1 gorjillion post AMA

Xarkly

1 hour ago, excited said:

What is your favorite RP you’ve had?

Probably when I PK'd my King of Haense. Seems a bit weird to say that for ending a character, but the RP itself was just really nice and moving. I more or less spent the whole day RPing goodbyes with people as the character was on his deathbed, and it was a really touching culmination of everything he'd done in his life and the friends I'd RPed with. To see it all come full circle and to end the story in a way that was meaningful to create a finished, cohesive story for a character was genuinely just such a fun and rewarding experience that I don't think any individual RP moment could top it.

Whole point of any writing is to make you feel things, and it was one of the few occasions where I've gotten teary in my time.

1 hour ago, excited said:

Do you have a favorite video game? 

Probably the Banner Saga trilogy.

It's one I've come back to over the years that's just ticked every box for me -- it's got a great world/setting, meaningful dialogue choices, fleshed out characters with intriguing storylines and development, engaging combat, awesome art and music, and a fascinating overall-plot. I wouldn't say the game is S-tier in any of those categories, but it's one of the few - if not the only - game I've played that hits an A tier in all those categories so consistently.

1 hour ago, DERFEYISM said:

Big fan of your recent narrative posts. Where do you find your inspiration?

Thanks man appreciate you saying so.

I like to think I'm not overly influenced by anything, but I do have a couple of different pieces of media that definitely inspire me on certain narrative aspects, for example:

- Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books are probably the main inspiration and one of the main things I read growing up (which quite literally lasted for my teenage life, since the book series is 14 volumes). It's undoubtedly been the foundation for my writing style and I don't think I could change that even if I wanted to.

- Attack on Titan really inspired me, but probably not in the way it does for most people; rather, I came to really love the depth of strategy that went into a lot of AoT. I know it's probably not what everyone looks for in entertainment, but the way AoT drew attention to the various strategies at play in battle and what the characters needed to achieve always added a lot of realistic weigh and excitement to the series for me. I think the best example of this is the showdown in Season 3 Part 2 where there's a lot of different tactics and plans at play, which just totally engrossed me at the time and made the character's choices and actions feel a lot more grounded. Actions making sense is really important to me, and so I just enjoyed that aspect of the series a lot. As a result, I've always tried to include that depth in my writing so that there was sense and logic in the narratives and not railroading circumstances for the plot.

- Vinland Saga has some absolutely fantastic character interactions, and it represents one of the best ways an author has managed to communicate core philosophical ideas and themes without it seeming out of place or boring.

32 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

Should I bring back 2014 style halfling burrows?

think I'm gonna need to see a pic

Sipping on some tea and getting ready to head out and help my grandpa. But seeing as I was mentioned I thought I would throw my lot in for once in one of these AMA's.

Curious to hear what you think was your favourite moment on the server between us two? (Too many years spent so always a cute one)

Outside of the cooperative aspects of the server and lessons on how to communicate with a diverse cast of people, what do you feel is your greatest life lesson learned here?

While the past is the past and some people are lost along the way I do ever so often think back to people I loved spending time with that are no longer on the server, or with us period. Who do you miss the most that you no longer see around? A honorable mention of a cool moment would always be welcome.

Also, I can't believe they covered up the Cactus Raid of 2016. . .  what could have been!

(And for all that is holy stop calling me old.)

Sincerely,

Your Best Friend, Julius Aakerlund

If reincarnation was real or if you believe in that and you could choose what you got reincarnated as... What would you pick?

Also, favourite or most memorable roleplay moment between us?

Hey conor so im calling on behalf of the human resources of minitz and lately we've been having a lot of elves here (my settlement is supposed to be low fantasy dude!!! KCD larp dude!) If you were in my shoes how do you get rid of the stinky elves? Thank you for the advice mr conor

wtf I was also planning an AMA for my 1000th post now I gotta think of something different

Were there ever any big "inflection points" during your time on here? Moments that you can look back to and say "if I had does this differently, then things would be way different from how they are now"

3 hours ago, JuliusAakerlund said:

Curious to hear what you think was your favourite moment on the server between us two? (Too many years spent so always a cute one)

Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooh that's a toughie. I think that moment where we did one of the first Scyfling events on Athera, when they pretty much appeared for the first time and how we worked together to make the experience, without knowing what it would become down the line, is really cute to look back on. As for RP itself, I think that last interaction between Sigismund and Adrian was quite cool. Though in isolation it mightn't have seemed like a great deal, I think there was a lot of weight to that interaction about the "answer" and "understanding" (if you remember what we were talking about ;) ) from both me and you as people who have seen and been through a lot on this server and with the Haense community specifically that transcended the characters themselves.

The Cactus Green drug bust also deserves an honourable mention ..........

Outside of the cooperative aspects of the server and lessons on how to communicate with a diverse cast of people, what do you feel is your greatest life lesson learned here?

Hmm. I'd probably say being part of people's lives and vice versa. Like I said when answering an early question, it's genuinely astonishing to me how some people have been able to make amazing friendships that will last long beyond the time they spend on this server. I think a lot of the world, especially our parent's generation, wouldn't understand that whatsoever and even people on this server think there should be a genuine line between your real-world relations and your online ones. Of course, you always need to be careful and exercise caution, but even doing so, I think it's indisputable the connections you forge on this platform are real and meaningful, and you shouldn't relegate them to some kind of secondary tier of friendship. Human connections is what makes life worth living for most people, and I've made some really special ones here.

While the past is the past and some people are lost along the way I do ever so often think back to people I loved spending time with that are no longer on the server, or with us period. Who do you miss the most that you no longer see around? A honorable mention of a cool moment would always be welcome.

This is a difficult one because at certain points it becomes hard to distinguish between the rose-tinted lens of nostalgia and genuine loss.

I definitely loved the sense of wonder and adventure that I experienced as a lil 15-16 y/o Conor wandering the earlier maps like Athera and Axios and finding all sorts of builds and places, and hearing about all sorts of heroic lords and characters that felt like they actually were from some fantasy epic. That sort of things loses it shine over time, as all things do. When you don't know everything in the world, the world seems so much more mysterious and exciting.

As for something or someone I genuinely miss .... You know what it's like yourself to have stuck around here for a long time and seen people come and go (and then usually come and go again for a second or third time), but overall from my 6ish years actively playing, one person I used to have a lot of fun with was NJBB, both in Haense and other stuff. One of my funner times on the server was when he set me up with a Dreadknight character and we used to raid Sutica in Axios, and use it's really long bridge as a bottle-neck. 

Also, I can't believe they covered up the Cactus Raid of 2016. . .  what could have been!

Did we ever find that post again?

2 hours ago, MissToni said:

If reincarnation was real or if you believe in that and you could choose what you got reincarnated as... What would you pick?

A galapagos turtle.

Obviously.

2 hours ago, MissToni said:

Also, favourite or most memorable roleplay moment between us?

Probably that one arc where Aleksandr helped Katerina escape Haense from Heinrik. It was a pretty big moment in terms of my character's development and his hatred towards Heinrik, and his whole sort of vibe of trying to be this white knight who couldn't really get anything to go his way and didn't have the courage to do anything really drastic, so to him it felt like he was finally making a difference by helping Katerina escape, but that feeling of futility grew worse for him when Katerina ended up returning to Haense, which made for some cool evolution of the character.

2 hours ago, argonian said:

what I wanna know is

have you ever seen the rain

comin' down on a sunny day?

1 hour ago, GoodGuyMatt said:

Hey conor so im calling on behalf of the human resources of minitz and lately we've been having a lot of elves here (my settlement is supposed to be low fantasy dude!!! KCD larp dude!) If you were in my shoes how do you get rid of the stinky elves? Thank you for the advice mr conor

#ShearThoseEars is trending again.

1 hour ago, Nectorist said:

wtf I was also planning an AMA for my 1000th post now I gotta think of something different

Were there ever any big "inflection points" during your time on here? Moments that you can look back to and say "if I had does this differently, then things would be way different from how they are now"

:J

I suppose in the context of nation leading and especially between you and me, I think I'd have to say the Haeseni withdrawal in the 2nd stage of the war. I'm sure you can imagine, but it was genuinely a very difficult decision to make about whether to stay involved in the war at a potentially disastrous cost while getting pretty good deals to back out of it. Without a doubt, I'm sure the server and recent history might look very different if a different decision had been made at the time and Haense had left the war.

18 minutes ago, satinkira said:

opinions on capybaras?

@UnBaedtake the capybara's knee-caps.

Conor, I miss you!

Also, how does a lovely Irishman like yourself go to college and run a Minecraft nation all at once? For the life of me, I can’t even find time to get online.

10 minutes ago, Totalitarianism_ said:

Conor, I miss you!

Also, how does a lovely Irishman like yourself go to college and run a Minecraft nation all at once? For the life of me, I can’t even find time to get online.

Hope you're keeping well fella <3

I was pretty lucky in how NL timed up with real-life -- in 2021-2022, I was doing my Masters degree in Law, and if you know much about Law studies, it's that it's extremely low-contact hours (in other words, less classes than a lot of other fields, with you being expected to fill the other time with research and reading). For most of the 2021-2022 academic year, I only had maybe six-ten hours of classes per week, so it left me with tonnes of time to focus on NL too. I prefer to study/work in bursts rather than steadily throughout the year (which is not the ideal way to do it), so when exams/essays came around, I just took a small break from the Craft to sink heavy hours into getting my exams done.

If I had been in a different course of study or working like I am now, it definitely wouldn't have been possible, so I'm grateful the stars aligned.

If one comes to mind, what's one character you were offered that you declined or didn't put much time into that you regret not accepting or giving more time looking back?

Will you ever stop calling me mutie?

It hurts my extremely masculine side. As a pvper with a big ego it feels condescending.

A lot of people wouldn't put in the love and time into this server that you do, if they were paid $1k for it. It's just not the kind of passion that can come from hamfisted self-indulgence. Correct me if I misunderstood, but you're saying the reason for your motivation is ultimately rooted in meaningful connections you share in the community—especially the kind where you and your friends can nerd over initiatives/concepts and get excited together over doing something worthwhile (else why would you still be here).

What in your mind should we be doing to encourage organic friendship and bonding on this server? Or at least, what can we move out of the way?

By the way…I wanted to add I loved your triad of map related thoughts (map concept, region post, and discussion on map storylines), thanks for leaving nuggets like those around.