A Vale's Haunted Woods

Xx_BloodStalk_xX

Spoiler

ArtStation - A forest spirit

The children of the Vale gathered 'round an old 'ame, weathered by time and half of his gaze shrouded by long greying hairs. A twirling staff of mahogany rested within his wrinkled hand, his frame moving back and forth upon his rocking chair, creaking with each second. The children sat around him and listened to his many tales, things of heroism, beasts, and the fantastic tales of their kin's history. Though one mischievous child thought it best to continue prodding at the one sitting in front of him. They asked them to stop, but they persisted. The old 'ame had not noticed until they grew too loud, to which he said:

"You'd best behave, oem'ii. Lest we take you to meet the Great Sage."

The child scoffed, dismissing the elf's claims. "The Great Sage isn't real!" They insisted. The elder rocked back in amusement, a hand coming forward to lightly brush the front of their beard. "Is that so? Nay, the Great Sage is very much real, I assure you. Once, he held shrines across the realm. He even frequented our home, once. Though the Greenblades thought it best to cast him out. And he took his shrine with him!.. perhaps that'll be our next story." A small hand raised, and a child spoke up. "The Great Sage! What does he do?" The elder stopped his chair, pressing his feet against the floor and slowly leaned in. "He takes in bad children, and turns them into mushrooms!" They said with widened eyes. Then, they leant back, looking off to the side. "Or.. does he make you dance to death?"
Another dismissive shrug left one of them. "I told you it's not real!" They said, to which the elder suddenly shouted. "He's very real, I tell you! Very real indeed." A curious boy soon asked; "Then where is his shrine?" To which another quickly spoke up. "It's not his shrine! They stole it! Stole it from the Mani, he did!" There was another bout of arguing before the elder slammed his staff onto the ground. "Silence! I'll tell you well. The Great Sage took his statue and left, flew up into the air, he did! In attempt to mingle with his own kind. It seems he grew tired of harassing us mortals, so he attempted to go back home." 

Just like the elder had spoke - within a flying statue laid a spirit of the woods, thrashing about the interior of their shrine. "Ow, ow, ow!" The bandaged monkey rubbed its aching head, screaming as it plummeted towards the ground. Then, with a crash, a flash of light entered the woods - leaking magic about the area. After the statue had sunk into the earth, a few boards of wood pried open to have that little thing flop out, rolling onto its rump. It looked around, and quickly beamed, leaping up and down as it scanned the forest about it. "I made it, I made it! Made it back home, I did!" But it was wrong, yet how could one tell a single forest from another, should the trees look the same? "Come on out, everyone!" They called.

Soon, the forest erupted in a symphony of laughter.

"The crash had merged our realm with the Sage's realm. In their effort to get home, they had cursed the forest surrounding our home!" The elder explained. "There is nothing that bothers them more than bad children, and should you enter their forest, they'll curse you. They'll play tricks on you, too! Make you get lost in that forest, strip you of your skin and turn you into a skeleton, I hear!" By the time the elder was halfway through his story, most of the children were shaking in fear. "So listen and listen well. Avoid delving too deep into that forest.."

Every now and again, the forests outside of the Vale will glimmer with a wave of golden light - and the depths will be bathed in a thick layer of fog. One would do well to take care, should they decide to enter the woods.
[PM if you enter the forest and want to interact]

Spoiler

((me, already prepping a certain chaos child to break some rules...))