CAUTIOUSLY DID THEY JUDGE

Benjikhei

Spoiler

OVERTURE:

[ This post, and the events contained therein are not known publicly. Unless they are caught wind of through legitimate roleplay, they wouldn’t be widespread. However, those citizens of Florentine and members of the Falcone brood would recognise an all too similar disappearance in the family tree, compelling concern from some, and siphoning what little care could be found from others. ] 

[   |||   ]

________________________________________________________________________________________________

CAUTIOUSLY DID THEY JUDGE 

0D3YbjmfEI4C2wQEv1_yXnBNy7rxKJfyHIX8NQ3nLxiknR_OKa44i4MjXTteJ74MbBzBckzTQTB4Ogqm0cfMxPvK9nmiG9HeBkcAC-_HFaqd5BJU44b4yaRcT2s-sf4_4tnokwvLIW8P8JNae48KEgJziJhPYI-tQ8fJsGX8Nce9gYf5b_XyTOATPQ

L'UNIONE MORGANICA, THE BASILICA OF THE ARGENTE STAR (c.1844)

[   |||   ]

“Wrong is always wrong.”

Ambling on a stroll with a gasper cigarette installed upon his curled upper lip, did a man trot through the lain cobblestone foundation of the hardy agricultural province – Florentine. Potent, intoxicating smog from his cracked maw seeking to haze the empty alley of the town which he traversed, offering a sombre overlay to the dimming sunlit brick that consumed each side of him. Ssss….” 

The man, an Illatian, made haste to prematurely fumble in his coat whilst his aimless sauntering continued, idly malcontent until he would obtain a small locket, with a water damaged portrait inlaid, displaying the iconography of his only daughter. Exuding unhurried breaths, he admired this image a moment longer, until, so soon, he found his way to the end of that ramshackle thoroughfare; emptied.

Looking to the canopy of the honeyed skyline that awaited him to the end of the back-street, his oblivious rumination ceased, as, with a breath – he began to monologue to himself. “And so-”

“I will miss it. For all it is worth.”  Did the man quiver, frigidly. Seeming distracted now, as the picture of his offspring were slowly, perhaps hesitantly pocketed again – to face reality, once more.

“Do you fear what iss’ to come, Dante?” Pressed a new voice, derived from a haggard figure,  visible to few who lurked nearby. Meandering ahead, with a bloodied suit and lopsided grin, befitting of his detestable and lingering nature. “Typical. And I’a took you for a thoughtful type- no?”

Yet the goading of the figment coaxed no zealous retort from that scholar - Dante, for he was no longer burdened by lunacy. Instead swivelling to face him, with a rigid intensity, in ways that would  doubtlessly harken to his predecessors, no matter how loathsome that sentiment was. “Still, now.” “Iss’ unkind to speak such filth to a friend. Save them for another occasion. Truly wasted here, mm?” Dante made to retort with an inherited reticence. Remaining largely unbothered by the incongruence of the gruesome presence. 

“You will not be seen like him, Dante.” Reminded the gored statesman, who tilted his marred scalp. A dagger resting dangerously in a crimson palm, tilted scales of justice, favouring guilt within another. “Judgement is inevitable. You will be like Zia, Dante. A loon. Nothing like when he had vanished.”

Dante’s expression violently contorted into one of dire vexation upon those words. Rising to test the apparition’s assessment, as his rapid turn to look directly into his eyes did cause the figment to recoil in some fearfulness, faced with the cruelty of the Illatian’s disgusted ire. “I’a said, no filth. Cease it.”

“There iss' audacity in our actions, which they failed to recognise.” - “Iss’ wrong, but necessary.”

The Entity’s ostentatious demeanour did crumble at his abrupt humbling, seeking to remain quiet for a moment, tending to the counterpart’s words whilst chewing at his scarred nail bed, before provoking. “And - Sbagliato è sbagliato… Wrong is always wrong, sì?” Mimicked the thing with a newly wrought smirk, peering upwards from his compulsive biting. “When ‘wass it you said that to him?” It asked, so delicately, following him along the street. Desperate to make him remember things. Traumatic things.

“So long ago. Providentia. The Augustine Palace, no, the courtroom…” Dante articulated, grimacing.

His calloused palms, wrapped in gloves- shaking. “I’a have forgotten. I have not become him yet.”

“You are lying to yourself. You never really forgot. We never forgot, Dante. Did we?It did spit back, frothing at the lips in animalistic fashions. Putting his mitts to his chest, did the Entity bowl over in sheer laughter, finding dark hilarity in these taunts. After a few moments of this grating commedia, he straightened his back, and moved to forcibly clasp his hands on the Illatian’s shoulders, in a bout of sudden honesty.

“We can’t. Ever.” It paused, recognising something. “You know that, do you not?”

Still, Dante made his disdain for the painless truth visible. A wince, crossing his stagnant, non-aged features, making to rub his nose, a knowing frustration. No.Came his confession, feeling once again that sheepish boy in the courtroom, unable to keep eye with a more dominating presence. “Il passato non è una definizione. - The past iss’ not a definition. This has never been more true.” 

He dictated unceasingly, grasping the spoiled shirt of the Entity in fearsome resolve, jolting it so.

”Even now- especially now… you see? Our core trait as humans. To be a part of greater matters.”

The Entity sized his counterpart up a final time, as mirroring green eyes ran him upwards and downwards – seeking flaws in the logic, yet coming to none. “If you know what we want, fratello.” Paused the mirror image of Dante, a moment. “It seems fitting, I’a call you that - O’ grand studioso..” 

The Illatian gave a momentary simper to that jest, before grasping onto the Entity himself - pulling the grotesque statesman into a flurried embrace. Before suddenly, he was awakened by the rooster’s crow from that clocktower: Santino’s Perch – laying swaddled in his bedsheets, with a hideous gasp, fumbling for a bedside pocket watch, to detract from the symphony of the mind, he so recently experienced. Studiossso…He huffed, falling back into the throws of fatigue.

[   |||   ]

“But the justice to remedy the wrong should always be fair.”

Founded primarily in reality now. Dante lounged within the fastening throne, locked away in some underground citadel, gushing with the filth of aqueducts and the dank stench of rotting carcasses. Perhaps a far-cry from the bustling squares and narrow, inconspicuous side streets of Florentine – but it seems not to concern the man largely, who tapped away at the armrest, picking balls of cotton out of a nascent rip in the stitched lining. “When the sun sets, that will be the end. I’ve understood this, mm.”

Whilst the Illatian spoke, an alchemist darted around the cramped laboratory, fiddling with vases of volatile polymer, and scrounging amongst bubbling vials which acted as overture to the largely grim environment. “One… for eyes, and one for you.” The practitioner reminded himself, before in a startle, acknowledging the words of the man. “Aye? That is how it must be, for the greater good.”  

From how you have always spoken, it sounds like some manner of… relief.” Suggested him.

“Indeed it iss’. More than all else, to be done.” Dante agreed, watching him ready an implement. Himself, fiddling with a rusted syringe.

“I’a have spent my life- working to such an end. An effective goal, that will last.” Contemplated the Illatian in determined drawl to the Alchemist, who now fawned over his visage – adjusting and prodding it with little regard for hesitancy, bobbing his head in poultry acknowledgement of the issue. “Often I was told my tongue and words were my greatest asset, my greatest weapon - you know?” 

Once, twice… the sound of knocking, and shambling dragged along just outside the doorframe of the laboratory. A creature, vying for spoiled attention. Releasing a cacophony of terrifying chokes and gags, as he awaited prey. Yet he was momentarily ignored again. “A nice thought, then? Let us hope.” The Alchemist finished, going about his work once again with a fiendish glare in his eye.

“I hope. Very much so. It will be good to put them to use again, I’a think.” Dante’s final words came, beginning to flinch as the banging on the door grew ever greater in volume. Startling to many. And too, did the scholar give repeated glances to it, breathing shrill, hastened. “Wherever I am to arrive-”

“... Keep it not waiting, hm?” Came his last intonation, as his voice cracked slightly. His face began to sting, sharply. And his cheeks, flushing as they were touched by a deep heat. “I am finished.”

The Illatian then stared over to the door, watching the hinges promptly snap from their post - cracking, with another hideous whine of the invading creature. He then sought to stand, with the Alchemist - facing a new face, without a singular emotion displayed. Constricting his arms, behind his back, and regarding his fate with a ‘clicking’ roll of his tongue, and unblinking eyes. “Arrivedercí…”

Dante’s final speech was in his mother tongue. His lips parted for a word; finalmente, giustizia.”

A remark that held meaning to him alone. It was his lonesome jest, before the door snapped again.

Thereafter, Dante Aldo Falcone – ceased to speak.

And some petty, insignificant justice had been delivered.

[   |||   ]

“Your silence. Your silence is answer enough.”

EPILOGO * CONCLUSIONE

LmcC32O1aQUY40hcvxrANlJPgCDQ2pfov2dunftSQpeWyJgPbfAYhkVg-RubjgR1m_izOm5mZzcBAskq_66L8-_fyjzt_CRpUslv5Vy44Sdhk--i3ZaRqJVoI9EGJdDd4Usc7T_Fzr-vBN0h_Jzvr1akwKw5de4hVvabycgA0t01ZuUgweybazk9HA

DANTE’S VISUALISATION, THE ABERRANT -  (c.1844)

An indifferent spouse. A progeny of his own – thoughts, that fluttered outward within the eroding mind of the Illatian now. Deformed, and shivering, incessantly convulsing. But yet, a flicker of lasting consciousness remained within him, and could muster the resolve to remind himself of blissful years...

There he was, a younger Dante. Always foreign amongst the chaotic scrapes of other youth, the hurly-burly of social precedents, partially derived, no– entirely owed, to his famiglia. When all he required for was listening in, upon his father at meetings of the Imperial Commons. In free, effervescent hours, being largely content to blithely meander the streets, hands clasped behind his back.

Scents of incense, and rich distillery of VINO – made the spare time worthwhile for the boy. Watching his siblings squabble, too, provided a modest amusement. Sorella, did’you hear what Carmine said?” Perhaps he had a small knack for sparking conflict, despite his often thoughtful disposition. “No? Mm, he said you got’a insetti, in your hair.” Whispered the boy. “Iss’ what he said to me.” Then he withdrew, careful not to overplay his hand. “Juss’ what he said.” Reiterated he, a tone quieter. One would think Dante enjoyed taunting her, making her wonder. But he spoke the truth – he merely revealed an uncomfortable realisation, and ruined the day. Whilst he would peer from the homestead’s window, staring down at the pair, the pair who acted like ‘real siblings’ as opposed to him. He took no joy from the violence, their playful wrestling as it was merely a byproduct, but he did take joy, pride even in their aggression, at knowing he had spoken something true. “You fought for hours, hm?”

“... You waste your time, tricking me. Folk say I’a am real clever at outwitting.” The game Dante made of breeding unease with blunt honesty, worked almost always. With the children of the capital, especially. His siblings, his mother, and various relations… not so, the case with his patriarch though. Not Cosimo, nor Carlotta — his father, and his own daughter. Carlotta, he would discover in his waning years, but he learned of his father’s striking perception at an early age. Factly speaking, he taught the budding scholar much of truth and necessity on their little field trips, now and again, into the heart of Providence.

“Iss’ padre going to take me out today? Good, Good, Excellente.” 

An unusual boy, in his placid observances. He missed those days now though, and despite some personal horrors, and judicial incongruence — he was happier then. Gracia was preoccupied in recent years, Carmine, driven far away, of which Dante thought was sensible, and envious to. His daughter, to some soulless Haenseni boarding school as refugee, and his wife, often unwell, or out for an ‘inconspicuous’ affair, as per their marital bargain, a falsity. Perhaps he really did wish to be that boy again. It was much simpler. 'Less corrupt than the world of the sinning elders.

“Mostly I’a think about people. Why they act so strangely, always.” Quipped he, to adults, prying of why he did not act as expected.

He would’ve been a great, honest man. He felt prepared to be one, by the conclusion of his adolescence filled with that naive idealism to the brim. Circumstance, however, as he would conclude, had the unparalleled pleasure of distorting that idea for his future. Frequently it does intervene, cruelly upsetting an established plan. He wanted to be different though, but circumstance did mitigate against that fantasy.

His father was, to some degree, correct then. An unceasing wheel, crunched under the bones of patriarchs past, leading each new keeper to bear the weight of continuing orthodoxy — and he was slowly coming around to that way of thinking himself. But he was determined to be rid of it, to his own detriment. What force would pull him otherwise, besides violent compulsion? Such a primal emotion, he had decided. And not for him.

“When I'a grow up, iss' my wish to be like him.” He once declared with such hidden pride, in such a calm way. Now, he had little concern for those dreams. He had little concern for anything.

So the cycle continues. 

Dante – was made free of it.

Perhaps the next generation would have more luck.

But he severely doubted it.

LA FINE.

Il cerchio sarà ininterrotto

A poco a poco, Signore, a poco a poco

C'è una casa migliore che aspetta

Nel cielo, Signore, nel cielo…”

— Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Charles M. Alexander (c.1907)

[   |||   ]

Spoiler

3Rj10IwCj-8zbX8j1F-mx-SZxfaY7CO0ievz4ue6fJMWjHZFfqHJbKUE1Sz7KL8XoFMfH6GPOI8nQzHToMeyuEzqhi6QcKMEBmXlPAcq0hcy9oTq91Q9sUvpbvLBeZgMIbZMCAsFdHW5s1chRmZwn0PH02wRr5rqcHgofy08Blv9cjeF8vxGbi69cA

(Left to Right): The Siblings - Carmine, Dante, and Gracia Falcone | Art by the incredible@Moenah

Dante has been a fun time, Nah- an amazing time to see play out before my eyes. Much like others, I got roped into his character a bit late, as offered by friends of mine in the Falcone Group, and now it’s surreal to see how far his story has come. I wanna thank people like @Goon @Melpomenne @Moenah @Bonito @CherryBoy @Chennster @Hephaestus @BasilTheBunny @RaindropsKeepFalling @venclair @oliviaaaahr @Heathman @Junoix@gohliad @incalescent_ @Criala @RaiderBlue – among a surplus of others who made awesome interactions and RP for this character with their own. Hope he left a decent imprint on some people, and the future of the Famiglia Falcone remains ever intriguing. 

Definitely won’t be the end but I’m super happy with the journey. Thanks for everything, folks.

Obligatorily: Falcone to the Moon & Invest in $FLC - (Visit Florentine)

P.S.  No comments from the Seven Skies btw, he missed the train.

Spoiler

luv u

youre a god

Billowing gusts whipped ashen-strewn tresses of a familiar dame, as she stood perched 'pon the balcony of her humble, Florentinian abode. A, tap, tap, tap, disposed cinder from a locally-produced cigar, and a rattle & cough expelled the plumes from cracked lips. Pale focals drifted to the sun; the way it began to set 'pon the horizon, dipping below & out of sight for the night to come.

"Mój najdroższy Dante. My invitation has long expired. Gdzie? Gdzie jesteś?" 

Hissed the wretched crone, and cast away was her foul habit; with irritation prone in her visage and stride, she took to paper, etching supposedly cruel things at this unspoken rejection. His absence in the community was expected, given prior communications & schemes; yet, to be uninformed? She, uninformed? A slight not easily forgotten. A gesture that caused the sable-locked dame's foul temper to simmer and boil.

"Ah, głupi chłopiec. Nie - coward you are, lowly cur of a proper man. Show your face, now; won't you?" 

Ah.

Through the whirling fury in that lady's conscious, a single revelation came.

And later in their time, the insult would be forgiven - face to wonted - yet, unwonted - face. . . in mildew-soaked tombs and catacombs of a primordial thew. Her vehemence would fade, and their work; their bickering & mutual distaste, mutual respect; it all would resume as it would, were he himselfDante; and now, great things would be done.

"And just where does Dante stand on all of this?"

A question asked more frequently these days, but it was not as if there was any surprise.

A disappointment that guised any worry.

"He will return."

It did not matter how often the bickering came, he always returned.

What had changed?

Or perhaps he won't. 

He has been all but pushed. Straight into the arms of temptation.

Straight into the burning hand of ill-company. That woman's.

"Perhaps he won't.."

The thought simmered like sauce in a pan, seasoned in disbelief and denial.

But you know what the boy involved himself in.

It was only a matter of who and when, there does not need a why with them.

So, he is likely dead.

No, surely.

He was ill-fitted. 

"And it is not as if I did not warn him."

Thin, shaky hands paused, a page within index and thumb. The world felt as if it came to a stand still. Hazel eyes lifted from the page.

Something is not right.

An unease settled in. The feeling gnawed at her, itching and clawing. It refused to ease up, even as an emptiness took hold of her heart.

A mother knows.

Slowly, the woman pushed herself up from her seat, the book she was reading forgotten on the side table.

"Dante..."

It was time to pay a certain someone a visit. And he better have answers, because hell hath no fury like a mother.

Spoiler

you are seriously a god send. despite my lack of activity, roleplaying with you (the times i did) solely has been a remarkable experience and i can't thank you enough for your kindness in everything you do. your creativity and refinement is something so unmatched in this server and we are all blessed to be in the same space as you and your roleplay - of which never fails to amaze me. mwah.

A Falcone girl; Somewhere, some lowly evening by some water, thought to the past. To all of the moments shared between her Papa and herself and how no matter the circumstance, he always made her feel..

"Bellissima.." Carlotta hushed into the cold sky, allowing for it to swim elsewhere with the open breeze - and to wherever he may lead her next..