortoise, with fine grooves and detail around the head and shell of the creature. Carved into the spiked hexagonal plates of the shell are various runes in Old Blah. They all seem to be bound to a common root word in that ancient, spiritual language – “the earth.”
The totem is mundane, cracked, and damaged in a few small spots; it has not called upon the power of the elements in many, many years.

[8] Totem of Takacha

Location Hint: "At the ends of the world." // (The description of this item is also a hint to its location.)

This simple totem was carved from a desert willow wood, small enough to fit in the palm of an orc’s hand. It roughly matches the shape of a serpent, with fine carving to represent its scales and two long, blunt fangs. Dry, blue patches flake away from the wood when touched, indicating that this totem may have been painted long ago to match the waters of a desert oasis. An Old Blah rune is carved into the forehead of the serpent; one who understands that ancient tongue would recognize the rune as the elemental symbol for “water.”
The totem is mundane, cracked, and damaged in a few small spots; it has not called upon the power of the elements in many, many years.

[9] Totem of Draumolac

Location Hint: "Atop the peak of highest flame." // (The description of this item is also a hint to its location.)

This slender statuette is warm to the touch, and seems to have been carved from ancient magma stone. Small enough to fit in the palm of an orc’s hand, it roughly matches the shape of a great lion, with an impressive mane of fiery fur and delicately carved teeth. One of the lion’s arms is raised, as if ready to strike, and an Old Blah rune is carved into its paw there. Those who understand that ancient language would recognize the rune as the elemental symbol for “fire.”

---

Rules:

• There are 9 relics to be found. 
  • The first person to show me or give me a particular relic is noted as the Finder of that particular relic.
    • Alternatively, you may send me a screenshot of the relic in your inventory in place of showing it to me in person. This makes it so that if you die while carrying a relic or someone steals it from you, you still have proof you were the one to find it.
  • A Finder will only be rewarded for ONE relic; once you've found one, you're good! Ideally, I want 9 different people to find a relic, one each.
  • Admins, Game Moderators, Community Team, and Story Team members may not participate in this treasure hunt. Sorry!

Rewards:

Each Finder will receive the following:

• 1100 Crowns
  • An in-RP meeting with Brunhyldir, an orc who has been around since Aegis, LotC's first map. Ask or request anything of him!
  • [!] Remember: you will only be awarded for finding one relic. Once you find one, encourage your friends to search for the others!
Edited by marimbamonk