[✗] Alchemy Lore Addition: The Blood Test

exogens

28 minutes ago, MapleSunflower said:

Can't believe we finally have "DNA"... which makes it feel too modern. 

I didn't care to comment before on it cause ooga booga blood mage go brrr when there's lore about fresh blood, but as Classy said, DNA doesn't technically exist as the whole thing deals with the soul

I can see the purpose behind the potion, but it seems like it’s too metagamey. Just being able to prove someone’s lineage gives but also removes from the whole idea of the rp behind those little noble cheating relations and such.

It basically just makes it: “ok guards cut them open we’ll see who they are related to” which at the end of the day is just kind of a cheesy way to figure out those ties IRP. It will become a case of “legal” metagaming.

Along with that chemistry in and of itself doesn’t exist because of alchemy, they are similar but not the same. Making a potion that’s just a DNA test seems modern especially when tech is pretty much capped to late medieval except for steampunk creations which still have limitations that make them seem more logical.

DNA testing is WAY too modern for the fantasy medieval setting, given irl it began in the late 1970s. If you look at techlock, its based on the IRL time periods that make up the setting we RP in and even then the farthest we go is steam power in the 1800s and only that far.

1 hour ago, Aehkaj said:

I can see the purpose behind the potion, but it seems like it’s too metagamey. Just being able to prove someone’s lineage gives but also removes from the whole idea of the rp behind those little noble cheating relations and such.

It basically just makes it: “ok guards cut them open we’ll see who they are related to” which at the end of the day is just kind of a cheesy way to figure out those ties IRP. It will become a case of “legal” metagaming.

Along with that chemistry in and of itself doesn’t exist because of alchemy, they are similar but not the same. Making a potion that’s just a DNA test seems modern especially when tech is pretty much capped to late medieval except for steampunk creations which still have limitations that make them seem more logical.

DNA testing is WAY too modern for the fantasy medieval setting, given irl it began in the late 1970s. If you look at techlock, its based on the IRL time periods that make up the setting we RP in and even then the farthest we go is steam power in the 1800s and only that far.

I was going to make my own comment on this but I agree with what is said above. Blood testing especially for information just gives me metagame vibes.

I don't think the potion should be approved on the basis of it.

21 hours ago, MapleSunflower said:

Firstly, there is nothing in the recipe that would utilize change within your potion. Potions can't magically change color based on genus (they still need dye for the boogie-bomb aesthetic potions i'm pretty sure). The color indicator just isn't accurate to alchemy lore. It sounds like the colors are simply based off the pH indicator for acids and bases. Saturation might be a better indicator. 

I don't understand why you chose Aether sign which is typically used for spook potions as far as I know. How do the two potions *know* when they are related? 

My biggest issue is that this will get meta'd so hard. It shouldn't detect anything past grandparents or nephews/nieces well. I think it'd be too OP to see anything more than 1st cousins. Medicinal Lore has specific lore locks and we can't even cut a lung to relieve pressure or collapsed lungs without killing the patient. The same is said for drawing blood from a patient and I hope it is done with the proper steps and training. 

Otherwise, cool lore. Can't believe we finally have "DNA"... which makes it feel too modern. 

For the color utilization part, originally I thought of using some chemical such as the ones that are usually used by chemists irl, however I felt like these things were quite modern to be used, so I thought maybe the benedict test that tests protien could be also something, but I thought originally in the lore that it doesnt make sense since we dont know about their existence yet so I may have decided that those symbols along with the vinegar may give the indication itself. However, I do 100% agree with you that saturation may be a better indicator, which if this lore gets denied, which is a high chance and that if I can edit / repost it I might do that.

For the Aether, I felt like it made more sense mostly due to the genus properties, which has magic properties and uses energy, mainly by blood mages so I felt like that was the one which made most sense to me.

I understand many people would meta about it alot, and I also felt like that might be an issue in the future, thus if this gets denied once more, Ill make sure to cap that to Grandparents and first cousins maximum. For the blood extraction I feel like there is a method that can be used safely without risking someone, however it wouldnt be as developed. 

Other than that, I'm glad you loved the lore and I thank you for your feedback honestly, as for the modern part, none of us are sure and its up to the ST for it to decide if it makes sense or not as alchemy works mostly with signs and sometimes we have things in the lore that in the real world is still not developed for, for example getting a new eye transplant using Animii or Flesh Alchemy

21 hours ago, Aehkaj said:

I did feel the metagaming part, just like my reply to Maple that it wouldve been a huge issue, thus this was one of my many reasons that I wouldnt let the potion quite open for public, just to prevent metagamers or salty people who cant get over the fact their spouse cheated on them and got a child from the affairs. If allowed, I may edit the lore and work on it more to focus on the 'soul' section and perhaps add more redlines to balance things out.

As for the alchemy part and development, I tried to make it seem as 'classic' as I could and yet not make it seem as if its a crazy invention, however if you think deeply to it, currently there has no medicine which replaces organs perfectly such as animii, or eye transplants and what not, so alchemy pretty much lore wise can be a mix however I understand your point in regards of the sense of lore which is why I feel like the lore addition might be denied, along if it contradicts the existing lore of 'genetics being related to the soul-wise'. I also thank you for the feedback by the way, as its very much appreciated.

Just get cuckolded like a normal human noble.

This is kinda just an excuse to Meta. It also shouldn’t work on ‘spooks’ who have different blood because if you for instance, tried this on an azdrazi , there is legitimately no reason it would work since they have actual dragons blood. For instance.

I think the concept is interesting and could be used by noble courts mostly. It can reduce meta by simply having a redline that states: "Transformative Magical Creatures (CAs) will render no discernable relation from the test."

I would also reduce the complexity of the results and instead just have it be GREEN for related and RED for no relation. The only tricky part about this test would be testing rofl-characters that manifest suddenly and claim to be of some noble descent - who is to say who is legitimate and who is just an impostor?

A possible solution to this would be to simply have it be a relation by 1 generation up and down (Grandparents, Parents, Child). This way, cousins and extended family will not come up for potential metagame. I think it would be funny to do Maury Povich RP amongst the elf community to see who the real baby daddy is. 

9 hours ago, Lhindir_ said:

This is kinda just an excuse to Meta. It also shouldn’t work on ‘spooks’ who have different blood because if you for instance, tried this on an azdrazi , there is legitimately no reason it would work since they have actual dragons blood. For instance.

It doesnt make any sense to work on Azdrazis, I only mentioned it worked on Vampires just so people do not use the potion to meta the fact they are spooks. I was told by the lore team that anything that probably gives out that fact would pretty much reach to a denial as people would abuse that triat

This lore has been denied. 

Management looked over the piece and decided this would be too metagamey, while an interesting idea it's ultimately better left toward more subtle roleplay and interactions between players without outright confirmation for more ambiguous and grey stories.