[Amendment] Transfiguration; Lesser, Potent and Grand Enchantments

ronin_champloo

Spoiler

Hey everyone, this is something that's been annoying me for a while as fundamentally speaking -- someone with Enchantments can beat a Voidal Mage, and be considered as a pseudo mage. With this, a 'real' Voidal Mage will always be better than a mass-produced enchantment.

[Amendment] Transfiguration; Lesser, Potent and Grand Enchantments

Lesser Enchantment: Non-Combative

A mostly aesthetic enchantment that has no major effects or combative potential. This is done with incredible ease and will likely be the first step in the Transfigurationist’s path to Enchanting.

- Lesser Enchantments can be activated in as little as [1] emote, and can have more aesthetic freedom should they not infringe in combat or out of their redlines.

Potent Enchantment: Non-Combative

The Alterationist imbues a mundane item with an artificial mana pool, oftentimes no bigger than a handheld object. These enchantments are on the less powerful spectrum of magic, spells limited to the range of a novice to adept mage.

- If the Enchantment is not used by a Voidal Mage, and is instead used by someone lacking ability in the Voidal Arts, the spell will take [1] extra emotes to cast.

- When casting or activating an enchantment, the user -- should they not be a voidal mage -- will find their movement halved. (etc. [4] blocks -> [2] blocks).

- Enchantments that apply an effect on a weapon, etc enwreathing it in flames will find their casting requirement lowered to [1] emote.

- Should the enchantment be a projectile-based enchantment, the object has to be pointed at its target during the entirety of the casting. If it's something small, akin to jewelry, the user has to either hold it within their hand or continuously face their target.

Grand Enchantment: Non-Combative

An experienced Transfigurationist implements magegold onto an object, allowing more room for mana to flow and more powerful spells to be cast, ranging from an Expert to Master mage. These enchantments are very taxing to the Transfigurationist and the participants involved.

- If the Enchantment is not used by a Voidal Mage, and is instead used by someone lacking ability in the Voidal Arts, the spell will take [2] extra emotes to cast.

- When casting or activating an enchantment, the user -- should they not be a voidal mage -- can only move [1] block per emote.

- Enchantments that apply an effect on a weapon, etc enwreathing it in flames will find their casting requirement lowered to [1] emote.

- Should the enchantment be a projectile-based enchantment, the object has to be pointed at its target during the entirety of the casting. If it's something small, akin to jewelry, the user has to either hold it within their hand or continuously face their target.

Credit:

No thank you, considering how many emotes most of these things already require. 

If the emote counts where 1 and 2 instead of 2 and 3 I think this could balance out enchantments a bit more (and maybe force people to use lesser enchantments more often smh.)

yes please. It annoys me so much to see people with like ten enchantments fighting practically like a mage :I

Good balance for enchant maxxing, what does non-combative mean tho?

I hugely agree with amending Lesser Enchantments to be activated in as little as one emote, but mages already have significant emote requirements that render most spells as "tank" functionaries in actual combat.

Adding an additional two emotes on the simplest of combative spells would be very cumbersome. A simple water jet spell that normally takes 3 emotes would require 5 under these guidelines. Requiring this many emotes would render an enchantment practically useless. Nobody would want to use them anymore. Furthermore, Grand Enchantments, which are mostly used for spells that require a large number of emotes already, would be incredibly infuriating for non-mages to utilize during combat or in anything save for the aesthetic sense.

I think the solution to the problem is to include a new amendment which limits non-mages to carrying only three potent enchantments on their person, or alternatively one grand enchantment and one potent enchantment. This would be a justifiable limitation ICly due to the limited amount of passive mana able to be drawn from a non-mage to recharge them. Forgoing this limitation could cause a user to feel extremely fatigued and potentially even faint.

Alternatively, reducing the emote requires from 2 to 1 for potent enchantments and from 3 to 2 for grand ones for non-mages might also be a better way to go about it. But even still, the sheer volume of enchantments that would have inaccurate descriptions would be a massive headache for the ST to handle and deal with, so I think I would personally very much prefer a solution that limits the quantity of carriable enchantments rather than the ability / speed of them thereof.

Ig it makes sense - mages just sh*t out 20 voidal weapons with enchantments, then sell it for a quick mina. Weaken the voidal magick users those neeks! 

So let's say you have a grand enchant of Brisk Step.
1 connect, 1 cast.
So that would be 5 emotes to move 12 blocks.

And your average projectile spell which is 1 connect, 2 to cast with chance to additional projectiles would become 5 emotes for a single projectile, which is usualy less dangerious than crossbows. 

Shield spells would also take longer time to cast than the heaviest carried crossbow's loading-aiming-fire cycle.

Enchantments already 'suffer' from needing to do the connect emote every time. Besides mages can also carry enchantments to increase their effective mana pool or unlocking spells outside of their own schools of magic.

In addition; Enchantments can't benifit from arcane focus which is a BIG BOON for some magics.

Also, please don't roast my lesser enchants, they are non-combat and cute already. q.q

1 hour ago, AndrewTech said:

-snip-

I completely agree. Reduce it down to 1 extra emote for potent and 2 extra for grand. 

The idea for only 3 potent or 1 potent and 1 grand is also a pretty nice idea.

riddle me this, batman; why do voidal mages always admit there's a problem with their magic, yet do nothing abt it while actively benefiting from it

42 minutes ago, PXY said:

riddle me this, batman; why do voidal mages always admit there's a problem with their magic, yet do nothing abt it while actively benefiting from it

Because this isn't one of the issues....

47 minutes ago, PXY said:

Then I would suggest you look at Arcane Focus instead, 2 emote teleport 24 followed by a 3 emote 64 teleport and BAM, out of combat before anyone can catch you.

I like the idea of tackling voidal magic and looking to make changes and fixes to it and amend some parts. Especially if they don't embark a nerf to existing parts of void magic *users*.

To the changes in this post I can agree looking this over that the change can be good however tweaked a bit. Your first suggestion of lesser enchantments I can be 100% down for.

The other two suggestions of increasing emotes for non-void mages is something I can also agree on, however as others have said the 2-3 extra emotes are a bit too much of a deterrent looking over some of the spells.

If it was moved to 1-2 extra emotes specifically that could be an interesting change I can get behind. I understand the issues of getting craft magic's and people pumping them out for "selling" purposes and this being a potential fix to it.

I would possibly also push a bigger emphasis on the "limitations" on enchantments as they're not really enforced, especially since it is one line specified in the lore.

More specifically, outline that when activating an enchantment you're limited to x movement and have limited actions. You have to hold the enchantment till cast, ext. I did not cross reference these things and coming from memory but I believe it's either mentioned once or twice in a single line. If we detail the limitation further it could also decrease sale as people would see the enchantment effectiveness diminish if it has deterrents more than its power. A mage shouldn't see an issue in this however since they're also limited by such limitations when casting their own magic.

Just some of my thoughts,

23 minutes ago, E__V__O said:

I like the idea of tackling voidal magic and looking to make changes and fixes to it and amend some parts. Especially if they don't embark a nerf to existing parts of void magic *users*.

To the changes in this post I can agree looking this over that the change can be good however tweaked a bit. Your first suggestion of lesser enchantments I can be 100% down for.

The other two suggestions of increasing emotes for non-void mages is something I can also agree on, however as others have said the 2-3 extra emotes are a bit too much of a deterrent looking over some of the spells.

If it was moved to 1-2 extra emotes specifically that could be an interesting change I can get behind. I understand the issues of getting craft magic's and people pumping them out for "selling" purposes and this being a potential fix to it.

I would possibly also push a bigger emphasis on the "limitations" on enchantments as they're not really enforced, especially since it is one line specified in the lore.

More specifically, outline that when activating an enchantment you're limited to x movement and have limited actions. You have to hold the enchantment till cast, ext. I did not cross reference these things and coming from memory but I believe it's either mentioned once or twice in a single line. If we detail the limitation further it could also decrease sale as people would see the enchantment effectiveness diminish if it has deterrents more than its power. A mage shouldn't see an issue in this however since they're also limited by such limitations when casting their own magic.

Just some of my thoughts,

some genuinely good feedback, ill address it whenever im free :)