Subj: WHALE FAT SHIPMENT

warlord of filth

Spoiler

[!]

The contents of this letter are visible only to the eyes of the Arch-Lector of the Flaming Covenant Cohort: delivered under the midst of the night in a filthy parcel filled with various vials of whale oil.

18th_century_arctic_whaling.jpg

The Dodaitose Whaling Guild

Parts Unknown

To: Danzen of Dodaitose

Subj: WHALE FAT SHIPMENT

My brother,

A large shipment of whale fat is being partitioned to head your way. The harvests this year have been ripe: Whale bones for traditional charms, and the fat to be used for fuel, butter… All the sorts. Father and mother have fallen ill: Among them, our brothers and sisters get sicker by the day. The wood of our house rots, but our business must endure, even if we have an off season. 

I wish you well in the coming storms brother. Though it is turbulent, we will prevail. Light always shines even through the darkest nights.

[!]

It becomes increasingly obvious that the parchment is peeling, a message inside of a message: the second layer makes itself known to the reader as the thin exterior sheds like skin from a lizard. 

Spoiler

By now my letter has passed between at least a dozen Oyashiman Whalers and spice smugglers, that is if it will if it will even reach you Wise-Brother. The mountain passes of Gaekrin have all but been shut off by those serpents, and given the Lord’s light and fate deems that a parchment will slip by the checkpoints, then by his will we may be truly virtuous in the end. 

I do not know how else to write this, but you and your cohort are in grave danger, Wise-Brother. We had been deceived in our own home. The Lord Arch-Lector, Jon Taffer, had arranged a council among the Arch-Lectors present in our demesne concerning the reports of the discovery of Owyn’s own corpse. A procession of Godfreyists from the capital arrived the day of quorum. It all had happened so fast, armed men storming the council chambers: mercenaries? Traitors? It was beyond me. A bolt pierced through the Lord Arch Lector's skull, GOD rest his soul. It was as if the walls of the Temple of Ard Kharyll were made of paper: an entire generation of Novitiates slaughtered, our own library burned. It’s by chance alone I managed to slip out with some of our other brothers: Brother Damon, Brother Samuel, Brother Stefan, Brother Klaus… The Ember Initiative. We had managed to use the ratways to access the reliquary, and managed to smuggle out some of our Order's most prized possessions. 

Our candle dims, Wise-Brother. The Ember Initiative has been activated. As per the standard operating procedure during periods of great strife and heretical occupation, among yourselves and the remaining Cohorts out on expedition, for the safety and longevity of the White Flame, all Lectors are hereby ordered to stand down for the preservation of our order. We are what remains, and should the purple scum not reach you first, I only hope that the Lord’s embrace finds you, your sister, and your brothers before the serpent's field tongue does. 

-R

In place of the indisposed Arch Lector, Lector Oijin prepares a council meeting amongst the cohort to decide the order's future.