Discussion - Gates and Inactivity

ronin_champloo

In general I will speak out of my own experience as a settlement leader.

Gates are difficult as hell. Gate duty is a boring choir. Oftentimes it boils down to repeating the same sentence over and over again.

During events it removes the given person from active roleplay and it defeats the purpose of the server. It brings safety to others, but if no one volunteers, you are forced to actually deny someone with the fun experience.

People saying "deal with bandits in roleplay" forget that it is not as simple. Even if you defeat them once, twice, thrice, they can come back again and again. It is a battle with windmills until one side gets bored.

Removing citizen doors is a fun idea, sure, but then some communities will be bullied into dying out, as they are too small to hold an active big guard force, or bandits come at times when the activity isn't at its peak. Keep in mind, bandits who come to raid towns don't come as 2-3 people. At least 4 people usually come, and to have 5+ active guards is a hard task even for a nation. And the crp lock won't help when guards need 15 or 20 minutes to gather in bulk usually.

Forcing someone to spend x hours at the gate is not a good idea. The fact that if the gate is mechanically opened, people can run through it without any rp is not a good thing either for the idea of removing citizen doors. 

In general I personally push for keeping gates as often open as possible, but by gods at times there is no other way but to keep them closed for an entire day. 

20 minutes ago, Wulfery said:

In general I will speak out of my own experience as a settlement leader.

Gates are difficult as hell. Gate duty is a boring choir. Oftentimes it boils down to repeating the same sentence over and over again.

During events it removes the given person from active roleplay and it defeats the purpose of the server. It brings safety to others, but if no one volunteers, you are forced to actually deny someone with the fun experience.

People saying "deal with bandits in roleplay" forget that it is not as simple. Even if you defeat them once, twice, thrice, they can come back again and again. It is a battle with windmills until one side gets bored.

Removing citizen doors is a fun idea, sure, but then some communities will be bullied into dying out, as they are too small to hold an active big guard force, or bandits come at times when the activity isn't at its peak. Keep in mind, bandits who come to raid towns don't come as 2-3 people. At least 4 people usually come, and to have 5+ active guards is a hard task even for a nation. And the crp lock won't help when guards need 15 or 20 minutes to gather in bulk usually.

Forcing someone to spend x hours at the gate is not a good idea. The fact that if the gate is mechanically opened, people can run through it without any rp is not a good thing either for the idea of removing citizen doors. 

In general I personally push for keeping gates as often open as possible, but by gods at times there is no other way but to keep them closed for an entire day. 

Speaking as someone trying to run a military for a settlement that just got nation status, this is very true. Despite the raid cooldown being up until later today, Bandits often come when the gates are open and bait the cool down trying to instigate conflict with their presence or often times just outright villainy despite being reminded that there is to be no hostility on the tile. I wish it could be better, but some players try to game the rules and make gates necessary. 

Edited by ErikAzog

2 hours ago, rukio said:

Then just have an active guard force so the gate is being manned? You shouldn't need citizen doors to get into a place and it just breeds a worsened 'us vs them' mentality that has plagued a lot of player bases for a long time now. 

POV: Me in ISA discord flaming @Borinabout closing the gates and how we need to keep them open (AIS war) unless someone is on to man them. When we didn't listen? Ghost town. Dead nation. no RP. 

When I first met Borin he complimented me because I was literally the only Oren guard that was ever willing to do gate duty and even then that eventually faded anyways because doing gate duty 3 hours a day for a month gets  ******* boring

2 hours ago, MailC3p said:

not meant to advertise but i am currently making my own town in what is old oren lands and both me, the builders and other leadership have decided that walls are stupid and thus we’re leaving them out to allow for free movement inbetween the outside world and us thus making it that much eaiser to rp

Walls are indeed stupid, just kill raiders and bandits, simple as

itt: people who don't do gate/patrol duty saying we need more guards

Do gate duty.
Go ahead, stand in that gatehouse for 3 hours.
Fill up that 2am-5am gatewatch slot yourself.

Alternatively for the gateless:
Do the patrols.
Go ahead, patrol without stopping to rp for 3 hours.
Fill up that 2am-5am theft hotspot yourself.

4 hours ago, BobBox said:

I nearly spit out my water reading this. Maybe 2-3 places at a time will have over 10+ players and that’s at nearly peak times

Me when bobbox is right

Why can't the bandits and burglars agree to not do stuff at 3 am est when no guards can be online and the builders and nation leaders agree to not have unmanned gates and lazy iron door spam citizen doors so that everyone on the server immediately has a much better experience?

A lot of these problems could get cleared up with communication, although perhaps that's much to idealistic for the server and we're firmly set in our ways.

gates just enforce the private server meta of the communities on the server but they're necessary to deter the bandits who just mess around for clicks or intentionally ride the lines of the rules to borderline harass people via a weird taunting mix of ic-ooc antics :(

it is time to just utilize the ban hammer for these people and hope for NLs, etc. to be the change they want to see with gates/citizen doors (ew)

if some people regularly need mod intervention in their rp interactions with other people, maybe they need a break from conflict rp 

imo this doesn't require staff intervention. ppl can reap the rewards of leaving their city open or suffer the consequences of keeping them shut. one size does not fit every community, and some places make more sense if you're not allowed to just walk into them (high elven racist capital, druid grove, etc.)

it would be cool if staff cracked down on fugly parkour-proof ladder-proof walls though. or the number of citizen doors you're allowed to have, while simultaneously making it harder to raid a community into submission. it would be fun if you could sneak into the seedy underbelly of a city thru the sewers or climb over a gap in the wall where it's still being built or something, but because adding these features leaves you at a disadvantage to everyone else no one bothers and the character of the world suffers

On 9/7/2022 at 1:40 AM, Barbog said:

itt: people who don't do gate/patrol duty saying we need more guards

Do gate duty.
Go ahead, stand in that gatehouse for 3 hours.
Fill up that 2am-5am gatewatch slot yourself.

Alternatively for the gateless:
Do the patrols.
Go ahead, patrol without stopping to rp for 3 hours.
Fill up that 2am-5am theft hotspot yourself.

or alternatively

whoever last mans the gate can open it when they leave it, and ppl who get caught from 2am-5am can cope and seethe

55 minutes ago, monkeypoacher said:

it would be cool if staff cracked down on fugly parkour-proof ladder-proof walls though. or the number of citizen doors you're allowed to have. it would be fun if you could sneak into the seedy underbelly of a city thru the sewers or climb over a gap in the wall where it's still being built or something, but because adding these features leaves you at a disadvantage to everyone else no one bothers and the character of the world suffers

If anti-ladder walls are to be banned then ladders shouldn’t be allowed in siege battles either. Otherwise siege battles are blob fights just like field battles but on the walls or in the town square instead of a field.

bro PLEASE give me guard rp

im literally crying and shaking rn please 

i remember atlas guard rp in dominion that shit was FIRE noobs let people who shouldn't have come in all the time! shit was hype! there was like a banned character list and everything it was super cool

-unrelated but

now its like "ermm...what the deuce? You slaughtered five people in a neighboring nation? ok...you can live with us! plese give us activity!111"

super lame shit unreal also bring back 1.8

where are the goons, people, where are they? they don't exist is the answer, you're being lied to by schizophrenic ex-orenians so that they can keep the gates open for more activity without being gooned by goons who don't exist so that they can bandit the events that aren't happening because the activity numbers are down and the server is dying because of school but there's too many people playing in too many different places and we all need to rp more together but that will never happen so we're just supposed to watch while the server dies while it isn't dying because the story team aren't running events all the time while simultaneously driving all the rp on lotc through numerous events. in any case, it doesn't matter because the server is toxic and evil and horrible and everyone who plays on here becomes jaded and toxic and we shouldn't have children on here because I don't like pink tags and pk them whenever I get the chance. but i don't do that, pvp goons that don't exist do because people get bandited with low quality roleplay all the time and it's really bad because bandit rp is low quality and stupid and not happening enough we need to make it happen more guys. they have pure ooc intentions, the ferrymen do some of the best most genuine rp I've ever seen and they don't exist really, they just do what they want because it's all ooc, we should ban them all because that would benefit server health 

source : Shapiro-bio.png

I genuinely believe I'm one of the most active low-rank military personnel/town guard players on the server. I legit just do guard/police/soldier rp all day but I still go out of my way to avoid gate duty. That shit blows because it's a bootleg Papers Please experience that no one wants to do except for maybe the one or two turbo nerds that always volunteer for it but even they get worn out by it. 

Its a rp server - and whilst yes doing gate duty is technically rp - I don't care. It's boring and I just browse memes on my phone and wait to copy and paste the same NPC dialogue to the next poor schmuck that just wants to go refill his shop chests. 

Edited by SethWolf