delete this

Smmer

Within the shadows I find myself at home, always within the foreground. Banished to the corner of shame even at my age I am treated lesser than due to my impairment. Born with rotted eyes that never.. Not once did I ever see the light even from whence I first did cry. I was brought into the world with a disfigurement, a cruel reality that had been caused by negligence on my own mothers end. 

I can still hear their anguish and disgust, hidden in the corner of the home where none could see me but I could hear everything that happened. They spoke ill of me right in front of my cold shameful body, they never adjusted nor cared. Nor did they wish for the public to bear witness to a ‘creature’ they had created. I feel nothing but ashamed, for even in my young age I feel this overwhelming sadness engulf me… I feel wrong for being within this realm, I feel a strong disconnect from myself and the land upon which I walk, never knowing where I am - only listening, listening to my surroundings with naught an idea of what is around me. 

With every night that passes I long for the sweet release from my earthly tethers, I long to escape where I no longer feel shame nor guilt for the state of my creation, whose fault not my own. Even my dreams lack the color, the hope the dream my younger self did once have. But that all changed… that all changed the night my drunken mother stumbled into the home wishing she had the strength to have killed me when I was born. To hear your own mother say such things… it can drain the color from a young small girl… I am not asking for a sweet demise, but a demise that shall surely free me of my pain..

A sudden flash of light disrupted the young girl's otherwise uneventful slumber, discomforted by the brightening flash, afraid by such a display she would toss and turn attempting to cover her eyes to shield her from the light that now forced its way into her face.. The warmth and unfamiliar feeling to her now enveloped her body. 

“What.. what are you! Why are you in my dreams…?” The young girl spoke, evidently shaken by such an occurrence within her otherwise dull dreams that had more than frequently taken control of her mind. Unsatisfied by the empty silence the young girl spoke once more louder. “WHAT ARE YOU!” Posing it as a command rather than a question to mask the fear that any blind individual would have towards such an otherworldly thing. 

As quickly as it came, so did it disappear, for only but a few seconds before she would feel the warmth of the light wrap around her body, arms engulfing her in a tight hug - one that she could only understand as something familiar to her.. She could smell the familiar aura of berries and flowers.. A sensation like that of something she had lost a long time ago… Something she had only known the sensation of thanks to her grandparents. The body made no sound, nor spoke instead it would conjure a pair of golden bandages and carefully wrapped them around her eyes. A softened voice would then whisper within Danae ears “Keep your eyes covered”

As daylight broke, the young girl would awake her from her sleep, it seems she had forgotten the interaction, but not the message that the disembodied voice had told her, stumbling towards the cabinet she would feel for the mask she had been given to wear, a creation of bandages and cloth to hide her disfigurement in an attempt to keep the public's attention away, she knew what she had to do and began tightening the straps itself, she sensed something familiar within the voice that spoke to her that night, having nothing else to lose she decided to follow its wishes thoroughly.