His Mother's Keeper

Halt

Courtesy: @Nectorist

Spoiler

HIS MOTHER'S KEEPER

22nd of Owyn's Flame, 1887

FullSizeRender_420_org.jpg

“Are you deaf, man? Your name!”

The words of the ruddy-faced guardsman rung clearly in Thomas’ ears. His heart, which for a moment had stopped its heavy thudding, resumed again. As the blood began to travel through his veins once again, the man could think clearly.

Best to give them a false name for now. The governor may be more inclined to hear me out, but I can’t bet my life on street watchers.

Thomas looked away from the guard, and to the governor’s palace behind him. Brick, brick, and more brick. A man could spend a lifetime counting each and every one, laid perfectly atop one another. A short wall, starting from the palace wrapping around the estate; encompassing the post office, the granary, and the servant’s quarters, akin to how a mother embraced her children. It was the largest building for miles around, by far. Still, it was the home of a provincial governor, assigned to oversee farming and ensure grain shipments were sent on time. It could not hold a candle to the lavish courts of Montclair or Vesetta, never mind Langford or Pronce. Regardless, it was Thomas Augustus’ last chance at finding a home. It would have to do.

“Well? I haven’t got all da-”

“Edwin. My name is Edwin. I come from Fenbel. I bear news for Governor Richton, from Lord Amiel.” Thomas reached inside his overcoat, pulling from it a few crumpled papers. “The drought has rendered five of our mills unusable. I’ve come to see if Obel can spare any flour.”

The guardsman looked over the papers for a moment before handing them back to Thomas. “Not that I can read them. Go on in.” He lifted his halberd and stepped aside, allowing the man entry.

The interior of the palace was as similarly unspectacular as the exterior, though it was clear that Governor Richton had spent a small fortune on decorations. Rugs from Oyashima lined the floors. A mixture of boar, deer, lion, and other animal’s heads lined the walls. A chandelier, clearly made from the craftsmen of Arkent, hung from the ceiling. A handful of slaves, servants, and attendants scuttled throughout the house, but aside from that it was mostly quiet. Ascending a polished wooden staircase, Thomas made his way to the second story of the palace, where he was told the governor’s office would be.

The second floor of the palace was little more than a narrow hallway lined with plain wooden doors, save for the very end, where a large double-door, laced with silver and painted black, was waiting. Presuming that this was the governor’s office, Thomas made his way down. Though he tried to keep quiet, his footsteps thudded loudly. When he had finally made his way to the end, he rapped his knuckles upon the door. Without delay, a low, guttural voice responded. “Come in!”

Governor Richton’s office was nothing short of a catastrophe. Papers and books flooded the room in messy, haphazardly-stacked piles. Black tea, or was it ink, had seeped into one stack, and instead of throwing them out, the governor had allowed them to languish in a corner. The governor himself, a short, portly fellow of middling age, sat behind a desk that was no less cluttered. The only saving grace was the large, uncovered window in the back that led out to a small overlook. The room, thankfully not bereft of sunlight, could at least be shown in all of its unholy glory.

“Sit, sit!” Governor Richton called out to Thomas cheerily, gesturing to the two seats in front of his desk. Both were occupied by stacks of papers. “Never mind those,” Richton assured him. “You can set them aside.”

Thomas warily made his way over to the right chair and carefully moved the papers onto the floor. He sat in it and stared across to the balding, fat Governor Richton, who bore a small smile. “Thank you, governor.” He shuffled through his overcoat again, passing the same papers as before to the man. “I am sure you are aware of who I am.”

Richton nodded, and his kindly smile turned into something of a smirk. “Baron Sirion informed me of your impending arrival… along with a recommendation that I have you thrown in the cells.”

Thomas’s heart dropped when he heard the words. It was rare to even be received now at the courts and estates he ventured to. His lineage was too high to be allowed near the jobs of the common man, yet his family’s station was too lowly, too disgraced, for his presence to be welcomed or even tolerated. He had hoped that in Obel, a place greatly disconnected from the many great courts and intrigues of Aeldin, he could find a home. Now that final door appeared to be closing.

“Please, Governor Richton! I’ll work for you in any office, high or low, and not resent my service. Give me a small room here, and I will work loyally and ably until the end of your service,” he begged.

Richton did not respond, and instead looked over the papers that had been handed to him. “Your mother makes a similar appeal here, it seems,” he scoffed. “How kind of her, given the sort she was. Does she fare well?”

Thomas thought back the beatings he had endured by her hand, the drunken mess she made of herself in the castles and estates of each host. More often than not, her incessant groveling and begging had resulted in the two of them being thrown out. More often than not, she had blamed him for it, and rendered another beating. The last time Thomas had seen her was well over a year ago, and by then it was clear the drink had taken what was left of her feeble mind. He quietly hoped she was either being well-cared for or was burning in hell.

“As usual with her, Governor Richton.” He shrugged. ”Probably not too different since the two of you last met.”

The governor laughed at that.

“You've got her wit, at least. One of the few things she possessed. Tell me, Thomas Augustus, what do you know of tending a field?”

“Nothing, Governor Richton.”

“Of directing grain shipments?”

“Of surveying land, so it may be sold and distributed for use as a farmstead, or any other necessary purpose?”

“Of settling legal disputes between grant holders?”

“Then what use do I have for you? Do you think I’ve room to sponsor some wastrel courtier? To give you a cushy job behind a desk that doesn’t require the brains of an ox?” The governor squinted at Thomas with small, beady eyes. “I thought you’d have learned from your father’s example. He went around begging for postings, as you once did. The fourth son of a man two generations removed from a baron in Sabonen, himself five generations removed from an emperor. Yet still, he called himself a ‘Horen’ and said that he ‘bore the blood of the dragons.’ He was no dragon, Thomas. He was a pathetic sod who married a wretched woman, and they both pissed away their meager inheritances.”

“I understand, Governor Richton.” Thomas clenched his teeth, staring back at the man with a stony gaze. He had no love for his mother and never knew his father, yet he could hardly tolerate these insults to his family, to himself.

“An hour before you did, I met with a cobbler’s son who was seeking work. Some of my farmers needed their shoes repaired, and we had few spares, so I hired the man on the spot. To think that I have more use for a cobbler’s son than for the ‘blood of the dragon’.” Governor Richton laughed again, though this one was far crueler. It was evident to Thomas that the man could no longer think of him seriously. “How old are you, Thomas Augustus?”

“Thirty, Governor Richton,” he answered through clenched teeth.

Richton laughed again, his large gut wobbling as he did so. “At thirty, I was overseeing repairs to border fortifications to the east. Yet, looking through your records now, I see nothing of note…” He flipped through a small stack of papers before him, neatly aligned and presented.

“If I knew that my service here would be limited to being an object of your jests, then I would have brought a glove, so I may have challenged you for the slights you make,” hissed Thomas, gritting his teeth as he rose from his desk. “I bid you a good day, Governor Richton.”

“Stop. There is one thing I see here, and it may just be your lucky ticket to make something of yourself, belated as it is,” Richton called out to Thomas, gesturing for him to return to his seat, which he did. The governor then put one of the many papers before him. “It says here that you took part in some anti-piracy operations off of the coast of Endaen.”

“I did, yes.”

“It doesn’t seem you served with any great distinction, but that matters little. You have experience, which is what my brother needs.” The governor rose from his desk for a moment. He waddled to a chest in the room and opened it, pulling from it a large map, which he unfurled atop the desk, knocking aside a quill and several books in the process. “He’s an admiral in the navy, if you weren’t aware.”

Thomas’s eyes went wide, and his spirits returned to him again. “I know ships, yes. Anything your brother may need, I can do.”

Richton nodded. He then pointed to a cluster of islands on the map, far to the south and west of Aeldin. “Here lay the Duchy of Furnestock. Have you heard of it?” Thomas shook his head. “I thought so. They’re far away, and have had little relevance. Until now. They’re a collection of sixteen islands, conquered by some prince from the far west half a century ago. Some of our traders have found that the islands are rich in spices, but we’ve long been denied the rights to found a port of our own. Now, though, the tides have changed.” He drew a circle around one of the islands on the exterior of the cluster, the smallest of them all.

“Agathor wants a port here, and now we’ve the opportunity to. News travels slowly from the west, but whispers have reached me. Oren is no more, leaving Furnestock isolated. My brother has been authorized to lead a small fleet to force the governor to grant us rights to build a port. We don’t need, or want, the whole thing. Just one port.”

“Am I to join this expedition, then?” Thomas asked.

“Precisely. No doubt they’ll put up some resistance. It shouldn’t be too much, but we’ll need someone to lead the forces ashore. Agathor has been blessed with peace for years, but it means we lack men with combat experience. You bring some of this. Succeed here, and we can promise to outfit you a ship, which you may take to anywhere you want. However, it is best you leave Aeldin behind. You carry with you the burdens of a lineage that benefits you little, and parents that have weighed you in debt. Make a life elsewhere, Thomas,” the governor said, now quite sincere. He clasped a hand on the man’s shoulder. “Your mother, the wench that she was, saved me once. Consider this a favor repaid. I’ll let you reside in one of the guest rooms for tonight. Tomorrow I’ll give you a letter, which you are to take to my brother in Pronce.”

Thomas sat there, stunned. For years, he and his mother had traveled from court to court, begging for some estate, some income, some job that they could work in service of the local lord, lady, or governor. In almost all cases he had been met with rejection, shunned for sins that were not his, and mocked for a name he could not live up to. Now, though, opportunity stared him in the face. He needed only to wrap his fingers about it, grasp it, and never let it from him.

In a far off land, an ashen-skinned elven sorcerer hands an enveloped letter to his travelling companion. 

“No further for me, my friend,” says Drelyth Remnevani. He places his grey hand back within his scarlet tunic. 

“This is where we part ways, Almeida. You are to take this and do as we discussed.” 

The swarthy mercenary showed no deference to his hated warden, taking the missive and ambling to the dockside. 

@excited

Edited by Esterlen