The Sovereign Order of the Petrine Laurel

W-_kVQ-n8xoU2DB11tWcx8gTtp_m5S8d1nOp4Hb-8rBOYc0l1AQkA2Q3Hv8wKguO7iR1UQxUIqqIcWUPvVcR-PGpxxe8MBVks9snDp7ypJWGIzQ6mhqYWeihdqBeBYr_NOyaEu1TSBgORPmHUhvqsZxXw0ALukDWjY46CQlYY9ILV0NNyTo

THE SOVEREIGN ORDER

OF THE

PETRINE LAUREL

Spoiler

Thanks to @Evaluate @AndrewTech

FOREWORD

Established in the Year of Our Lord 1883 from the integration of the household knights of each of the Houses of the Old Régime, the Sovereign Order of the Petrine Laurel was confirmed as the foundational power of the Commonwealth with the framing of the Constitution of the Petra. Ever since it has served as a chivalric brotherhood with the mandate to govern in the name of the Old Régime.

Inspired by the ancient ideals of knighthood, three circles were created by its first Grandmaster, Dame Catherine of Furnestock, to offer different methods of admittance into the nation’s most sacred fraternity. The Princess Imperial, being a grizzled veteran of many battles, sought to concisely define these ancient ideals. It was her view and the view of the Regent of the era that several different paths to knighthood should be offered to those who sought to prove themselves and join the ranks of this most prestigious order.

Thus, the Circularis Triumviratus was established. This was done with the intention of enfranchising the ideas of chivalry and brotherhood beneath one banner, and to provide direction to those seeking admission into the Sovereign Order of the Petrine Laurel and better serve the Commonwealth as knights of the new republic. Each prospective knight, when receiving their Accolade from a member of the Old Régime, is simultaneously initiated into the Circle whose trials they have completed, thus joining the Sovereign Order as a full-bodied brother or sister.

THE CIRCLES OF THE ORDER

The Circle of Saint Emma of Woldzmir

Known for championing the virtues of sisterhood and courtly dignity, the membership ofo the Circle of Saint Emma of Woldzmir consists of women dedicated to the preservation of the social fabric and heritage of the Commonwealth. Their stewardship of the realm’s culture is paramount to the Republic’s integrity, and these ladies are considered to embody chivalric dignity in all that they do.

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/217021-the-circle-of-saint-emma/

The Circle of the Star

Named in honor of the guiding light of mariners and wayfarers, the Circle of the Star is made up of those who have furthered the values of the Commonwealth to the utmost extent. Those within this Circle will often squire under a knight of it after being identified on the basis of their own personal merit, their talents being further trained and honed by their mentor as time goes on. These squires are often dispatched on quests in the name of the Republic to prove themselves in their areas of strength, whatever they might be, before being named to this Circle.

[Link TBA]

The Circle of the Eagle

Those members of the Circle of the Eagle are bestowed their knighthoods on the basis of martial acumen, often having proven themselves as warriors of the Commonwealth of the utmost repute. Their path to knighthood often involves the undertaking of perilous quests in the name of chivalric honor and for the glory of the Republic, with those named to this circle being done so almost uniquely on the basis of personal merit rather than squireship.

[Link TBA]

THE PLEDGE OF SEVEN MERCIES

The Four Kinds

I swear to Feed the Hungry.

I swear to give Drink to the Thirsty.

I swear to Clothe the Naked.

I swear to Harbour the Harbourless.

The Three Worthies

I swear to pay Visit to the Ill.

I swear to allow Meetings to the Imprisoned.

I swear to Bury the Dead.

THE FOUR CHIVALRIES

The Four Chivalries

I swear to be Valiant in the face of all Odds.

I swear to be Fearless in the face of Uncertainty.

I swear to be Loyal to GOD and Country.

I swear to be Dutiful to Family and my People.

TRADITIONS OF THE ORDER

Food Taster

To have the host of a meeting provide a courtier or taste for themselves their offered food and drink for poison before the guest’s consumption.

The Bearing of Blades

To wear an arm’s-length sword, sheathed in full leather, upon one’s hip whilst anywhere within the lands of the Commonwealth, including those territories reserved for the Old Régime.

Squires and Wards

To take a youth as a squire, a page, or a ward, and train them true - that once they come of age, they too may go before the Senate and be confirmed into the Order.

Challenge

To challenge another of the Commonwealth to a duel that must be accepted; though the challenged is then allowed to choose the form of said duel, so long as it may be well-administered by the Tribunal.

Hospitality Rights

When freely invited into a home in the Commonwealth, a knight is to be afforded right and good foodstuffs free of maggots and rot; and the protection of the host from the first foot set upon the host’s lands and safe passage ‘til their last foot is removed, and such shall be expected for three days and two nights at least. Knights are expected to offer the same to their own guests, whether citizens or from abroad.

THE BOOK OF THE RIVERS

The deeds and names of every knight of the Petra are recorded into a colossal codex, preserved within the stonework of Mount Garmont that they might be recorded for all eternity. Known simply as the ‘Book of the Rivers,’ it contains within it the chivalric chronicles of the Sovereign Order of the Petrine Laurel, stewarded over by the Order’s designated Lorekeeper and made available to all who may wish to review it.

[Link TBA]

LEADERSHIP AND MEMBERSHIP OF THE ORDER

The Sovereign Order of the Petrine Laurel is nominally led by the Grandmaster, whom also acts as the leader of the Commonwealth as a whole. The Order’s commander, however, is the Knight-Paramount, chief controller and final approver of the Order’s membership. The Knight-Paramount may reject granting a squire or other aspirant membership, though by unanimous approval of the leadership of each of the three circles may be vetoed from power in turn. In the same vein, the Knight-Paramount is capable of conducting a knighting ceremony themselves, should the Regent or Old Regime otherwise be unable or otherwise incapable of doing so.

Additionally, all Knights must be members of one of the three Circles; if they are removed from one for any reason, they may seek entry into one of the other two; if they are unable to find entry, such is tantamount to losing their knighthood.

O SAINTE RÈGNE PETRÉRE

HIS GRACE, Paul Salvian

Archduke of the Petra,

Count of Temesch and Moere

HIS EXCELLENCY, Ser Bernard of Brasca

Grandmaster of the Commonwealth of the Petra

Edited by Commonwealth of the Petra