The Ballad of Jace Evans, Pt. 1 - [OOC]

Urahra

4Bwxnwi.png

fpMPAL8.png

d3h6nTg.png

OOC:

I met my husband Thorten (now @Ludulo) while playing LOTC in 2015. We got married in 2018. Back in 2015, Thorten decided that he was going to screenshot all of his character's roleplay. He played his character Jace for a little over a year, resulting in 6000+ screenshots.

He gave me a thumbdrive containing all 6000+ screenshots. I've looked back on them fondly over the years and I thought it might be nice to share some of them with the LOTC community. It's a really fun trip down memory lane for those of us who played in Oren during 2015-2016.

You may notice I've covered some text up with black. I edited out OOC conversations, direct messages, server notices, troll RP, and stuff like that. I did this for ease of reading so that you all could enjoy focusing on the story and the roleplay.

Without further ado, I present...

The Ballad of Jace Evans, pt. 1

pW40q0y.png

EPISODE 1 

"Karovian Peasant"

Spoiler

The man known as Jace Evans appeared in the town of Karovia in the late 1400's. He arrived during the midst of the Schism War. He was but a peasant man of unknown parentage at the time, seeking to find work tilling the fields. Little did he know that upon his arrival in this quiet town, surrounding by green mountains and rushing rivers, he would meet a man that would change his life forever.

Spoiler

NDss2tD.png

qrAfyBU.png

BHXmw8o.png

628zD2U.png

cenXAGH.png

D6U8NRC.png

kuMKStB.png

gJtsmLw.png

fEC6Z8f.png

08MhD1J.png

SocFfny.png

7aFIPyS.png

Z60xZHj.png

vxw8Nwk.png

dsuuPFR.png

CHs1BwZ.png

BegLlZf.png

V57ZQKr.png

"Clearly you are no commoner, Jace Evans," said the stranger Karovian king who dressed peculiarly like a peasant. Those words rang in his head. What could King Andrik possibly have meant? What was the situation that Jace suddenly found himself in?

The peasant farmer settled into his new home. Right away, he set to work laboring in the fields. He began to make friends among the humble people of Karovia.

Spoiler

Wm6YRJn.png

4RRHXiL.png

Fun Fact: That's me, Urahra! I played Sophie Varley and this was the exact instant we met. Sophie was a temporary character I played while taking a break from my main character, Lorina. I ended up not doing much with Sophie, but I still thought it would be nice to include her.

JjjxSDC.png

5mLvKl7.png

41S9j5H.png

7t7TCAr.png

yYEvuyv.png

P3pVXJv.png

Sophie and Jace soon became fast friends. Sophie told him all about her mission in coming to Karovia. She was seeking out a thieving con-man who'd promised to marry her, but then stolen all her money. She had been told that her would-be fiance was spotted around Karovia. Sophie was a dwarf, though, and a former resident of Aesterwald... a fact which stirred King Andrik's suspicions. The King soon came to Jace with a mission.

Spoiler

Rs9Lc27.png

MR7X6vP.png

Jace did his best to gather information of Sophie, but it did turn out that she was exactly who she claimed to be. Though she was a dwarf and a former citizen of Aesterwald, she was a surfacer who had never lived among her own kind and she had no special attachment to her old home. 

Regardless, he seemed to earn King Andrik's favor by covertly investigating the dwarven woman.

Jace would soon become involved in the war in another capacity, however. Karovia had no formalized military and instead called upon its citizens to defend it during wartime. When a raid of Waldenians and dwarves suddenly descended on the sleepy mountain village, Jace found himself called to defend his new homeland!

Spoiler

qZBJhkS.png

vqUzk9p.png

mYXPcEa.png

cv050Q5.png

MZIEOo3.png

1KQiyGO.png

Vqcv5rD.png

EAiFfzT.png

ep450hu.png

dQ0JF6k.png

LCOhGYs.png

q2sUQ6T.png

emZlEtu.png

pW40q0y.png

EPISODE 2 

"Man at Arms"

Spoiler

While that was Jace's first battle, it would not be his last. He continued to fight on the side of Canonism during the Schism War. King Andrik led his men to victory after victory for the Canonist League, eventually claiming the capital city of Petrus.

Having conquered Petrus, King Andrik declared himself king of Oren and stood proud upon his victories, declaring that humanity was united under the One True Faith once again. 

Jace followed King Andrik to the capital city of Petrus. He decided to join King Andrik's 2nd Akovian Regiment, pledging his life and sword in service to Vydra and Oren. 

Spoiler

Qa7zI4L.png

tNGWEfU.png

pC9xRZf.png

While he unfortunately lost touch with his dwarven friend Sophie, he found himself making many new friends and enjoying the brotherly camaraderie of life in the military.

Spoiler

HSsohXY.png

YNh1xdk.png

IDMeNrD.png

QpuRr4l.png

JKie9IR.png

YOZjfsu.png

Although Jace would not know it yet, Publius Bracchus would become one of his closest friends.

Jace received word that the Vanirs, the noble family ruling over Karovia, planned to demolish the mountain village and rebuild something new in its place. He rented a modest apartment in the capital city and prepared to move. 

While fetching his things from his old home in Karovia, he had a strange encounter...

Spoiler

DSPbiIy.png

Jace's new apartment.

ptqvBSZ.png

gwOWP2g.png

s2cW889.png

4l3YKFk.png

Jace did not know what to think of this mysterious armored man, in search of a seemingly deceased girl. He made his way back to Petrus with his possessions, dismissing it from his mind.

His adventures with the 2nd Akovian Regiment tested his new martial abilities. He saw strange, magical sites. He stood guard over feasts. He fought enormous and terrifying monsters. King Andrik Vydra praised Jace as an exemplary soldier. 

Spoiler

jkXJxet.png

bArUDRi.png

9nUNY4M.png

nqWSk83.png

0dBJrCB.png

A99f94H.png

PjWdwdv.png

Jace continued to gain esteem in the eyes of his superiors. Jace's commanding officer, Lt. Reyne, contracted him to draft a code of conduct for the 2nd Akovian Regiment. In the Lieutenant's eyes, Jace was a shining example which he wanted the other men in the Regiment to follow.

Spoiler

2d3nok9.png

CK6j73a.png

iRahXi6.png

9Cimtnq.png

KTMtGc1.png

4pzMJAN.png

XvXaieT.png

wjb0nMf.png

Sometime later, he would have a chance encounter with "Lorina" - the mysterious woman mentioned by the strange man in armor back in Karovia. 

Spoiler

gVVliW9.png

g8ryAIC.png

dxYpveA.png

vOorI2K.png

26ij0wS.png

Jace discovered that he and Lorina actually lived next door to one another. She was his neighbor! It seemed as though she had a story, though he knew not yet what it could be. 

The mysteries of Lorina only compounded as time went on.

Spoiler

dzm90sZ.png

r8svuVz.png

o4E8cFY.png

eDGt2D3.png

5PieVat.png

fh5Z3Ef.png

Why, Jace wondered, were assassins targeting an ordinary citizen of Petrus? Lorina struck him as a regular person, just like any other. He could not conceive of why anyone would threaten her life. Jace pledged that he would look out for her, for she was a citizen of Petrus who needed protection and the 2nd Akovian Regiment would never deny help to a Petrusian in need.

pW40q0y.png

EPISODE 3

"Ensign"

Spoiler

Jace's efforts in the 2nd Regiment did not go unnoticed by his superiors. In short order, he was promoted to the rank of Ensign.

Spoiler

O13QQHy.png

CZuvorl.png

LzBfuyr.png

XrEjHAe.png

LM7SNA6.png

Wr4mu0F.png

o9645Jn.png

Jace's new rank brought with it new duties and responsibilities. His adventures with his brothers-in-arms continued. They explored far-away lands as scouts. They confronted magical mysteries that had no explanation. They fought in battles galore for the glory of Oren. 

Spoiler

RwOatGx.png

LgnAzL5.png

pfzavO4.png

5j0uYxJ.png

R8Zpfl2.png

In his time as Ensign, Jace learned more about the history of Oren - and in turn, he gained new knowledge about the young lady who had taken up residence in the apartment next door to him. His neighbor was not as simple and innocent as she initially appeared. 

In the age before King Andrik's conquest of Oren, the nation - as Jace learned - had been ruled by a family called the Carrions. The Emperor, Tobias "Tuvya" Carrion, had been deposed in a violent coup by his own grand knight. The entire Carrion family had been either brutally slaughtered or scattered to the four winds. The once-great lineage now lay in fragments. 

It was theorized that only one descendant of Emperor Tuvya had survived the carnage - Jace's neighbor, Lorina Carrion. Many sought to end the Tuvic line for good and so Lorina was continually dogged by assassins.

Threats came upon her life with regularity. King Andrik and Duke Vasili Vanir (who led the 2nd Akovian Regiment) both had an interest in keeping Lorina safe from harm. 

Spoiler

phqo31p.png

APzsPwB.png

hMbAWXn.png

qDWVwWZ.png

bR7HEQB.png

CCipX5q.png

Duke Vasili assigned Jace to act as one of Lorina's personal bodyguards, alongside an elf by the name of Aethos Tyberian. The two of them took their duties seriously.

Lorina, in turn, began taking interest in Jace - since he, too, was a former resident of Karovia.

Spoiler

sEzdSoJ.png

REHGr6r.png

lI2SUn7.png

JGIc1F5.png

PNoNQGc.png

XKCGM1V.png

KNzoVyR.png

Lm3AU6U.png

RRxOA9M.png

Glq8jKd.png

obwCXL2.png

3daYR2T.png

Einhshh.png

eoxj1lW.png

LW6EZWa.png

r9O6gIK.png

Vn8w56b.png

Though Lorina would not need the 2nd Akovian Regiment's protection for much longer. A cousin of hers, Viktor de Montfort, invited her to take up residence with him in his holdings at Owynswood. Owynswood was some distance away from Petrus. It seemed that Jace and Lorina would no longer be neighbors. 

In her conversations with Viktor, Lorina mentioned pursuing a career in the clergy as a nun. She seemed determined to pursue the path of faith, for which Jace could not fault her. He was a faithful Canonist man himself, who had shed blood during the Schism War. 

Spoiler

K6AnN9g.png

BMDXcRA.png

XYpN7Cv.png

Dxi522n.png

ibSxoID.png

WZ9W8fD.png

f3EFawi.png

WJBTWEd.png

cla7Q0u.png

azrL9Hi.png

hOncVRm.png

hlpC5Gy.png

qMG8Zga.png

TOSAxeX.png

RpeMrM5.png

pW40q0y.png

EPISODE 4

"Sons of Vydra"

Spoiler

Everything changed when tragedy unexpectedly struck Oren. King Andrik Vydra arranged a diplomatic meeting with the High Elves of Haelun'or in order to broker an agreement between the two nations. The High Elves, however, turned traitor. They separated King Andrik from his retinue of guards and activated a trap door that plunged the King to his death in a pit of acid.

Grief and anger overwhelmed Jace. What fate would befall Oren now that its monarch lay dead?

But then, Jace came across an unexpected discovery in the libraries of the palace.

Spoiler

qcQB5Ut.png

l5yk2WU.png

V9ObA4W.png

3vLTuMT.png

The fallen king had left detailed instructions inside a personal diary, which was then hidden away within the library. Thrilled by his discovery, Jace rushed to deliver his findings to Duke Vasili.

Spoiler

Ya8ao1n.png

IiqYfHs.png

1jeYX0b.png

6YnLpOL.png

EZXMRHC.png

zCDuYDp.png

QwOMgQb.png

With the help of Duke Vasili Vanir and his brother Arik Vanir, Jace founded the Sons of Vydra. Their goal was singular - to follow the instructions laid out in Andrik Vydra's diary and to seek revenge for their fallen king. Jace was named the Commissar of the Sons of Vydra.

Spoiler

N2nX7Uf.png

t3jaObS.png

hytPAZf.png

vZTBixh.png

ODTzO0t.png

8L33Euo.png

7P0fCoz.png

zbdjwRo.png

IqB97Gy.png

vBpyDnU.png

pCbyfeX.png

rn2vbEZ.png

Together, the Sons of Vydra waged a campaign to seek revenge for their king's slaughter. In short order, Oren's vengeance was brought to bear.

Spoiler

veLj5qZ.png

As reward for Jace's labors, the Vanirs awarded him with land holdings inside their duchy of Karovia - the town where Jace lived when he first arrived in Oren. If Jace succeeded in turning the barren land into a thriving community, he would be bestowed the title of Baron and his holdings would be someday passed down to his offspring.

Spoiler

gdDlwCQ.png

CPRnsIh.png

Mt3oAgA.png

rrConDr.png

XwgMZWC.png

C5t2d7p.png

kzisI58.png

y3dUZIM.png

I8NSo4x.png

cE2HRi8.png

NXjqZtv.png

With Andrik's death avenged, Arik Vanir made the choice to disband the Sons of Vydra. They had served their purpose - and it was now time for the soldiers to hang up their swords and focus on maintaining peace in Oren under its new king, Olivier de Savoie.

Spoiler

6IwmT9b.png

6279l20.png

aPaw86x.png

hHKfay0.png

yJlEUtX.png

4L8HCA6.png

Bn9CLcE.png

TFw5e8n.png

ph92xve.png

iB4y1O0.png

Trn7EDM.png

With the Sons of Vydra officially disbanded, Jace looked forward to settling into retirement and civilian life. He turned his attention toward his new land holdings, which would be dubbed "Vanhall" by the Vanirs who oversaw it. Perhaps, with time, effort, and determination, he could build the barren land into something worth cherishing.

pW40q0y.png

Part 2 here.

It is really weird seeing one of my personas "Snickers" becoming an Ensign along with Jace Evans, I remember so little of that time but it is neat to see it visually. Very cool!