Some Life Evocation [Ammendments]

Glade

Subsection I: Beastmelding

Original

Spoiler

Beastmelding Mechanics

• All general Jing mechanics.

• Beastmelding doesn’t replace any existing features, instead being conjured over the area being modified. As a result, the physical prowess of the mage in question is what dictates the impact and capability of Beastmelding. Similarly, as it is conjured over their body, shallow and surface level damage may be absorbed wholly by the  conjured flesh, though deep cuts and blunt force trauma would still get through to the mundane flesh of the mage beneath.

• An extension to this, Jing cannot create additional limbs, as it cannot conjure over limbs that do not exist.

• Jing meant for Beastmelding must be worn over exposed flesh, and cannot be used with armour overtop. Sufficiently open or loose clothing (robes, a gi, pajamas, a t-shirt) would not hinder the usage of Beastmelding. Armour may still be worn (if possible), just not over limbs intended to be transformed.

• Anything the Jing user knows how to summon is eligible to be beastmelded onto their body. However, in order to actually use the summoned, the limb it’s summoned over must have the same general shape. For instance, the hand, the most flexible portion of the body, may be used as a bear paw (flat hand), a goat hoof (balled fist), or a canine’s head (shadow puppet). So long as the same general shape may be made, it’s a valid (though not necessarily useful or good) option. 

• Beastmelding requires two emotes to transform. For each additional Jing being used, one extra emote is required. Up to four jing may be activated at once through this method, totalling six emotes. However, this only works when activating in “bulk”. If a jing is activated, then three emotes later another is activated, both would use the two emotes for activating one Jing.

• Multiple instances of Beastmelding must affect different body groups. Each body group may be a unique alteration.

• Beastmelding does not require direct concentration to maintain, and so may be used in direct combat. However, being significantly wounded, knocked unconscious, deprived of mana, or having the limb currently undergoing Beastmelding be amputated all end the effect.

• Beastmelding does not connect the conjured flesh to the Life Evocationist’s, and is instead closer to an extremely tight form-fitting glove. As a result, any conjured eyes or ears do not convey any information back to the caster. They can, however, feel dullened versions of touch and pain through the conjured skin, due to how form-fitting and tight the conjuration is.

• In a similar vein, one must be careful when choosing what it is that they conjure over themselves. With regards to the head, anything which covers the eyes would blind the user, anything over the ears would deafen, and anything over the mouth and nose would suffocate. With regards to joints in general, anything sufficiently stiff conjured over the limbs would prevent proper articulation.

• Similarly to Chimeric Alteration, one must keep in mind that possession of specific bodily traits does not inherently confer the ability to effectively use them. For example, summoning a webbed membrane between the arm and torso does not allow one to fly as a bat would.

• Outside of combat, one may maintain any number of Beastmeldings (to the normal maximum of four) for up to one hour. Inside of combat, the unusual (for a mage) added strain of direct physical combat lowers this time to a mere fifteen emotes.

• The animal limbs summoned must be of an animal that the Life Evocationist can summon through Terrestrial Conjuration. 

Beastmelding Redlines

• All general Jing redlines.

• Beastmelding may not be used as a perfect disguise kit to make oneself look like a specific person. Any alterations instead appear similar to baseline mundane species of whatever is being mimicked.

• Jing used for Beastmelding coalesce the body’s mana within the sections of the body being altered over, which is disruptive enough a shift in the natural mana flow of the body that standard spellcasting is not possible throughout the duration.

Amended Version

Spoiler

Beastmelding Mechanics

• Beastmelding doesn’t replace any existing features, instead being conjured over the area being modified. As a result, the physical prowess of the mage in question is what dictates the impact and capability of Beastmelding. Similarly, as it is conjured over their body, shallow and surface level damage may be absorbed wholly by the conjured flesh, though deep cuts and blunt force trauma would still get through to the mundane flesh of the mage beneath.

• An extension to this, Jing cannot create additional limbs, as it cannot conjure over limbs that do not exist.

• Jing meant for Beastmelding must be worn over exposed flesh, and cannot be used with armour overtop. Sufficiently open or loose clothing (robes, a gi, pajamas, a t-shirt) would not hinder the usage of Beastmelding. Armour may still be worn (if possible), just not over limbs intended to be transformed.

• Anything the Jing user knows how to summon is eligible to be beastmelded onto their body. However, in order to actually use the summoned, the limb it’s summoned over must have the same general shape. For instance, the hand, the most flexible portion of the body, may be used as a bear paw (flat hand), a goat hoof (balled fist), or a canine’s head (shadow puppet). So long as the same general shape may be made, it’s a valid (though not necessarily useful or good) option. 

• Beastmelding requires two emotes to begin activation of up to two jing. This is the same if you activate one or two. For each additional Jing being used after that, one extra emote is required. Up to four jing may be activated at once through this method, totalling five emotes. After the first two have been activated there can be a delay in-between emotes, to do peform action or cast another spell.

• Multiple instances of Beastmelding must affect different body groups. Each body group may be a unique alteration.

• Beastmelding does not require direct concentration to maintain, and so may be used in direct combat. However, being significantly wounded, knocked unconscious, deprived of mana, or having the limb currently undergoing Beastmelding be amputated all end the effect.

• Beastmelding does not connect the conjured flesh to the Life Evocationist’s, and is instead closer to an extremely tight form-fitting glove. As a result, any conjured eyes or ears do not convey any information back to the caster. They can, however, feel dullened versions of touch and pain through the conjured skin, due to how form-fitting and tight the conjuration is.

• In a similar vein, one must be careful when choosing what it is that they conjure over themselves. With regards to the head, anything which covers the eyes would blind the user, anything over the ears would deafen, and anything over the mouth and nose would suffocate. With regards to joints in general, anything sufficiently stiff conjured over the limbs would prevent proper articulation.

• Similarly to Chimeric Alteration, one must keep in mind that possession of specific bodily traits does not inherently confer the ability to effectively use them. For example, summoning a webbed membrane between the arm and torso does not allow one to fly as a bat would.

• Outside of combat, one may maintain any number of Beastmeldings (to the normal maximum of four) for up to one hour. Inside of combat, the unusual (for a mage) added strain of direct physical combat lowers this time to a mere fifteen emotes.

• The animal limbs summoned must be of an animal that the Life Evocationist can summon through Terrestrial Conjuration. 

Beastmelding Redlines

• Beastmelding may not be used as a perfect disguise kit to make oneself look like a specific person. Any alterations instead appear similar to baseline mundane species of whatever is being mimicked.

Subsection II: Reconstruction

Original

Spoiler

Reconstruction Mechanics

• Creating a Jing meant for reconstruction requires a ritual taking four emotes in which a Jing is crafted and bound to a specific individual. This Jing successfully heals an area conforming to the bodily region list used by other bodily affecting Jing, listed for posterity below. There is a level of flexibility; A cut from collarbone down the right arm could be handled by a Jing just for the right arm, for instance.

• Left Leg, Right Leg, Torso, Left Arm, Right Arm, Head.

• A secondary result of being created ‘In-the-moment’, Jing meant for Reconstruction may be manufactured for individuals other than the creator, including non-mages. All other redlines and mechanics, including occupying enchantment slots and inability to cast other forms of magic still apply.

• Wounds are functionally healed by Reconstruction, though the process generates notable fatigue, and a dull phantom pain remains in areas of reconstructed flesh until the healing process is fully complete. This process takes a total of three IRL days, and if the Jing are destroyed or removed before this process is complete the wounds will re-open as they were. After this time period, the Jing are rendered defunct, and may be removed without harm.

• Unlike other Jing spellcasting, Jing meant to be used for Reconstruction rituals may not be made in advance, and are instead made to fit the situation and injury they are meant to overwrite. As a result, they may not be manufactured or utilized mid-combat, and must instead be created in the aftermath if one desires to create them at all. 

• Reconstruction may only be used to ‘heal’ wounds (‘Wound’ referring to cuts, stabs, slices, and fileting. As a general rule of thumb, any injury resulting from a sharp or pointed end), and any other form of injury (including blood loss that may have resulted from the wound itself) may not be repaired by the process.

• The skin of flesh generated through Reconstruction is noticeably different from the rest of the body, whether that be due to discolouration or scarring. This cosmetic malformation is permanent, and one who frequently abuses the process may one day find themselves resembling a patchwork quilt. 

Reconstruction Redlines

• If a Life Evocationists creates a Jing meant for Restoration for anyone other than themselves, they hold no ability to alter or control the Jing after the ritual for creation is completed. They may still remove or destroy the Jing through mundane means, as usual.

• Reconstruction may not be used to repair significantly grievous or fatal wounds, nor does it restore function to otherwise dead life.

• If the Jing maintaining the Reconstruction is removed, destroyed, or otherwise dispelled, all wounds closed by reconstruction are immediately re-opened. However, there are no other side effects or increase of scale in the damage, and one may even wish to willingly remove the Jing in a controlled environment in order to pursue other avenues of healing.

• While the Reconstruction is in progress, the Jing centralize mana in the body over the wounded sections of flesh. Combined with the energy required to maintain the conjured flesh, one would have so little free mana in their body to be incapable of spellcasting.

Amended Version

Spoiler

Reconstruction Mechanics

• Creating a Jing meant for reconstruction requires a ritual taking four emotes in which a Jing is crafted and bound to a specific individual. This Jing successfully heals an area conforming to the bodily region list used by other bodily affecting Jing, listed for posterity below. There is a level of flexibility; A cut from collarbone down the right arm could be handled by a Jing just for the right arm, for instance.

• Left Leg, Right Leg, Torso, Left Arm, Right Arm, Head.

• A secondary result of being created ‘In-the-moment’, Jing meant for Reconstruction may be manufactured for individuals other than the creator, including non-mages. All other redlines and mechanics, including occupying enchantment slots and inability to cast other forms of magic still apply.

• Wounds are functionally healed by Reconstruction, though the process generates notable fatigue, and a dull phantom pain remains in areas of reconstructed flesh until the healing process is fully complete. This process takes a total of three IRL days, and if the Jing are destroyed or removed before this process is complete the wounds will re-open as they were. After this time period, the Jing are rendered defunct, and may be removed without harm.

• Unlike other Jing spellcasting, Jing meant to be used for Reconstruction rituals may not be made in advance, and are instead made to fit the situation and injury they are meant to overwrite. As a result, they may not be manufactured or utilized mid-combat, and must instead be created in the aftermath if one desires to create them at all. 

• Reconstruction may only be used to ‘heal’ wounds (‘Wound’ referring to cuts, stabs, slices, and fileting. As a general rule of thumb, any injury resulting from a sharp or pointed end), and any other form of injury (including blood loss that may have resulted from the wound itself) may not be repaired by the process.

• The skin of flesh generated through Reconstruction is noticeably different from the rest of the body, whether that be due to discolouration or scarring. This cosmetic malformation is permanent, and one who frequently abuses the process may one day find themselves resembling a patchwork quilt. 

Reconstruction Redlines

• Rrequires signature of the conjurationist player.

• If a Life Evocationists creates a Jing meant for Restoration for anyone other than themselves, they hold no ability to alter or control the Jing after the ritual for creation is completed. They may still remove or destroy the Jing through mundane means, as usual.

• Reconstruction may not be used to repair significantly grievous or fatal wounds, nor does it restore function to otherwise dead life.

• If the Jing maintaining the Reconstruction is removed, destroyed, or otherwise dispelled, all wounds closed by reconstruction are immediately re-opened. However, there are no other side effects or increase of scale in the damage, and one may even wish to willingly remove the Jing in a controlled environment in order to pursue other avenues of healing.

• While the Reconstruction is in progress, the Jing centralize mana in the body over the wounded sections of flesh. Combined with the energy required to maintain the conjured flesh, one would have so little free mana in their body to be incapable of spellcasting.

Changes

- Beastmelding requires 2 emotes to activate the first 2 jing, then 1 emote after that.

- Reduced requirement for Reconstruction from ST signature to player Signature.

Purpose

As it stands spending the 6 emotes required to activate this is useless, because it basically acts to handicap mages by preventing from casting. This change basically turns beastmelding into an aesthetic form of armor, instead of mages just wearing gambeson. Decreasing the emote count by 1 also makes it so it might be feasible for a few limbs to be coated. Also made it so Reconstruction requires ST signature rather than ST, as it was something the original writer was intending on. It also takes some strain of ST system, and makes it so somebody does not have to wait to get their healing done.

The st signature parts should hopefully already be in the pipeline to change but otherwise looks fine until we do an actual rewrite I guess.

hey, conj guy here.

reconstruction requiring player signature was something i was already planning on adding, i'm just a very slow writer. +1 from me.

regarding beastmelding emote counts, this is largely a side effect of my personal abstention of one emote spells. i don't know how, but somebody's going to powergame or smth with one emote crab claws, and it's going to come back to me, as conj things always tend to do. on a more objective level, it's substantially more powerful than any other existing one emote spell (at least, in the void sector, dark magic probably has some crazy one emote drops). however, i don't necessarily disagree that it takes too long to cast, either. my proposed edit would be something along the lines of "if using one or two beastmelding jing, two emotes is required. for each additional beastmelding jing used, one additional emote is required". something like that but written less weird because i'm just train of thoughting this.

regarding casting while jing being used, i have no strong opinions on this. it's sorta a holdover from a different era, when voidal weakness was per magic and not just for having void magic at all and it was meant as a replacement for weapons rather than a replacement for armour, a simpler time before scions and such. this one's probably fine.

overall i'm good with this, just hesitant with dropping the floor to one emote for beastmelding.

12 hours ago, LoTC's Next Top Model said:

hey, conj guy here.

reconstruction requiring player signature was something i was already planning on adding, i'm just a very slow writer. +1 from me.

regarding beastmelding emote counts, this is largely a side effect of my personal abstention of one emote spells. i don't know how, but somebody's going to powergame or smth with one emote crab claws, and it's going to come back to me, as conj things always tend to do. on a more objective level, it's substantially more powerful than any other existing one emote spell (at least, in the void sector, dark magic probably has some crazy one emote drops). however, i don't necessarily disagree that it takes too long to cast, either. my proposed edit would be something along the lines of "if using one or two beastmelding jing, two emotes is required. for each additional beastmelding jing used, one additional emote is required". something like that but written less weird because i'm just train of thoughting this.

regarding casting while jing being used, i have no strong opinions on this. it's sorta a holdover from a different era, when voidal weakness was per magic and not just for having void magic at all and it was meant as a replacement for weapons rather than a replacement for armour, a simpler time before scions and such. this one's probably fine.

overall i'm good with this, just hesitant with dropping the floor to one emote for beastmelding.

Thanks for the straight forward answer! All very reasonable criticisms. I like your idea for changing the emote count up, I was a little iffy on it being 1 emote right off the bat as well. In fact Ill will change it to that right now.

Amendments/Additions implemented into main lore post. Thank you for your submission. Moving to correct subforum to prevent redundancy and clutter.