[Map Update | Your View] - 9.0

squakhawk

Few suggestions:

• CT should be small and easy to navigate, not a gigantic distracting mess with random paths leading to God knows where and a load of unused space.
  • Mining and resource gathering should be vanilla. Give land some worth. Way less boring than nodes or resource farms too.
  • Introduce as many Minecraft biomes as possible, especially the new ones, and especially stuff like the Deep Dark. It'd be way more interesting to explore than the same 10 premade ruins you're gonna discover within a week of launch and which you can't touch unless you [[contact ST to interact]]. How cool would it be to find a random ravine and discover that some random players had already built a little base in a cave there? 

• Heavily restrict pasting. Vortex making resource-gathering nigh impossible has caused people to become too used to the really silly idea of entire landscapes just changing overnight. Not only is the pasting utterly ridiculous and anti-RP, but because it's easier to wait for a paste than to gather and build stuff by hand, everyone will obviously wait for the paste--which creates boredom and stasis while people wait.
  • Add some areas with mobspawners and give mobs some decent drops so people can have fun and make some money hunting. The typical argument against giving them decent loot is "inflation!!!" but I'd rather an economy run off hunting than off of people selling so many cringe named items that they lose all meaning.

All-in-all, just let us play Minecraft.

7 hours ago, squakhawk said:

[Your View] - Cloud Temple

Where do we put the Cloud Temple? Let’s say, not on the map but…above the map. This can solve the problems with CT that shows up in feedback over and over—the CT (and hubs) should not directly impact gameplay. So far we have been designing our systems around an off-map cloud temple, and seeing how we can even go without hubs. What do you think?

We also have some plans for reviving the Library of Dragur. However, it won’t be like its past form. Now, it’s going to be focused on player history told by the players, rather than just being a repository for every book on the map.

And one more question: what do you want from the Cloud Temple? Aesthetically & physically—what can we put there to enrich the experience? (especially for newbies & first-timers) We’ve used the CT as a ground for free foods, banks/auctioneers, and other amenities—but what does it mean to you? 

We want this to be the best iteration of the Cloud Temple, and we’re ready to try novel ideas.

I wont lie, One the best ways Aesthetically. When youc onsider all the things that are lore approved to just monk magic in general. I wouldnt be surprised but actually excited to see if the next CT was its own floating Island. Not only would this mean it cannot interfear with the world proper below. But it would also give some rendition to make Soul Stones canonical once more.

Instead of these teleporting fast travel points that people have oocly in their inventory. They could be some form of key in order to acess the cloud temple. (To prevent fall damage I can only assume its walled off with barrier blocks). As for hubs, the origional portal gateways would fit it, since like the temple I think hubs would be essental for people to get to a starting point since the most that can counter it is having just warps to all places.

Tl Dr, sky island would be the most interesting, if not some type of underdark with tunnels.

I'll be quite honest, the lore/story for a map or the transition to-and-from matters little to the playerbase at large compared to the story they create themselves by simply role-playing on the server.

I remember a lot of storylines, events and locations designed by staff that worked on some story going to waste as nobody but a select few of their friends bothered to unearth in previous maps. I've heard stories about Anthos, for instance; how half the builds got abandoned because players were far more invested in their own inter-personal plotlines and nation/faction conflict; or Asulon, even, where it took the map becoming corrupted after a series of attacks on the server itself for the large majority of the playerbase to find out there was even a world story/questline going on behind the scenes.

As far as what the world may need for a story to develop, I can think of ancient landmarks and ruins sprinkled throughout in a way that makes sense from a geopolitical standpoint. Interesting sites people can work with directly or narratively. Give us gorgeous vistas and interesting geography. Design a proper sandbox, and approach it as you would a hex-crawl TTRPG. Avoid staff-made antagonists and all the large-scale, over-arching nonsense that comes with them. They often do nothing but annoy players as it gets in the way of the stories they want to tell. If it fails to be interesting to them or align with the popular trends at the time, the entire project will have gone to waste. Besides, if we really want an antagonist force, we can come up with one, or become our very own.

The map story should be defined and written by the players in an emergent way. All you need to do is provide us with fertile soil. We'll handle the rest as we go about our daily lives on the server.

Edited by Arafel

As long as CT has a T Rex I'll be satisfied.

8 hours ago, argonian said:

Few suggestions:

• CT should be small and easy to navigate, not a gigantic distracting mess with random paths leading to God knows where and a load of unused space.
  • Mining and resource gathering should be vanilla. Give land some worth. Way less boring than nodes or resource farms too.
  • Introduce as many Minecraft biomes as possible, especially the new ones, and especially stuff like the Deep Dark. It'd be way more interesting to explore than the same 10 premade ruins you're gonna discover within a week of launch and which you can't touch unless you [[contact ST to interact]]. How cool would it be to find a random ravine and discover that some random players had already built a little base in a cave there? 

• Heavily restrict pasting. Vortex making resource-gathering nigh impossible has caused people to become too used to the really silly idea of entire landscapes just changing overnight. Not only is the pasting utterly ridiculous and anti-RP, but because it's easier to wait for a paste than to gather and build stuff by hand, everyone will obviously wait for the paste--which creates boredom and stasis while people wait.
  • Add some areas with mobspawners and give mobs some decent drops so people can have fun and make some money hunting. The typical argument against giving them decent loot is "inflation!!!" but I'd rather an economy run off hunting than off of people selling so many cringe named items that they lose all meaning.

All-in-all, just let us play Minecraft.

Yes please on the hunting part! I miss the hunting plugins, they were so much fun. You can still roleplay going on hunts with your friends if fighting mobs ain't your thing. Just make sure the mobs don't attack first unless you do. 

By the love of god, make it in the next map that the two biggest nations are always either non-allied or enemies, and make it that every coliation has balanced powers or at least two nations together maximum. The amount of misbalancing that's happened in wars, for example the civil war in Oren or the EATO war was so unfair;

Not to mention, please make it in the next map that tiles and nations get more balanced. Some tiles are left untouched due to it being near the CT. Make it that everything is equally far off. 

A few people have already mentioned this, at least @argonianbegan his post with it from what I can see, but I'd like to put extra emphasis on this as a relatively new person. The only thing I'd want is clear navigation assistance. If there are no hubs, this becomes even more pertinent of an issue to me. Currently, the signs aren't always reliable.

Urguan is the only nation where you'll have a sign saying CAPITAL THIS WAY at every turn and fork of the road, all the way from CT to the entrance of the city. Other signs sometimes will have old names. Sometimes signs will have the names of their cities/settlements, even when the only name used on a common basis OOCly and ICly is the name of the nation, thus leading to confusion. Sometimes a sign pointing to a city or nation will lead to a two-road split with no way of indicating which is the correct way at all.

Please, don't make me go through this again on a new map. It's entirely likely I'm in some sort of minority of actual navigational issues, but from my perspective it really feels like this, along with the walls/gate-checks is so damaging to the current city roleplay activity state.

I would suggest a combination of:

1) Warps directly from an off-map CT directly to nation capitals and settlements (no hubs). In my opinion one of the most grotesque consequences of hubs has been the urbanisation around these areas - many further off areas of the map run completely fallow and are written off as de facto ‘unusable’ while the ‘meta’ for settlement building is being as close as possible to a hub. This makes very little sense in RP, as hubs are generic, uninhabited no man’s land. This used to be the case with the on-map CT as well, which is arguably just as unpleasant for the map. But if the warps were to go directly to RP hubs, it would likely have the effect of centering this ‘congregation’ more organically around actual commercial centres. Moreover, in theory, it helps new players find the RP quicker. 

2) Some sort of mechanic to make these warps one-way only - in terms of a limit on SSing back to the CT and using it as the primary means for instant travel across the map. The king’s delegation should be riding to their location, not mass SSing to the CT to get a warp because it may be more efficient. 

3) Roads should go exclusively between nation capitals, settlements and other towns or villages - no ‘roads to nowhere’ or ‘theme-park’ settlement placements. Settlements in the context of good world-building generally originate on natural trade routes and thoroughfares, which means roads ought to go through them rather than veering off to dead-ends. Ultimately, all settlements should be connected by roads but this doesn’t have to be a highly artificial ring-road in the unfortunate fashion of last map. 

see you in two maps

Clearly in over your head lmfao... be ready for everyone to shit on all the work you have done just like you shit on the past World Team. 

No one will thank you.

1 hour ago, VonAulus said:

Clearly in over your head lmfao... be ready for everyone to shit on all the work you have done just like you shit on the past World Team. 

No one will thank you.

Almaris was genuinely **** and shittily put together. At least this lot are putting effort into properly communicating w the community for the next one. Go retire.

3 hours ago, VonAulus said:

No one will thank you.

thanks grool

15 hours ago, VonAulus said:

No one will thank you.

ok boomer