Transcripts of the XLII Session of the Royal Duma

TRANSCRIPT FROM THE 445 SITTING

OF THE XLII SESSION OF THE ROYAL DUMA

PK509njeSuulA61on7AwMZIlo1qgcapEGOWa4U-g-1YSRuXGH7nnxeG6gf86-7IPd2GDKmt4UnkzM7Yrc2qRVGfJZLnTaecPO-CnRn1VapZqJ3QL4zKHrqxYUOzjDdOQWHHXEJ-mAF4QLTNXOd5ArWz-cpgijAuZW31q8tPMNJtyC8_rX92eJHVoqQ

From the Office of the Lord Speaker.

On this 7th of Joma & Umund, 445 E.S.

ROLL CALL

IN ATTENDANCE

Representative Baruch

Representative Ruthern

Representative Barclay

Komitas Ludovar

Representative Kortrevich

Representative Morovar

Representative Colborn

Bossir de Pelear

Royal Alderman Stafyr

Royal Alderwoman Ruthern

Military Tribune Weiss

Palatine Barclay

IN ABSENTIA

Royal Alderman Gant

Georg Kusoraev: “Great. Let us begin. We've reached quorum. We will start with the quick decision as to who shall be Royal Inquisitor. Royal Alderman Stafyr, would you accept the position?”

Arthur Stafyr: “Oh, uh… Aye, I would! My thanks, your Serene Highness.”

G. Kusoraev: “Very well, the Royal Alderman Stafyr shall serve as Royal Inquisitor. Next, for the matter of Lord Handler. Does anyone care to put themselves forward for the position?”

Cardinal Nescia: “I nominate Lady Ludovar.”

G. Kusoraev: “Does the Komitas accept such a nomination?”

Adele Ludovar: “If voted in, I hope to guide the green through a transitional period. I accept.”

G. Kusoraev: “Is there anyone else who would like to nominate themselves, or someone else?”

Aleksandr var Ruthern: “Komitas Ludovar serves already as the Justiciar, I would nominate the Alderwoman Ruthern.”

Elia Colborn: “I nominate Arthur Stafyr.”

Cardinal Nescia: “He already has a duma job.”

A. Stafyr: “I decline the nomination. One job is enough for me, but thank you Elia.”

G. Kusoraev: “Does the Alderwoman accept her nomination?”

Adelajda vas Ruthern: “Yes, I accept.”

G. Kusoraev: “You've got another minute to nominate others or yourselves.”

Johanna Barclay: “I nominate Felix Weiss, if he accepts.”

G. Kusoraev: “Military Tribune?”

Felix Weiss: “I would accept - if chosen.”

G. Kusoraev: “Excellent. We shall make this a simple matter. I will call the roll, and you shall vote for either Komitas Ludovar, Alderwoman Ruthern, or Military Tribune Weiss. Understood?”

Lord Handler for the XLII Session

Decreed by the Lord Speaker

KOMITAS LUDOVAR

Komitas Ludovar

ALDERWOMAN RUTHERN

Representative Ruthern

Royal Alderwoman Ruthern

MILITARY TRIBUNE WEISS

Representative Baruch

Representative Barclay

Representative Kortrevich

Representative Morovar

Representative Colborn

Bossir de Pelear

Royal Alderman Stafyr

Military Tribune Weiss

Palatine Barclay

Military Tribune Weiss shall serve as Lord Handler for the XLII Session.

G. Kusoraev: “Next up. Hey. Aurik Bishop. You here?”

Aurik Bishop: “Yes.”

G. Kusoraev: “Please come and present your letter to the Royal Duma to those present. I will have a copy given to them, but it would be my pleasure to hear you speak on the manner.”

Iosif Basrid: “Is it the Bishop Elevator Act 2.0?”

Cardinal Nescia: “No, no, it must be the Ginger Rights Edict.”

A. Bishop: “To His Majesty’s Royal Duma. Ich am ein mand vell known for his long winded justifications. But here most reverently for the sake of time and understanding I will not speak far past plain simplicity, but as is said, 'of what is great, one must speak greatly, or remain silent.' I have no intention of silence. It is my observation that little effort but the status quo has been upheld to maintain the dignities of Nobility; and that recent shifts in our society have inclined the noble class to believe themselves no higher than the common man. In so doing they insult the memory of their most esteemed and established ancestors, and make the titles of their sons and daughters diminish in worth by the year. By virtue of stories and writings from men and women of the recent past, I have come to not only attain some knowledge of their mistakes, but understand the results of them; naturally the more important of the two. From such I have drawn this conclusion; it is plain to see, and naturally concluded, that when the structure of society is undermined by the expansion of its highest class… the foundation of the common populace becomes too thin, and the entire structure collapses. This can not be more clear than in the display of Sutica, Savoy, and Oren, who all in turn, flouted the dignity of their nobility, undermined the necessity of the larger common class, and were subsequently brought to ruin. My mentioning of this, is not at all trivial, nor is it lightly applied. For how much stronger was the Empire of Oren so many years ago, to whom our kings gave their oaths? And how will you ignore the descendants of those Imperial bloodlines, who are presently humbled by the same common station that the actions of their fathers lowered them to? It is my hope that you among this chamber will attempt in the utmost to preserve the honours of your fathers and sons. That you will stay your legally-binding blade from slicing into pieces the good of the commoner class; and refrain from the perversion of their peaceful und stress-free lives with the sole-focus of equality among our King and those he chooses to call his PEER! It is my greatest fear overall, that one day, my children will not know a Haense whose King to swear fealty to, will not understand what circumstances - brought about by the folly of their ancestors, led to the destruction of the greatest nation to ever raise walls and banners upon any of God’s land. That is all. Thanks.”

G. Kusoraev: “Are we ready to move on?”

Cardinal Nescia: “Yes please.”

G. Kusoraev: “To ah… Debate.”

Cardinal Nescia: “Most certainly.”

I. Basrid: “I think the decline and collapse of Oren and Savoy had more to do with terrible, excommunicated schismatics who continued pointless wars that nit picky details about their nobility.”

G. Kusoraev: “Well, well, let's start with a bit of moderated debate. Raise hands if you want to speak, or something of the sort. Though. Though.I would like to first hear from the Palatine.”

Cardinal Nescia: “I demand a debate on how stupid moderated debate is.”

J. Barclay: “The purpose of the Nauherzen is to allow a middle ground between commoner and barony. It has been a heavy precedent for years that Nobility ist extremely hard to get. This process takes years, as it rightfully should. However, there must be something done to encourage these efforts to continue as it drags on. The point of the Nauherzen is to show aspiring houses that we see their efforts, and that they're achieving something. This position will not be handed out on a whim either.”

G. Kusoraev: “Alright. Debate is now unmoderated. Go on.”

Maeve Morovar: “Could we have a cap size put to this.. New title?”

A. Ludovar: “So …. Alderman …You believe that the Noble class should not think themselves the same as the common class, however … You also feel that the commoner class are being oppressed … ? Uh.. I don't believe that I understand whose side you are fighting on. The rights of the Peer or the rights of the Commoner?”

A. var Ruthern: “Let us not imagine this decree to be anything more than a bid for populist approval. The illusion of advancement that shall leave us with nought but empty estates when the son proves less able than his noble father.”

A. Bishop: “Exactly.”

A. Stafyr: “I do not see why you hold such an issue with this proposal, I ask of the Duma, which comes first? The chicken, or the egg?”

Cardinal Nescia: “Work must be put into enriching the commoner class.”

M. Morovar: “I feel as though this will do more harm to the Barons of Karosgrad than good to the people.”

A. Bishop: “I believe you misunderstand, Lady Ludovar. The commoners are not being oppressed in the least. And indeed the Noble class should not consider itself equal to the commoners. If that was the case, they should share their homes and farms with the citizenry freely.”

A. Stafyr: “Patriarchs may sometimes spend their entire lives striving for nobility, only to lack the opportunity to prove themselves. They wear themselves unto exhaustion until their families are caught in an infinite limbo.”

Cardinal Nescia: “Not trying to speed up the foolish removal of good educated intelligent commoner families from their commoner roots.”

A. var Ruthern: “Then let them fade into obscurity, as the house of Stafyr did.”

A. Stafyr: “Surely rising families, such as the Bishops among others, deserve a chance to prove themselves for higher things?”

A. vas Ruthern: “I see no reason why there should be an added level below that of nobility. Gentry was already put in place and hardly used so why is it that we add something else that will not be used again?”

Cardinal Nescia: “The commoner class will collapse further, and less commoners will be able to take up the positions of Alderman and Maer as they're supposed to.”

A. Ludovar: “But you are still niet being clear. You present conflicting arguments.”

A. var Ruthern: “Perhaps it has become difficult for the honourable lord to remember those struggles, being so distanced from them.”

Cardinal Nescia: “If we keep trying our hardest to remove commoners from their nests and drag them into nobility the moment someone manages to have youths that live past their fifth winter.”

J. Barclay: “Cardinal. Nauherzen are not on the duma, they will still have to run for Alderman to have a seat.”

I. Basrid: “That's what happens when you put [REDACTED] in charge.”

Cardinal Nescia: “I know!”

A. var Ruthern: “Yes nobility is in a line, in the blood. Why dilute our already messy pool of titleage when we've many other ways to reward good service.”

Cardinal Nescia: “But the Alderman seat is meant for commoners.”

A. var Ruthern: “Can anyone in this hall truly tell me we've some shortage of nobles ambling about?”

A. Bishop: “I believe we can get quickly past the issue of commoner houses rising in status, by granting them gentry status There are many privileges the Koeng can grant to lesser Houses in recognition.”

F. Weiss: “I would agree - populism would be an issue should such a precedent. Nobility should be made of sterner stuff. Nobility is not earned, it is granted - only by the Crown. It should not be boiled down to a mere popularity contest.”

Cesar de Pelear: “Was this not meant to be a moderated debate, or did we move to unmoderated?”

M. Morovar: “Giving them gentry status. What are we Oren now?”

A. Bishop: “We did, sadly, Viceroy.”

Cardinal Nescia: “The gentry class must be defined if we're to keep using the term so often.”

I. Basrid: “We've had gentry for hundreds of years, what are you talking about?”

A. Ludovar: “Gentry status is assigned to Knightly families, as the Haurul Caezk says.”

A. Bishop: “We are trying not to be Oren. That is why we ought not to expand our already bloated nobility.”

C. de Pelear: “Sorry, I am having a hard time keeping up with everything with everybody speaking all at once.”

A. Stafyr: “What kind of rewards? Point to them, and tell me what they are. Because as of this moment, I see them to be very few.”

A. vas Ruthern: “Da, what Iosif said? Why add another level when we could simply use the Gentry class? It was put in place and simply forgotten about.”

A. Stafyr: “We speak of the commoner class, yet the commoners often go without representation in many of this nation's institutions.”

Cardinal Nescia: “That's because most things in Haense revolve around nobles. So everybody clamours for nobility.”

J. Barclay: “This is the Gentry class, Lady Ruthern.”

A. Stafyr: “They are forbidden from partaking in courtly positions. Often, alderman are installed by the larger houses.”

A. var Ruthern: “Did we not just now select a commoner to stand as Lord Handler?”

A. Bishop: “There is already a gentry class, one that has been neglected of definition or acknowledgement by the Societal structure for decades.”

A. Stafyr: “And as our Royal Inquisitor.”

Cardinal Nescia: “And most commoners just disappear as soon as a noble family has a new child.”

A. Ludovar: “Alderman positions are taken by the noble Houses because no commoners show interest.”

A. Stafyr: “An extremely new development.”

Cardinal Nescia: “I think it's some sort of strange black magick.”

C. de Pelear: “Because commoners feel hopeless running against established noblemen in political elections. Granted, I do agree that we should not bloat our nobility with fancy new titles.”

A. Bishop: “We must then give commoners something else to want than nobility. Give them something to do.”

A. Ludovar: “Viceroy, I think you mistake cause and effect.”

Cardinal Nescia:: “We must make a resolution stating as a Duma our opposition to this new weird title.”

Duma was cut short due to the raid by Acre upon the Kingdom of Balian.