Crevel, AvoidRP (Alt)

Discord:

Crevel#9266

Ban Selection

In-Game Ban

Ban Reason

https://prnt.sc/4KO2So7geGqK

What circumstances led to this ban?

I’d like to preface for contextual reasons that prior to my ban, I was actively a member of Norland’s RP leadership and had been for months at that point on my Norlandic persona. I had gone to Norland using a different persona, affiliated only to the Skavik clan which is by its very nature RPly conflictual. Around the time when I was messaged by my friend, it had been around 8am after pulling a heavy all-nighter which was something extremely unconventional for me and I believe the lack of patience that came with my lack of sleep is why my responses were grouchy.

Up to a day before my ban, I, with a few others, had gone to Norland with the intention of performing some Villainy RP. Approaching the main city’s gates, we saw that they were closed. Therefore, we collectively tried to find alternative ways into the city - including myself. After a while of searching, I eventually came across a small tunnel on the outskirts that led to a lift sign into the city behind the temple. At the time, I did not think that there would be anything amiss about this tunnel and I originally thought that it was a hidden tunnel created by the NL (the topic of hidden ins and outs had been mentioned in VCs and leadership chats before but we, or at least I, were never shown the location of them). I would find out much later from mods that the tunnel was supposedly made by an alt of a banned player, but I haven’t been told who. With the group, we snuck around the city with /sneak and came to the main square only to see nobody except one or two AFK players. Not wanting to harass AFK players, we left the city and began preparing for a planned set of major raids that was to happen a few hours after.

A few hours later in the midst of the first raid, I had received a message from a friend of mine who was also in Norland’s leadership and they told me that three key members of Norland’s OOC and RP leadership, including the NL, were accusing me of letting people in through Norland’s citizen doors to raid. This, of course, was not true so I told my friend that it was wrong before vaguely explaining that there was a weakness in the walls. My friend asked if I had told the others I was with about the weakness and I told them I did, when asked why, I told them that “I’m not a complete Norland shill”.

While I do stand by the general message of what I said, I will agree that the way I conveyed it was rude. After experiencing being in many groups and playerbases, I’ve grown disdainful of those who immaturely think that people should only “belong” to one group or playerbase.

I was told that the three key members mentioned prior were all mad at me, and that one of the people have a hard time trusting me and that the NL thinks that I’m a jackass. After hearing that, I told my friend that I’d leave Norland if the others were going to make such an issue of wanting to have fun on another persona that happens to go against Norland, I also remarked that “I am not any playerbase’s *****” before also stating that the NL was already aware of the villainous nature of the persona that I created and that I had already told them I’d still write posts for them (my RP position on my Norland persona). Around 20 minutes later, my friend messaged me again asking what the weakness was and I refused to answer. Again, this was because I had thought that the NL made the tunnel, but also because Alisgrad was already quite impenetrable as it was and it seemed unfair for those who might want to do villainy against Norland to tell the leadership about the weakness so that they could patch it up. They would then tell me that the three key members want to remove me from the King’s Council (Norland’s RP leadership).

I don’t think I need to explain how infuriated I was after being told that I was being removed from my RP position over OOC issues. I also found out around the same time as I was messaged that I had been banned from Norland discords, evicted from the regions, my RP properties (with no appropriate 3 day notice at the time which I was told ended up being given out after my ban so it is pointless to me), and the citizen doors. At the time, I was quite grouchy and brash, and (I would hope understandably to an outsider perspective) infuriated, so I thought at the time that it would be right for me to remove all the content that I had personally written for Norland from the nation’s forum account after they had made such an effort to make it impossible for me to interact with Norland in any capacity both OOCly and RPly despite my at-the-time recent contributions and overall contributions over the years.

It was for this mistake that I had gotten banned. From this point on, I’m going to make an effort to avoid Norland with its current leadership on an RP and OOC level. I will instead be putting my focus onto other personas that would be unlikely to have a reason to go near there. I will also do my best to avoid participating in joint forum accounts to negate the possibility of an occurrence like this happening again.

Are there aspects of the ban you agree and/or disagree with?

For the first fortnight or so after my ban, I was still quite brash and furious. As the duration of my ban went on however, it gave me some time to fully consider the role of my own actions in the situation. I do think that my ban was very much justified - after all I did heavily escalate the situation into a negative direction - and I think that the two month length was a good amount of time to reflect. While I am thankful that Moderation later corrected some inconsistencies regarding my punishment when it came to the forums, there are some criticisms that I have about the overall situation.

Moderation never came to me about the situation before they banned me. In my past experiences as a Moderator where for a time I was also a trainer before resigning, it is a well-known policy of Moderation to reach out to both sides where possible.. especially in a situation like this so that they are able to make a proper verdict that is not partial to one side or the other. Nobody from Moderation reached out to me prior to my ban to hear my side of the story for a verdict, it was only until I reached out to Moderation myself after my ban that I learnt anything about it.

Moderation, from my understanding, has not actually pursued any action against the other party for their part in the situation. If the situation was appropriately examined, it would be able to be seen that what I did (while bannable in its own right and as stated before was completely justified) was in response to something that was well and truly against the Community Guidelines of which LotC’s rules are modeled upon. The same definition of Major Toxicity applied to me is the same that could be applied to them: “being incredibly disruptive to a player/group (not sustained)”. It seems that a major part as to why I was punished by Norland’s leadership is because of my indirect affiliation to individuals that they hate, namely Orlanth and the60th, by being in the same cultural roleplay group. Regardless, the Moderation inaction is also despite the private report that I made to Rilath’s DMs regarding the situation (which he himself said was okay) in which I’ve heard nothing back.. not even a message of acknowledgement.

What motivates you to return to LOTC?

LotC has generally been the main source of my enjoyment when it comes to video games for the past few years. There is no denying that the server has a much higher degree of quality when compared to similar counterparts. I’ve dabbled in numerous niches and communities throughout LotC, and most of which have been enjoyable. I intend on involving myself in those that I have found enjoyable and turning myself away from those that are just troublesome.

Attach other relevant information.

After reading all that, here is some music that I find relevant to my appeal but it should also serve as a reminder to watch Transformers.