An old guide to making a character you'll cry about

Tigergiri

Tigergiri you named groups long dead, missnamed some, Elvenesse has main RP hub of elves... its not even named that anymore. 

This looks like it wad written 2 years ago. 

On 11/8/2022 at 1:38 AM, Tigergiri said:
  • Orcs

Orcs are not all the same. Do not even try to kid yourself into thinking about it. In the heat of the moment, getting raided may feel the same to you, but it is not. They may all talk in blah, which is hard to understand. The way I learnedre not all the same. Do not even try to kid yourself into thinking about it. In the heat of the moment, getting raided may feel the same to you, but it is not. They may all talk in blah, which is hard to understand. Placing straws in my mouth while pretending they were tusks allowed me to learn Blah. Blah was to put straws in my mouth and pretend they were tusks and talk. In VC, everyone made fun of me, yet it worked! Orcs operate in their own unique manner. It is comparable to the Slytherin house. Even though they have a bad reputation and are despised by everyone, they are actually incredibly proud and honest people. They will typically accept a Klomp (pvp) to the face with grace. Even if it initially seems more tribal, the more you look at this gem in the rough, the more you could like it.

I am mostly just very confused by the repeated sentences in this part. Like, just read it. What's going on with it???

I'm going to play a human who lives in Savoy and is easily sunburned, a dark-dwarf from Mynebor who oversalts their food, and an illiterate elf from Elvenesse.

Spoiler

Ralph Fiennes almost turned down Voldemort role because he didn't know  anything about 'Harry Potter' - Deseret News

And which of you will stop me?

should place a spoiler up top saying it's a parody, to prevent misleading new players (or dumb old ones)

Hate to blogpost but I will anyway.

The intent of this guide is probably for all the wrong reasons, but the small philosophy about creating characters with depth is something that rings true. Emotions are something that we should feel with roleplay, it helps evoke certain reactions to scenarios and also allows for a further depth that allows for characters to become their own people beyond your every control. You should be making characters that are not throwaways, giving them flaws, dreams and goals to actually follow and build their own personal philosophy to create a truly unique experience.

What most people fall into the trap of, is that these goals are motivated OOC or your character turns into an extension of your irl problems and how to escape and/or deal with them [Which escapism is fine to do if you really need to, but the narrative of others is what should be prioritised over all]. You should care about your characters, their actions and their resolution, it should be slightly emotional to let go of a good character that you have spent years on. Though, it becomes a problem when these emotions leak into roleplay itself and stop your character from actually performing how they would with what has been built for years, sudden 'preservation' instincts, making them break their morals to not PK, even avoiding PKs entirely and disparaging an entire group for your own personal gain. 

You should also never approach these characters similarly to tabletop characters, it is viewing the server in a closed lens when we compare the stakes of what this server actually presents to the player. DnD and most tabletop settings are following the few, where the world is crafted around them and their actions. Every single interaction that a DM does for a small, personal group, will always be with the end goal of entertaining and enjoyment of those playing it. It is like playing a single player RPG. Then comparing to this server, where hundreds of players actually craft the world, the circumstances and the existence that your character has been thrust into. It is a truly unique experience of a sandbox that has rules, limitations, hierarchies and experiences that go well beyond the structure of a typical RPG. It is a narrative that is not written by you, but you are able to contribute small amounts to this book to craft a story of a world that has existed beyond your input. It is the main appeal of LotC, being able to either be such a monumental figure, or just a passerby that could change someone's characters ambition with a few words. 

The depth of characters that you have on the server can be monumental, but you must always realise that every action you take is affecting another person's story, it is truly selfish to believe that you are the center of the universe and the server does punish those that think in this mentality with how easy it is to die for speaking out of turn in court, getting randomly attacked or even suffering massive defeat against creatures beyond your comprehension. You are allowed to feel emotion for your character's story, it allows for your own roleplay to be augmented by what a human[person] would truly feel in that situation. But it can never break into OOC or the outcome of roleplay itself, a PK is a sweet resolution of closure, a loss is a great way to build character, a win is a pursuing of goals, but all of these things are done to expand the story of those around you, not your own.

Don't be a selfish roleplayer, this server does not need more of them

While this thread is dead, I would like to remark to make chances with people or try to be the chance for people. Tigergiri I barely knew from maybe once or twice within the elven clique, but after she played my kid, we have been pretty close friends since. People on mcrp tend to be rather vicious and cliquey, and as a result, they hold attitudes that push them away from others oocly.

RP, while fun too, brings joy through friendship oocly. I do not rp regularly anymore but Tiger will always be my friend.

RP to make friends!