[PK] About My Death

Vic

l_-m-ElTF_VxURkm1LQFVks7sC8O84oECWsZnN0WrNQJBW0nBdHtSV6loHI2obMzKUe14W8G6MAh9o0QooQVNmGUy9MOZPWFdyAqBybi4h7HnZCtZVd4zsGg0YWJ9gZlqeJur23Y2T1Q8UzZJKtkv_DDcrfG_HhIcyCWlS5tbDavvC0uuMT4cBElkNXl8A

About My Death

Spoiler

I don’t want to see it coming

like late summer roses waiting to bloom

or a highway I remember in Spain,

a giant black cutout bull

as a hilltop billboard.

Instead let me be half asleep,

the Never and Forever twins,

one in a brown dress, one in blue,

steeped in the shadows of my room,

the air replacing my breath

with flow and husk, and then the sound.

Let me leave each twin a gift:

a milky quartz on the night table,

my worn gold wedding ring.

-About My Death by Jennifer Barber

---

Juliya Barclay had much time to ponder her own death leading up to it. She was never truly religious, despite her son’s position as a bishop. In the end, death came to her in a time of peace as if he was an old friend. Perhaps an old friend he was.

Before her death, Juliya sought out her youngest child, Viktor Erwin. He was the one she had spent the most time with, aside from Marcella. He was to be wed within two months, but she was well aware she did not have that time. The private ceremony was a quick affair of little grandeur, but there was always something missing: William Barclay.

The day Juliya met William was unlike any other. She was bored, he was there. It could have stayed as one conversation, but she returned day after day to that spot in the tavern to seek him out. They had fun, they laughed, and then they were wed. When the sixth child was born, William returned to his true home: the sea. He returned to take their eldest child, Marcella, on voyages.

In the end, Juliya saw her youngest be wed, but she never saw her love again. But she did die happy, surrounded by family. What more could a mother ask for?

---

TfbKSgfxJaMOq1XFdh0Vz9hMbnNcPfwPAgxRnmcmnzLO-enIlAwKqZMhI8C0K71IxWKQ9L03ZWsIFx7KFukz_pUv0Xv6xQYtsP52Q63jXApKyNyy-DhKOrEs7Id3SOEvETSvLXaDjjnsuXRsG9fN2JwDCx5P0xLww64ANeId5tlRp9FxJMuhOzFQY1lGew

Letters to some of the children of Juliya & William Barclay

Marcella:

Spoiler

My darling daughter,
My shop is yours now, as are all of my things for you to divide amongst yourself and your siblings as you see fit. Tell your father I love him, I always will. I also love you, so much. Take care of your siblings for me.

Love,

Mutter

Wilhelm:

Spoiler

Wilhelm,

I want you to know that I am proud of you. Karl has kept me informed of your doings throughout my illness. I wish I could have seen you one last time, my boy. Continue to do your knight’s work for Minitz, and I wish you luck with your new lady.

Love,

Mutter

Viktor:

Spoiler

Liebling,

I wish I could have seen your wedding to Alexandra properly, but we both knew it was not to be. I hope that when we finally meet again, it will not be for a very long time. I hope that you are able to tell your own children good things about me someday.

Love,

Mutter

Alexandra:

Spoiler

Alex,

I know I didn’t know you well, but you are soon to be my daughter-in-law. I was close friends with your father, as you know, and I missed him greatly in the past few years. I see so much of him in you, and I wish I could have had more time. You will make a fine Barclay, my dear.

Juliya

H2CRY_ErCretlol7YPl52-vJiiXcKJqhd-91YNE4rzyeCvIm8eD1uh6_F5m0Gx-bNP_L46veng5ZP35vE682zk5gFqTU2gensavOlIrOpvB0YkbE4Ki0F4ZQ4HLkCssMVUZtYHo-xB_D2KDYDA3AInFkRaWxV_G8vUzX18h8IB4wjq-Y1CaFMqQtpouNVw

Juliya Charlotte Barclay

1852-1899

Viktoriya Barclay sat in a blank daze, watching the Reinmarian Rose fields from a distance. “Spastiba, old friend.” She murmured again. 
Her last childhood friend gone, died in her care. An unrecoverable loss.

Many children feared the death of their loved ones, especially those that always were there for them since the day they first opened their eyes. Viktor has heard the woes, the tale old as time where Death always lingered, how that there is beauty behind it always.

But the young Barclay knew, it was so much easier to sing rather than actually live through it.

He sat at the edge of his bed, staring solemnly at the wall across from him. His fingers fiddling with one another as he remains lost in his mind, gathering all the good memories he could recall of his dear mother. Yet, his lips would always fall into a deeper frown, each happy memory felt more like a stab in his heart than a warm hug. That's the way a recent death goes, isn't it?

Every second Viktor closed his eyes, he saw his mother standing with him and his siblings within the Reinmarian rose fields. The love in her eyes as she watched them all play with one another. How quick Viktor was to tend to a rabbit, chasing after it as it scurried through the bushes. How faint her laughter seemed now. The sun that smiled warmly down at the family, now distant and cold behind the grey clouds that always loomed through the sky.

Every child, young or old, in sorrow would always ask the question to themselves: why. Why did everything they love have to go? What will they do when someone or something they cherish disappears?

Viktor Erwin Barclay is no different.

Then a small, sharp drop stings his hands. Snapping Viktor out of his thoughts.

"Ah." Viktor sniffs, rubbing the palm of his hands against his running tears. "Tears." He'd utter out weakly, forcing a tight smile. "Get it together, cheese boy." Viktor whispers to himself, scanning around his bedroom to make sure no one was in sight. Though more tears seem to rush down his cheeks, his own heart aching more as he realized how starting right now...

His mother will not be here.

Finally, Viktor lays back into his bed, sobbing to himself as he mourns.