Greetings from Sunny Salvus!

jCrsXccEGMO4IJMMGeGDTO77-QKrw--uSt7ryNScyOgXAbbtuW4A8EVZcH0jrOFC3zb1D7eus6TC-wipT9iVGwUKVYn1snZXGYUxL7wYKyZGH-t4ibF7PgdZRvGtnPX0l4prbxg4DRrAkxUq744RKLbzDz7h8jIjiZt8rOBsixJozIa3b72JvahX

Postcard depicting the Royal Salvian Academy of Saint Ottomar in Fausten, 1890

((Leuven Town Hall, Samuel Prout))

[!] An exotic postcard signed by one Reinmaren pilgrim known as Martin Barclay is delivered to the Almarian County of Minitz, addressed to his kinsmen Leon and Stanimar Barclay, via the Salvian Fleet.

((Please do not metagame and RP the contents of this letter unless they are shared by the recipients.))

@GoodGuyMatt @argonian

iU9KHKdFw49USYu6rp9xDt1V_KayIweIc4to2l-vv8fH-uduxEP3zRdr_IWRiXNmLZpVv5a7Uo5Fmh6vmgBD0Z865iyE0ZNcmwWeoq-7YXVGG13ccNgPStDC_AEboMGPCyxiaEbwoV2TJOPJKYNJ6wpwo-3XolwevPxWwUa7ucWwf_7ToSXPGxtJ

Dear Leon and Stanimar,

I am well and I have arrived safely in Fausten. I’ll not waste any paper on describing the discomforts of my trip; by the time this postcard reaches you, it’ll have been almost a year of my stay! Please send my regards to Orion and Petsch, and to whoever supplied me with a barrel of pickled beets for the journey (my gratitude can’t be overstated, really).

I am writing this note a day into my so far successful pilgrimage, from my quarters in a quaint little inn in Neustadt, close to the docks and friendly to outlander pilgrims - they call it Sunny Salvus, and the name’s been fitting thus far, for the heat is incomparable to Minitz. The prices are equally unbearable, reminding me daily of my outlander origins, but they have a fund for us royal Waldenians, Alstreims and the sort, so I’ve managed - I’ll write about it in detail another time. 

To my own surprise, I’ve managed to get two whole florins for my haul, and the yearly lease costs me one florin, but thankfully I’ve received five more from the royal foundation. It’s a shame I can’t bring them back! On the account of the foundation they’ve assigned me a tour guide from the royal knights, though I suspect he’s in equal part a bodyguard and a chaperone, not the least that he was assigned to me immediately following the transit inspection. I can’t name him in this letter - Salvians think it brings bad luck.

The sights and beauties of Fausten are too many and vast to name. The view off the deck upon the last hours of the journey was so captivating it will forever remain ingrained in my memory: the grand Salvian Citadel’s sprawl upon the eastern cliffs and the Whaler wharfs and factories lined to the west, Neustadt nestled in between them, and above it rising the plateau of Old Fausten. After arranging my lease and inquiring with the tour guide, we set off towards the old city core on foot.

Never before have I seen a city as grand as Fausten: the bustle and prosperity of the avenues of Neustadt, orderly, clean, well-lit and paved, lined with palm trees, flags, decorative banners and lamps. The Salvians, humans and dark elves both, mingled in between pillars and upon the squares and traversed the streets in their fine, rich garments without another care in the world. On our way we saw Lilith’s Landing, the point where the Sutican expedition had first made landfall a century and a half ago, and visited and paid our respects at the Cathedral of Blessed Laura, one of Fausten’s own Salvian matrons and benefactors; and once we crossed the Vanguard into Old Fausten and began our ascent, it pained me greatly that Almaris would never see such peace and progress, the least of all our Waldenian people, unless we made a concerted effort to change our destructive ways. That being said, in Fausten they have no Raevir.

The serenity of the Old Town differed from Neustadt below, though its stone houses and marble palaces were just as impressive. Where they did not inhibit the structures or passages, vines and trees were allowed to grow freely. Here its Atheran history weighed upon us vividly: the Syndicate Assembly, the old Salvian palace rebuilt, was a sight to behold, and so was the Royal Academy - I ought to visit Father Leopold there. At the royal foundation nearby I was told the Syndic would receive me for an audience next month, as a Barclay! We also saw Corwin’s Arch, which Salvians call Fausten’s Gate of Oblivion - I’m not certain what its story is, other than the fact that it obviously wasn’t built by King Corwin, but knightly patrols treat the otherworldly structure with great reverence (always from a distance).

The crown jewel and the purpose of my pilgrimage was, of course, the Basilica of Saint Ottomar, a monolith larger than many Almarian towns: a fitting resting place for the Martyr King’s relics. We were turned away from entering at the time, however, since the Regiment began preparing its security measures for the hundredth anniversary of Saint Ottomar’s death, though they were willing to pose with us for a quick painting. I’ve attached it to the letter below, and I’ll write about the Basilica in detail once I manage to enter.

0qauykOSp3TA_ztX1eQZP_jLRxiOR8fB-rOg8hoQimPvyk_tr5k_z4UFLwBSK6XHmZAFM0aOcTX1TZLyzgdSwdHFudFLncDkYBBkirDvLbTi8AlVCk-o9HbgQ0HPW0GzaxWe6oLq1n5KLP5aJqzfnzGvXRzRailYaZz79vBKMY2zyeyuWYpeJL1A

[!] A street artist’s painting of Martin and his official tour guide, posing before the Basilica of the Intercession of Saint Ottomar and its honor guard of the Royal Salvian Regiment.

((Classic Cathedral, Bixx @ PMC))

On our way back to the Sunny Salvus, the tour guide brought me to a traditional Salvian guild festival: the fisheries were celebrating the Saint’s Week’s haul with a public feast. I was free to take part despite not being a citizen, and a Farfolk maid taught me one of their dances, which we practiced together until sundown. I’ve been thinking, Stanimar, that I might stay for a while longer, for as long as I can afford to. The townsfolk have been nothing but friendly, and I believe I’ve much more to learn from the Salvians. I hope you’ve been well and that Minitz hasn’t helped topple another kingdom in my absence - stay safe, or as the Salvians say in parting:

Wealth beyond measure,

0z-GsH7MayMUl4YgjKd_ya55uyMzIc1X1D7Rro03ZjjMgE67sVBPXMyO1Jui2USTFO9ovaAYWy35ceBLlGKu9AgvsLbaTxbEe_TRFPF-jQKEBJnWMIC7L8RPUZghDjMW1RXJ_n-dUMHQ6ZgbO4oKoL2RqaULPNvygPH4sF65aUh_maLV1CtbgPg9

[!] A stamp was additionally affixed to the postcard:

PASSED BY R. S. R. CENSOR. GOD SAVE OUR INCORRUPTIBLE KING

iU9KHKdFw49USYu6rp9xDt1V_KayIweIc4to2l-vv8fH-uduxEP3zRdr_IWRiXNmLZpVv5a7Uo5Fmh6vmgBD0Z865iyE0ZNcmwWeoq-7YXVGG13ccNgPStDC_AEboMGPCyxiaEbwoV2TJOPJKYNJ6wpwo-3XolwevPxWwUa7ucWwf_7ToSXPGxtJ