[Map Update | Your View] - 9.0

squakhawk

can I have my own island please? i want to stay away from all the bozo weirdos on the mainland

Whoever did the art is pretty talented but other than that, the CT suggestion was the only bit of meat and potatoes here tbqhwyf.

3 months is also not enough time for feedback and NOT being stuck on a flawed map for 3 years >>>>> amazing surprises(!!!) any day of the week.

There's not a word here about regioning, resource gathering, mechanics, etc. all of which honestly matter a thousand times more than the story.

Nice. As for the Cloud Temple, I would just say keep it in the center of the map as it always is. Keep it sandstone-based like the Cloud Temples of old and have it attached to portal hubs if the map is too big. No farms or bar!

I like the idea of adding regional lore for portions of the continent. Just sprinkle in ruins and provide guidelines to ET to foster stories in those areas. Archaeological sites and what not.

2 minutes ago, argonian said:

Whoever did the art is pretty talented but other than that, the CT suggestion was the only bit of meat and potatoes here tbqhwyf.

3 months is also not enough time for feedback and NOT being stuck on a flawed map for 3 months >>>>> amazing surprises(!!!) any day of the week.

We could have had feedback threads the past 4 months in which the map dev team was completely silent.

who's the painter

19 minutes ago, squakhawk said:

And one more question: what do you want from the Cloud Temple? Aesthetically & physically—what can we put there to enrich the experience? (especially for newbies & first-timers) We’ve used the CT as a ground for free foods, banks/auctioneers, and other amenities—but what does it mean to you? 

Could maybe find a way to make it a RP version of where all the posts in the event subforum go. Are you bored out of your mind and want to look for quests? Maybe there's something new posted in the Cloud Temple Adventurer'a Board (sponsored by Barclays ofc)

Think it'd be a nice place to promote the finding of parties or for people who play adventurers to find fellow peers. On the downside it might centralize event delegations if done too much (as it could discourage nations/settlements from having adventurer guilds of their own), but I think a nice common ground could be reached, perhaps just add a notice board to link events for muh immersion 

9 minutes ago, argonian said:

3 months is also not enough time for feedback and NOT being stuck on a flawed map for 3 years >>>>> amazing surprises(!!!) any day of the week.

There's not a word here about regioning, resource gathering, mechanics, etc. all of which honestly matter a thousand times more than the story.

Couldn't agree more. Thank you James2k.

please more islands

i’m all for this

and i’m all in for no hubs and making the map a living and thriving atmosphere, really pleased with everything i’ve just read

34 minutes ago, squakhawk said:

And one more question: what do you want from the Cloud Temple? Aesthetically & physically—what can we put there to enrich the experience? (especially for newbies & first-timers) We’ve used the CT as a ground for free foods, banks/auctioneers, and other amenities—but what does it mean to you? 

something refreshing but familiar. i understand the effort the 8.0 builders went through to accomplish this, but what we currently have is not reflective of that

by no means is it a bad build, but it's outlandish and familiar, and the actual layout is unnecessarily dramatic and overblown. a signature "cloud temple" palette is sandstone pillars, the pools of life and death, and even the immersion behind the "you begin to feel, you begin to see, you begin to etc etc" signs like what we had in earlier maps. those things tell a story. we don't have any of that in the current CT, and comparing it to a hypixel lobby isn't far off the mark. you can do something new and interesting without deterring from what we've grown used to for the past 10 years

i'm also a strong believer that CT should not be used as a spot for casual server RP any more than it is a place for new players to learn how to play.  i think it's very unhealthy to normalize using it as a safe-zone for server politics or other narratives have a potential for conflict, but every once in a while we hear situations where people will abuse this mechanic for that purpose, and to a less harmful degree, people engaging in casual RP there. RP should go to the player-ran communities and the rest of the interactable map, not a staff-ran, magically protected safe-zone 🤷‍♂️

28 minutes ago, squakhawk said:

[Your View] - Cloud Temple

Where do we put the Cloud Temple? Let’s say, not on the map but…above the map. This can solve the problems with CT that shows up in feedback over and over—the CT (and hubs) should not directly impact gameplay. So far we have been designing our systems around an off-map cloud temple, and seeing how we can even go without hubs. What do you think?

We also have some plans for reviving the Library of Dragur. However, it won’t be like its past form. Now, it’s going to be focused on player history told by the players, rather than just being a repository for every book on the map.

We want this to be the best iteration of the Cloud Temple, and we’re ready to try novel ideas.

CT should not be a spot for RP, it should be a place that sets the scene for the map in terms of lore and story and serve to captivate players as their literal first step into the world and in some cases first glimpse of the server. See the CT section of my post for more: 

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/216732-asharren-fan-made-map-design/?tab=comments#comment-1936990

Add minecraft vanilla mines to the mining system instead of just either a massive block with ores spread out in it or the current system where u left click a head that represents the ore. That way, mining would actually be fun and exciting when you find a mineshaft or a massive ravine, especially with the deep dark update.

Obviously, strip mining wouldn't be allowed