What Stopped You From Playing An Orc?

Qizu

Being bombarded with Thanos cock and Thanos truck a few years back as soon as I joined on of their discords.

Community back then was not my cup of tea for obvious reasons and I've stayed away since.

It's changed since then obviously, but I'm just not interested.

always thought it would be fun to play an orc but composing sentences in blah gives me a migraine headache

I've always hated accent RP, even Haense accents, and blah is definitely the worst of the lot.

The biggest reason, as others have mentioned, is the incredibly limited culture. Orcs were created by Tolkien to be intimidating grunts for the heroes to kill. Since then, that's what they've mostly been used for. Making a culture out of Villain Red-Shirts that isn't flat and two-dimensional is intrinsically going to be harder than for other races, and I don't get the impression that orc lore in LotC has succeeded there. 

To scratch my warrior itch, I recently joined the Bronze Band near Krugmar, and they really accomplish everything good about orcs without the bad, in my opinion (coming from someone who knows very little about LotC orcs, of course). It's a predominantly warrior culture but with much more fun prose and no accent RP. Bronze elves can be pig-headed and stubborn while still emoting interesting things and not devolving into "KRUG KRUG KRUG."

I'd also echo what others have said about Krugmar isolationism. I really don't see orcs out and about (heck, I barely ever see them in Krugmar whenever I visit), and again that makes it incredibly limiting in terms of interesting RP. I've played for 2 or 3 years now and don't think I've ever interacted with an orc outside of Krugmar.

Finally, the brutish pig-man aesthetic has just never been appealing to me, especially since again, even the simple design makes it had to differentiate one orc from another. 

Overall, I really don't know what they could do to be more appealing, and maybe it's better that they don't do anything and just market themselves to those who evidently like that kind of RP/vibe. After all, somebody has to be the smallest race. Some cities are bigger than others, and that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the smaller ones; it just doesn't attract as big of a common denominator.

Personally I felt quite sidelined and invisible in the orc community.  The community in general went into a full on Spiritualist roleplay setting and there wasn't much conflict roleplay going on. It felt as if ideas and suggestions were being ignored by leadership as well. Also a major project that me and a few friends had been working on for a lot of our time on LOTC got evicted with not much of an explanation. I personally think that the two veteran players who contribute the most to the Orc community are Panashea and Wolfkite the latter of which has left the server since he graduated college and got to old for the server. I noticed that the quality of my experience in the orc community significantly deteriorated after Wolfkite left the server. I noticed that you also took a break from the server around that time and also our Irp war, territorial and activity gains and any progress in general that we had made in 2022 got reversed within 2 months of Wolfkite leaving the server. 

For me what was hard was seeing and hearing about some of the blunders that Orc leadership made despite the feedback that members of the community had given irply and oocly. 

And also the lack of quality conflict. There needs to be a balance between conflict and spiritualist orc stuff. Don't get me wrong the Spiritualist stuff is good but orcs also need to be warriors.

i quit orcs and lotc as a whole because it all got way too toxic for me to handle at some point

orcs are less toxic now i hope, but back then when I started playing as Daleka, i remember things going pretty downhill with toxicity like people spam messaging me snake when i was on the other side of a war even tho i hadn't played an orc for a year.

i dont really remember who called me a snake but that made me butthurt back then for some time, like, dude, its just a game

also, people can simplify their blah so it gets easier to learn. I used to write normal english and only replace it for orcish words here and there, like a s with a z.

i would rather not talk like a meth head from skid row playing chubby bunny with a pair of old socks filled with glass and i cbf to learn about da brappah

orkz also can’t decide if they want to be knock off mordor, Warcraft orcs, greenskins….

finally, orkz as a nation or society almost always devolves into a PVPer banana republic or just a non inclusive, unappealing mass. they would do much better following the ELDER SCROLLS example and establishing lair-like strongholds where they held themselves to a strict honor code or w/e, same with being nomadic. could even make a story of orcs dying out rather than larping in cities and deciding if ur a war nation or a weed nation 

lack of persona slots tbh

i have too many characters

But I really want to make an uruk lady that just goes around places and helps kids. 

Like see a kid getting bullied, walks over, puts the kid on their shoulders. "Try to bully them now, dumbass"

• Lack of Organization
  • Lack of Cohesion between Clans
  • Easily painted as bad guy, pressured by foreign alliances/kingdoms
  • Treated unfairly as villains by Staff
  • Unsecured Traditions
  • Foreign races appropriating Shamanism as their own
  • Less focused on Ancestors,  and more on the ambitions of Immortals
  • Shaman Community practically dissolved
  • Shamanism Rewrites
  • Forcing PKs on Orcs at earlier ages
  • Ologs changing to Creature Applications from being a main sub-race
  • Unregulated amount of Greater Spirits
  • Constant cycling of Rexdom
  • Constant changing of Orc government

Athera-Vailor and mid-Axios was probably the last time Orcs had a secured culture, but it's just been a rollercoaster of defeats each map since. There have been some achievements over the maps after that, but never amounted to anything beyond skirmishes aside from the Elysium Siege. 

LoTC Orcs have such a unique culture aside from any of the other Orc conceptual cultures (LoTR, Warhammer) that people play by. It is just very sad to see such a great main race withering away.

Mi lub dah bruddas! Mi kuddle wib dah bruddas everahday and lat iz juzt buylt dyffyrahnt. Ib lat nub ahble tu blah dah blah dhen lat iz jub weakz lyhke lyttle twyggyez!

Blah, 100%. Playing an orc sounds super fun, but I do NOT want to have to type that way.