RITES OF WORTH

indiana105

trqkQnr7TBXu8TkH5mha7A67YXVjQRKxBuc1PwhCcKq-akV2DLlrrolDtXDRmZKmwR5TcLy7MP7gjZ4jQElecUOqK_KqU_xeeu3nNfkEqbrcbqqSxxrnvZT0hym3pammegT-tLBTTEsmeWZhAMf6PZymirMf1edyNsjOUGhDaR0DOX8wR9al7_Hmrg

TO PROVE ONESELF

MW5QqFEPmn_ntCIX-OxqS6UkeU3mAUcz1_XQiIabVrv0bzWHqoIuyBtxvi8CJVgFMEDMl3ewz1BVlmefSzmGsVEeVwa7IPCoZFZgcXMB8S8j8ocrSJBlWyfZatCS06uzOvAaHwJeIumM1XNa_hNk893edWpzLuaJ1tw1jxd9fNyt6fdX6EhhpYQHSQ

Issued by the

HOUSE OF RUTHERN

On the 13th day of Msitza ag Dargund of 443 E.S.

SANGKRUV I RUTHER,

As the children of House Ruthern age, traditions both old and new have seen the light of day. Our heir has grown into a respectable Baron after proving his worth at Druzstra, his twin has dedicated his life to the Crown and squirehood, and our youngest has proven a proficient swordsman in his own right. While the ambition of them all is undeniable, I yet find myself restless. Have I not provided ample guidance to the other fledglings of my house?

It is with this announcement that I make it known that those of my blood shall not wander without purpose. Those who wish to prove themselves virtuous must do just that. No longer will complacency be ignored. To take one’s place in the world it must be earned, trueborn or not. Any Ruthern or Barrow of our blood that has yet to make something of themselves shall undertake a series of trials to prove their worth, beginning on the eve of their eighteenth nameday.  

These trials shall exemplify the following;

I. LEADERSHIP

To be noble of birth is to stand above the commons. That is to say, any Ruthern in name must be capable of commanding respect from his lessers. It is the way of our fathers to do so in battle, be it in our Black Company or in service to the King. Those who attain a position of prominence, leading men and showing prowess in battle are most worthy of their prestigious blood.

Some are not destined to take up the hammer, as is God’s will. Yet, these warriors of ink and quill may still prove their worth. Vidaus is among the greatest of the vassals, yet our domain must always be maintained and developed, our subjects guided. A particularly shrewd steward or gifted architect is of as much use as the strongest swordsman. 

II. FERVOUR

The faith of our Haeseni kin is paramount. In many cases, to forsake it is to forsake life itself. Subjecting oneself to a life of chastity, humility and prayer is not customary for the men of our House, though it is a commendable path. There are many ways to express one’s faith, however, for God’s word may be spread by tongue or the sword.  

III. STRENGTH

Proving one’s strength is a straightforward ordeal. There are many routes for the swordsman who seeks to spill blood. Among them are the chivalrous orders of the Crow and Marian. To squire and be dubbed Ser is to bring great prestige to oneself and House Ruthern, and shall be respected by all our blood. Lesser feats of strength carry that same virtue, be it winning a tourney, a duel, or service as a sellsword.

IV. WILL

A true Ruthern is unbending, unbroken. This strength of will, derided as madness by the weak, does indeed run in our blood. Though, one cannot claim strength by inheritance alone. It must be proven. One must forgo comforts and luxury for an extended period to demonstrate resolve.

It is customary for a Ruthern to undertake a year-long voyage, to cast aside the comforts of home and see the lands beyond our own. This is oft done by boat, though a journey over land comes with hardships of its own. A year’s time must pass for a Ruthern to have proven themselves capable of survival by their own will.  

V. WIT

The House of Ruthern is a storied one. Our history has been chronicled for centuries, our deeds written into the story of Man. Without the scribe this would not be so. To write in the Tome of Rutherns is a great honour, bestowed upon only those most gifted in the literary arts. These men who labour over ink and parchment oft demand reverence. 

DRUZ GJERNZ AG GRYVNZ, 

His Excellency, Mikhail var Ruthern, Grand Lord of Hanseti-Ruska, Duke of Vidaus, Count of Metterden, Viscount of Greyspine, Lord of Druzstra and Protector of the South

Her Grace, Margrait Floireans Ruthern, Duchess of Vidaus, Countess of Metterden, Viscountess of Greyspine and Lady of Druzstra

5TKPKngKVayVjrvCdeTGV976OmYN97_JA02u-H678koA1XMmAYyXuA5_WHDDBH0Qb35Qf-MuEeLX-0cE8bnR8gS4wrXb32dZ8OCozCy0l8G0Tk8slnkxV5jLBFBjzbH5NJ5U9kft5u6BTt1_hfFaqHJPPzii4YDHd3893eBPtxovGVsl1Z9a1nsVHg