BOOK OF THE GREAT NORTHERN EXPEDITION CHAPTER TWO

UnusualBrit

BOOK OF THE GREAT NORTHERN EXPEDITION

WRITTEN BY THALGRIM GOLDHAND 

CHAPTER TWO

The following account is partly sourced from my own perception of events, as shall the majority of the book be from now on. 

===================

II:

With the arrival of most of the colonists, the Expedition Leader Darek Irongrinder promptly got to work. As there was a few more drawings in his architectural plans to be completed that was what he mostly busied himself with for the first month or so while the rest of the group rested after such a long journey north with Ordar Irongrinder and Kalgrimmor setting up their tents upon the north end of the campsite. After a week or so it was time to start work on the campsite. For a short period I myself was busy writing the previous account, though I assisted where I could. 

Soon enough it was time to put up the palisades, a duty which I and many other workers volunteered for. Under Darek Irongrinders astute leadership we got to work straight away, logs were carried over and then laid upon the ground before they were all tied together with rope, the palisade then lifted up with additional rope into trenches we had dug previously and so in this process the campsite gained much protection from the wild beings that dwelt beyond our small valley. The generous Axel Ireheart also bought up a wagon of supplies from the south, though it appears the loot goblins that dwelt all across Almaris had come and stolen them while no one was looking. 

It was while we were constructing these palisades when out of the distance a mammoth riding giant appeared seemingly on the hunt for food. We quickly dropped our tools and picked up weapons to fend off the beast. A center line of warriors was formed on Darek, while Thromdrick and I were sent on the foes' flanks to attack it when it least expected it. The beast soon came crashing forth, attempting to use its mammoth to push down the palisade which held firm against its brazen attacks, dwarven construction of course being the sturdiest in the world; able to resist such pitiful attacks. Eventually however, the Mammoth burst through the exposed gate and our warriors took on its onslaught with some dwarves being thrown or otherwise wounded. A palisade was also brought down during the ruckus, crushing the unfortunate Melrik Deephook under its weight who sadly died. 

At this exact moment I struck forth, using my gladius to wound the mammoth leg and forcing it down whereupon the others delivered the crushing blow. At this point the giant was dismounted, and a terrible fury had taken the savage over the loss of its mount. At this time, a couple of Frostbeards came from the other side of the wall and flanked the creature. The giant then picked up a discarded spear, skewering Ossic Frostbeard who was then incapacitated. At this brutal act a fury came over us Dwarves, and we went on the attack. I scored another lucky hit, stabbing the giant in the knee before he brought down his club and threw several of us off his feet. At this, he ran off, terrified of our vengeance. 

It was a victory, but hardwon, I came over to Ossic who while dying was healed by an elf using their elf magecks and thus survived to be carried off to his tent to recover. Melrik of course was not so lucky, the Palisade was lifted off him while his body was stored for future burial with rites no doubt performed by the Rhun Prophet. The mammoth itself was dragged into camp, providing much fresh meat for the following days to feast upon with the elements keeping it markedly well preserved. 

In the next few months, more tents were thrown up around the campsite as it became more populated, as well sections of the palisade were further constructed and small wooden towers built to protect the camp better in case of  any future attacks. The wood elves of the Vale came to visit, bringing gifts of food supplies and booze for the thirsty Dwarven colonists. Additionally Svardin Grandaxe constructed shrines dedicated to our gods, so no member of the colony ever felt far from their grace. In the meantime, Darek had completed his plans for our hold and soon we shall excavate it together. 

Spoiler

((The previous account is not public knowledge to the rest of Almaris, but would be to the members of the Dwarven Colony))