[Completed] [Settlement] The halfling village of Bywater!

NotEvilAtAll

Settlement PRO MC Name: AceOfHearths

Settlement Name: The halfling village of Bywater

Proposed Settlement Locations (Highlight 3 on the map):

unknown.png

Preferred (in order of preference):

tile 15

tile 143

tile 67

Settlement Lore (could include previous roleplay posts showing involvement with the community) (1000 words minimum):

Spoiler

Settlement Government Structure Explanation:

An elected Mayor and Sheriff along with an Thain. The Thain is in charge of diplomacy, the Mayor is in charge of day-to-day village management, and the Sheriff keeps the peace. Both the Thain and Mayor have the power to appoint Elders to act as stewards of sorts, keeping tabs on burrows and events, region perms, storage burrow access, and other such things.

Each elected position (Mayor, Sheriff) has a term of 8 years, but there are no term limits for re-elections.

Settlement Builds and Infrastructure (photos required):

All of these are halfling villages built by us in survival mode (as we intend to do for Bywater). Technically, much of Brandybrook was first designed in creative on a build server and then painstakingly copied over by hand without even using litematica, but it's still impressive for a non-pasted build nevertheless.

Current burrow building guide (by yours truly):

This guide should give you a pretty good idea as to what the typical halfling burrow will look like in Bywater, as it's what is most commonly sent to new halfling players as they build their first burrow. It's also not uncommon to take inspiration from youtube, pinterest, reddit, etc since many halfling/hobbit builds can be found there too (heck, some hobbit hole building guide videos on youtube have over a million views! Plenty of places to learn how to build in a good ol' halfling style).

Random burrow I made in singleplayer but never put on the forums:

Spoiler

2022-10-12_21.12.54.png2022-10-12_21.12.57.png2022-10-12_21.12.59.png2022-10-12_21.13.02.png2022-10-12_21.13.08.png

How does this settlement offer a unique niche not already found in an existing polity on the server?:

Halflings have been on the server for over a decade now, our culture staying more or less the same since 2012. Halflings are unique in that...
A: We let everyone build their OWN halfling burrows while most other communities use pre-pasted builds (sometimes even commissioned for real money) and don't let people make their own housing. Halfling villages develop organically as a result in a way that most LOTC settlements don't.

B: We focus on farm roleplay more than most other communities and offer a decent rural roleplay experience.

C: On top of building and farm RP, we also do crazy adventures sometimes to mix things up (just ask anyone about my HalflingQuest event storyline which has recently concluded).

How does your settlement tie to the greater lore and narrative set by the community on LotC?:

Halfling villages have always been a great place for wild adventures to start out small and humble. Although halflings can be somewhat isolationist at times, that does not mean they won't go out and impact the world on occasion!

Here is one such example of a halfling adventure, a legendary one whose influence is still felt in halfling politics to this day, when the Great Thain Rollo so gloriously stole the Thain Shovel from the big-folks!

More recently, we've opened up trade negotiations with the Dwarves of Khron'Hundmar and intend to continue it within this settlement, sending out trading caravans full of halfling farm goods to the far north whenever possible.

Just like most halfling villages prior to it, Bywater will grow organically and incorporate all sorts of character narratives into the build itself, with all sorts of little quirks, differences, and secrets in its burrows and fields! Halfling villages are always fun to explore for the first time as a result.

Have you ever run a settlement on LoTC before and what experience do you have with leadership within roleplay communities among the current groups of players?:

I am the current Mayor of the halflings on Almaris and I have some old experience running lots of halfling events going all the way back to Atlas. I started a trend called Dunshire Drinking Nights and ran events every week for the better part of a year, continuing the trend into Arcas and Brandybrook after Atlas ended. I still have a bunch of old screenshots in an old google doc from that time period. More recently, I've planned and co-run several CRP eventlines, some more serious (Rat eventline) and others more lighthearted (HalflingQuest).

The current guide to halfling roleplay was made by me as well as the most updated guide to building halfling burrows. I'm not a one-man show when it comes to leading, but I hope with the help of others I can do a decent job as Mayor for the rest of my halfling character's 8-year term, upon which I'll either be re-elected or some up and coming new player will take over leadership instead!

Other leadership:
Elders: @420alien @TakeMeT0TheFae

Thain: AceOfHearths (Harley on the forums sadly too many Harley-related forum accounts for me to find them big sad)

Do you understand the metrics for maintaining activity and the grounds for settlement removal, along with the standing polity cap?

I do!

Under review.

Application completed. You will be contacted by Staff on the application's status and next steps.