Discussion - Gates and Inactivity

ronin_champloo

Sounds like the fault of the settlement

If Gates are closed they're either stupid or in conflict irp imo (Unless you're like Haelun'or and its part of your culture)

The only nation I've ever seen really have an issue with this was Oren- granted hnor too but they usually had people around last time I was there.

Though in all honesty idk anything cus I sit in my basement and do alchemical rp

I don't see the issue.

Even on low activity numbers you can Creq and ask what places are active.

And there's plenty active places. Haense, Urguan, Celianor, Vistulia all have great activity.

6 minutes ago, Laeonathan said:

And there's plenty active places

I nearly spit out my water reading this. Maybe 2-3 places at a time will have over 10+ players and that’s at nearly peak times

above posters need to think about this from the perspective of a noob and not as a player who knows where activity is and how the server is

a noob who wanders and finds 5+ dead settlements with locked gates is barred from exploration and organic interest. if you turn around and tell them “well you didn’t know where to look” that’s a problem with the product not the player 

citizen doors should equal instant entrance to any raiding party larger than a group of 4 who rps having a small battering ram or a blasting potion. they’re stupid and have never made sense. seeing people zoom in through a set of tiny doors next to the giant gate is clown world. just keep the gate open. 

Ruh roh, time for the 80 millionth “gate bad” post this year!!

in all seriousness though i do agree, every city I’ve RP’d in ever has died out because we’d enter a war and all of a sudden army leadership demands to keep the gate shut no matter what leaving the city only accessible to people with door perms! 

not meant to advertise but i am currently making my own town in what is old oren lands and both me, the builders and other leadership have decided that walls are stupid and thus we’re leaving them out to allow for free movement inbetween the outside world and us thus making it that much eaiser to rp

I complained about this in OOC chat yesterday so I 100% agree. While I understand those who are arguing that it's a settlement problem it is becoming a server problem. Upon spending a few minutes getting to a nation only to find their gates closed many players get discouraged. Repeat this once or twice more and most players will just log off. Additionally look at this problem from a noob standpoint. If I join a roleplay server and can't find any roleplay I'm just going to log off and return to SRP.

As you mentioned, I think rules preventing permanently unmanned shut gates are a great idea. Players should be allowed to creq or mreq for the main gates of nations to be opened if they're unmanned and on raid cooldown. This will at least prevent raiding parties from abusing the system while allowing roleplays to roleplay.

59 minutes ago, PXY said:

1 - Make Settlement/Nation gates OPEN, unless they are actively manned by someone. No leaving the gate CLOSED and leaving it like that for a few hours.

2 - The removal of citizen doors. If a person wants to come in, they can go in via the gate, leading to guards actually being required to do Gate-Duty (I miss those days from Adria).

Oh, hey I suggested the combination of this a while back. Honestly, citizen doors make no sense anyways and keys get taken and given without any roleplay transpiring in most cases. 

10 minutes ago, Asutto said:

I complained about this in OOC chat yesterday so I 100% agree. While I understand those who are arguing that it's a settlement problem it is becoming a server problem. Upon spending a few minutes getting to a nation only to find their gates closed many players get discouraged. Repeat this once or twice more and most players will just log off. Additionally look at this problem from a noob standpoint. If I join a roleplay server and can't find any roleplay I'm just going to log off and return to SRP.

As you mentioned, I think rules preventing permanently unmanned shut gates are a great idea. Players should be allowed to creq or mreq for the main gates of nations to be opened if they're unmanned and on raid cooldown. This will at least prevent raiding parties from abusing the system while allowing roleplays to roleplay.

well its not helping that goons run around wrecking events and the like whenever they can, and just waiting on the cooldown to vanish before hitting again, while i hated how oren had its gate issues, mostly because the civ doors upkeep was trash, i can understand the need to lower the gates

1 minute ago, KamikazeReaper said:

well its not helping that goons run around wrecking events and the like whenever they can, and just waiting on the cooldown to vanish before hitting again, while i hated how oren had its gate issues, mostly because the civ doors upkeep was trash, i can understand the need to lower the gates

Then just have an active guard force so the gate is being manned? You shouldn't need citizen doors to get into a place and it just breeds a worsened 'us vs them' mentality that has plagued a lot of player bases for a long time now. 

21 minutes ago, MailC3p said:

Ruh roh, time for the 80 millionth “gate bad” post this year!!

in all seriousness though i do agree, every city I’ve RP’d in ever has died out because we’d enter a war and all of a sudden army leadership demands to keep the gate shut no matter what leaving the city only accessible to people with door perms! 

not meant to advertise but i am currently making my own town in what is old oren lands and both me, the builders and other leadership have decided that walls are stupid and thus we’re leaving them out to allow for free movement inbetween the outside world and us thus making it that much eaiser to rp

POV: Me in ISA discord flaming @Borinabout closing the gates and how we need to keep them open (AIS war) unless someone is on to man them. When we didn't listen? Ghost town. Dead nation. no RP. 

5 minutes ago, KamikazeReaper said:

Hence why my suggestion was to modreq to open gates when nations are on CD. I can understand why gates are closed during events but when a nation is on CD they should keep their gates open.

Plus if youre having problems with roleplay bandits they should probably be dealt with in a roleplay matter instead of mechanically blocking them out of your city.

Gimme Guard RP
Gimme Open Gates
Gimme Goblin

I think the issue more lies on the staff that is unable or unwilling to cull inactive settlements and nations. The Vale has their gates closed 24/7 and we have never had activity issues, so I do not think forcing people to keep their gates open is an effective solution to this problem.