I can't find RP.

Laeonathan

My fave thing is a lot of the time some groups just ******* outright refuse to involve new people :DDD I remember b4 I took a break I went to haense n some people just outright refused to rp with me, must have been there at least 10 minutes listening to their rp and I just went in to introduce myself and the most ******* aknowledgement I got was "refused the elf's introduction, continuing on"

Same thing has happened to plenty of other cities, lot's of people have their little cliques and as soon as you try to even introduce yourself in it they'll just ignore you and continue to rp without you, either through outright ignoring you or through moving somewhere else. Some groups in this server are just highschool cliques and they need to learn to involve people otherwise it just makes the server feel a little more empty

Toxicity on this server isn't just argghh you (insert slurs here) it's just neglecting other players :)

p.s. love you haense but if I have those wannabe witchers ever pull that move again I'm going to crp them in your tavern

In general

Based take.

Truth be told is that most of the time I feel like I have to create the RolePlay for others to make the given time interesting for many. It's a difficult task for anyone to just spark up the roleplay and to make it flow naturally, but if you manage to do so, people will flow to it as well.

Roleplay is not just a - take and no give - thing. You have to think about ambition of your character, about reasons and use those to strike up conversations. Getting on blindly to the server and just hopping around hoping for something major to happen so you have a character development is usually how you end up bored and leave the group/nation/server.

I'm always happy to have some folks come up and strike a conversation with me out of blue. For example @Emp_palpatineis a blessed guy who always invites me over for a cup of tea, and by gods, that small bit of RP sparks joy for me.

I also try to push onto people who live within the Clandom to be a hospitable bunch, so if some random person comes over, they are greeted with the RP. Invited to enter the tavern, invited for a drink, being presented with an opportunity to try and get some Role Play.

And that part above is something that I found always to utterly annoying in many of the nations and settlements I would visit - people just stick to their group and don't have any curiosity about the foreigners. They just run past another player unless spoken to. You don't have to speak with everyone, you don't have to be so wild and outgoing, but at least saying a hello to someone, and greeting them to the place they visited always gives some reason to speak back.

Sedan always has cool little passive rp, whether it be duels, drinking competitions, random monster attacks, etc. Hate posts like this because they demonize the server for having no roleplay when roleplay is all over and you’re not willing to look under a rock to find it. Maybe adding fast travels might help settlements and nations generate rp :P

You haven't played enough if you think people will go out of their cliques

3 hours ago, Laeonathan said:

That is what is needed - another person. One is enough. And then you start roleplaying. It gets boring because nothing is happening? Your fault entirely.

But I want people to bring me on epic adventures and shower me with magics & artifacts. 

For those who cant find rp just fish, fishing will bring u many roleplay. There are several of us FishRp'ers scattered acrossed the map. Ez ratio

As a new player I'll provide perhaps a fair and fresh look at the current state as I've currently seen them with no previous biases spanning a decade. I've been very active for my first three days and I've roleplayed with everything from established kings, to vagabonds, to freshies just like me.

It's a mixed bag. Most - about 75% of people will give you genuine rp if you actually go out of your way to contribute something, not just a "hello". 

Just yesterday I assisted in an arrest with my fellow officer and we pulled the guy into a drunk tank and we had a chat about him - and decided not to press charges on him as he was already a drunk wretch. Later, I was sat by myself in a bar. Later, that fellow officer - who was a stranger at the time bought me a drink and we had a wholesome chat. It was truly GREAT rp. 

Other times- I'm flatly, and outright ignored by groups of up to 3/4 people even in a casual setting such as bars/taverns.

It just happens - nothing you can do to change that. 

I also saw a guy in the Haense square the other day. There was like 20+ people there, and like 5 different interesting storylines were going on. I saw the guy log on, walk over to a chair - and sit down. Surprise surprise - no one even bothered to talk to him because he was too anxious to get up and say hello to someone so he sat in the same spot silently for 30 minutes, got bored and logged off- and that was his fault.

So in total, there are three reasons I can see why you cant find rp: 

Your timing is wrong/youre not offering anything interesting. (This is the majority.)

People are chuds and wont let anyone into their clique. (A tiny minority, but it's the thing that clearly makes people the most angry when it does happen.)

You're being too nervous and blaming everyone else. (The silent majority.)

Otherwise - most of the time if you just go do something, you'll get rp. You cant just expect people to add to your experiences without adding anything in return. 

Edited by SethWolf

no I mean I can't find a city w/ more than 2 players in it who aren't randomly sprint jumping around WHERE ARE THE MINECRAFTS STEVES

There are definitely a lot of things that I disagree with you about within this post; however, I do agree with some of what you're saying. I can attest that the player base is partially responsible for some of the problems regarding the "lack of roleplay." Primarily, it seems to be that player-ran events are definitely not as frequent and common as they used to be. Furthermore, I personally feel like many communities aren't generating enough content for their playerbase; nations and towns don't seem to be offering many events or things to do nowadays. Sure, I see cities and communities offering "tavern night" left-and-right, but that gets stale after awhile. 

8 hours ago, monkeypoacher said:

no I mean I can't find a city w/ more than 2 players in it who aren't randomly sprint jumping around WHERE ARE THE MINECRAFTS STEVES

Yeah I think that's what most people mean when they say they can't find rp.

On 8/31/2022 at 3:15 PM, Laeonathan said:

...a sentence I've heard quite often recently. Partly due to the fact that we're late in the map and have a lot of groups. There is however another larger issue that is forgotten:

RP cannot be found. RP needs to be created.

At most times, all major groups have at least one person easy to spot the moment you walk into their city. Yes there is the chance they're afk. Usually they're not.

That is what is needed - another person. One is enough. And then you start roleplaying. It gets boring because nothing is happening? Your fault entirely.

You could have made your character do something interesting. All characters have the ability. Depending on the size of the city, or well: It's population, a few or sometimes 20 people will naturely join in, if something happens. And sometimes they'll join in even if its not that interesting.

What you can do? Depends on your character, but a few ideas.

- Have your character accidently walk into someone.

- Play a child and run around people asking dumb question.

- Have your character take offense by something

- Just say hello your anti-social basement dweller

- Challenge characters to cherry-spitting contests

- Try and sell something.

- Accuse them of being a known criminal

- Literally do anything that comes into your mind and is in the boundaries of the rules

Tldr;

Stop being dumb and quit trying to find RP. Start creating RP! If RP is boring it's 90% your fault.

Casually walk them through the ages, imparting your knowledge onto them, become very good friends with them and weep at their demise. 

To add - allow your RP to be organic, don't force anything. Set out with realistic expectations and allow the flow of RP to dictate the course moving forward, don't force RP to make sense in your favour if it doesn't. 

Also to expand - share your experiences in roleplay with other people.