Safe RP & You (Coping vs. Seething)

critter

As a banned player who has been involved in so many of these situations, I've come to learn LoTC as much as RP affects people OOCly, is just a game. Both the combat goons, who only care about their ego/gaining pixels (loot), and the roleplay enthusiast who falls in love with their characters story both fall into the "we are forgetting this is a game" category. I've done it before numerous times, and its something that should be spoken about more often I think.

Great post

+1

2 minutes ago, Jentos said:

I'm going to make sure every member of the azdrazi community disregards this post and ensure that every interaction we have with other players results in the maximal amount of emotional trauma and psychological discomfort. 

Thank you. 

Yes, this was the goal. In fact I explicitly wrote this to ensure that every community who so desired would now have the exact weapons in their hands to further hone their torment of the playerbase. I will now rest upon my laurels in peace.

3 minutes ago, critter said:

Yes, this was the goal. In fact I explicitly wrote this to ensure that every community who so desired would now have the exact weapons in their hands to further hone their torment of the playerbase. I will now rest upon my laurels in peace.

Screen_Shot_2020-07-06_at_2.29.40_PM.jpg

keep yourselves safe

3 minutes ago, critter said:

Oh no oh my oh dear I always knew it I always did Critter is evil Critter is eviiiiiiiiiiiiil.

In all seriousness I think character bleed is a very very important thing for people to understand, and I have long loved to hear Critter's thoughts on it.

Wow, this is great! Glad someone put this into words. 

I think part of why people might have some anxiety with CRP, dealing with villains specifically, is that they always assume the worst and that they'll be killed and their stuff taken. An important reminder to all is that if a character dies, you don't have to pk (unless you're under a lore imposed pk clause, duh). If people would like, I think I'm going to do something sort of like this, explain your intentions to the person you're going up against! Not to the point of meta, but maybe just say "I'm here for the rp, I won't take your stuff if I win," or something along those lines. Of course, only do this if you plan to keep to your word

1 hour ago, Sorcerio said:

Wow, this is great! Glad someone put this into words. 

Thank you! I appreciate folks taking the time to read it.

1 hour ago, MeteorDragon said:

I think part of why people might have some anxiety with CRP, dealing with villains specifically, is that they always assume the worst and that they'll be killed and their stuff taken. An important reminder to all is that if a character dies, you don't have to pk (unless you're under a lore imposed pk clause, duh). If people would like, I think I'm going to do something sort of like this, explain your intentions to the person you're going up against! Not to the point of meta, but maybe just say "I'm here for the rp, I won't take your stuff if I win," or something along those lines. Of course, only do this if you plan to keep to your word

Yep. This is on both sides of villainy, too; it's really key to remember that players =/= characters. There are villain rp'ers who are genuinely some of the sweetest folks, and it's their willingness to do healthy villain RP that adds more depth to everyone's experience.

That being said, totally agree here. The trust has to be built mutually, and a quick check-in goes a long way when it's coming from a player with a villain character.

As someone who just pk'd a long time character in a conflict with critter themselves I just wanna mention that having these methods thrown out there before, during, and after by critter really made the experience a lot more fun. Plus honestly, it enhanced the rp itself quite a bit as well. Especially compared to some other less-than-stellar crp I've had in the past. 

Great post!

Simple but critical. Thank you for putting it to words, I've always felt and understood this but have never seen it written.