[Amendment] Blood Magic

rukio

38 minutes ago, FlemishSupremacy said:

Honestly, yeah, remove the spell. It's just used to cast it on people during events while being totally hidden to just troll and disrupt events. "haha, i will go to this court session and make everyone's eyes bleed. My tell? oh it's breathing out through my nose a bit harder than normal."

wait till you hear about sensory illusion...

1 minute ago, Borin said:

yeah I've only ever seen it used at large events to be irritating. Just get rid.

It happens on other occasions, not just at large events

me when I can’t metagame a spell that’s whole purpose is to be purely aesthetic and unmetagameable

the only people that dont like this are pvprs. lol.

Unlike Evo said it sounds theoretically powerful, but because under the redlines it says it doesn't cause harm most people just power through it with only a few people freaking out. In my experience it's been primarily used to attempt to freak people out long enough for a blood mage to slip away from a situation or to take revenge on annoying relatives.

In all honesty it could be a little stronger so if you are using it to freak people out to get away you aren't just relying on the others around you to rply react to it, but you know that's just my humble opinion.  

9 hours ago, Balmakka said:

This can be said for any magic. They all have stupid ways to use them, but outright removal of the spell doesn't really change that in this case. With this same spell, you can have dramatic moments of intimidation or even well planned subterfuge and framing, among other things.

If I'd have my voidal mage do any funky magic in a Haense court everyone see it because the eyes glow bright blue.

Flemish is right. IMO Blood magic needs a proper tell so it's not used for trolling.

6 hours ago, Laeonathan said:

Flemish is right. IMO Blood magic needs a proper tell so it's not used for trolling

Blood Magic does have proper tells you should to and they get less obvious the high your tier is. For example, at T1 you might have to stay completely still, not blink for the whole duration, only be able to talk minimally and stare at your target. At T5 it's less obvious as you no longer need to stare directly at your target and can do small actions like flipping through a book, but the blood mage still has to have signs of casting, like looking focused and being unable to blink. The magic is meant to be a bit more secretive and cult-like, other spells do have tells, like red mist flowing, but they do more than just aesthetics 

2 hours ago, MeteorDragon said:

Blood Magic does have proper tells you should to and they get less obvious the high your tier is. For example, at T1 you might have to stay completely still, not blink for the whole duration, only be able to talk minimally and stare at your target. At T5 it's less obvious as you no longer need to stare directly at your target and can do small actions like flipping through a book, but the blood mage still has to have signs of casting, like looking focused and being unable to blink. The magic is meant to be a bit more secretive and cult-like, other spells do have tells, like red mist flowing, but they do more than just aesthetics 

None of these, even at tier 1, are particularly noticeable and it would be a stretch to conclude someone was causing the spell because they're sitting still and looking at someone. (and consequently, would get you reported for metagaming if you were to call it out).

If you are going to be doing this to disrupt an event, there should atleast an obvious tell to show you're in fact making use of this spell. There have been several events which have been disrupted because a blood mage gave everyone bleeding from the ears/eyes/nose for no other reason than to disturb the event and that's some bullshit.

2 hours ago, MeteorDragon said:

Allow me to be serious for once when talking about this but stuff like standing completely still, not blinking or staring at your target is not a tell lmao -- the latter is a necessity for most casting and is incredibly hidden.

Standing still is not a tell, as it's something completely normal that can easily be hidden IRP, especially as this isn't stated to be a combative spell.

Emoting not blinking twice is not a tell either, that's something that can be easily hidden IRP. It can be chalked up as a character being weird or whatever.

Staring at a target is something already required of most magics as you need to see where you're going to cast.

None of these are tells. A tell is used to indicate or showcase that something is happening, and hidden tells used to be abused heavily to charge up spells and blast some unfortunate human before he could reasonably react to it IRP. However, this is the case for combat.  A tell is something used to indicate casting, like glowing eyes for Voidal Magics, fire and smoke for Nephilim, etc. They're something different that isn't the norm and they're used to indicate when something is amiss.

That's not to say that the spell is genuinely harmful, I'd say it's something used to affect RP rather than CRP. Looking through all of this, I don't really believe the spell SHOULD be removed entirely, as it's a vital part of Blood Magic, but rather an increase on noticeable tells while perhaps buffing its range and the amount of people it can affect.

I tend to balance spells, in my and other Lore, by seeing the counterplay against it. For this spell, there's little-to-no counterplay against it at all. There's no ways to prevent it. No way to go detect or deter it from happening to one's self, which is FINE. Genuinely. But when it's used to disrupt or mess with events, it just tends to feel like someone's trolling a playerbase or group just for the sake of it. If you're in the middle of an event, using magic to affect others around you, there should be some method to know that something's amiss -- or even something to force it to be more cultlike and secretive, forcing them to cast and do these spells from a safe distance.

Just my thoughts!