On the Matter of Indefinite Bans

Orlanth

true

free narthok nect and hugh...

A lot of really good points. 

From a bystander's perspective it seems like one of the admins just goes "oop there they go!" and bans someone... 

I remain with the opinion that it's better trying to approach the issue then banning someone right away. Banning often doesn't resolve anything, if the person who's getting punished isn't approached in a human, friendly way.  Of course, with its limitations. 

As someone who's been given an indefinite ban (5 months then appeal) I have to agree. Bans don't solve much, and is just a way of admins telling players "We don't want you on our server". This is a very intelligently written post!

Unfair? Yes. However, it's the job of the Admins to steer the server in the direction they want it to go, and that means banning people entirely.

I think it's harsh, but I could see it being a needed thing in the eyes of the Admins.

pls let hugh go

A gamer who's hijacked other players' forum accounts to send death threats and obscenities to a playerbase is currently unbanned. I unironically still have the forum message I received from him.

Another gamer removed from staff for PEX abuse and strolling around on the server with a banned player's alt account on their side was never in fact banned.

Why are NLs held to much higher an expectation than staff, and why is it that the only staff infraction that seemingly warrants a permanent ban similar to the one handed out to NLs is the infraction of Pun/Flambo/Sky?

Also, as an NL you'll be in crossfires with every single discord message and forum post stashed away for evidence for an eventual ban report, no matter how small a fraction they are of what you send a day. I've had an ongoing report against me a week into being an NL quoting an "offensive version of a transformer song lyric re-write targeting a playerbase". Usually it's the case of a community reaching for OOC tools to "get rid of" an NL. In the case of that report, I'm glad moderation saw through it and handled it appropriately.

i didn't really read the post but hey guys this is one of my favorite lumineers song

13 minutes ago, ScreamingDingo said:

indefinite bans been taking out members that'd abuse a warning system to continually do dogshit things. maybe the issue isnt the indefinite bans but the fostering of behaviors that these players are encouraging which is ultimately anti roleplay and gets people banned for disrupting the spirit of roleplay for ooc'ly scheming, intimidating and colluding in schemes to alter ic actions

While in some cases this may be true, in others it's most definitely not. Indefinite bans were more recently used as a tool for OOC gain rather than used to prevent OOC. I'd each ban be considered individually, as I asked, instead of casting a blanket statement that indefinite bans are only used to prevent bad players and ooc schemers because that's simply not true. 

Also I'm glad you missed me.

The Server population has been the same as always. Unless you count the covid times as normal.