1000th post ama

Nectorist

i thought of this really good one:

Were there ever any big "inflection points" during your time on here? Moments that you can look back to and say "if I had does this differently, then things would be way different from how they are now"

4 hours ago, Asutto said:

favorite build from the last few maps?

also favorite jnc moment

Helena is probably the most iconic from the last 3 maps, but in terms of overall quality I really enjoyed Aegrothond in Arcas. Had some good memories there too

JNC is my all-time favorite chat but one of my favorite moments is when we gave kosher advice abt his hinge date a few months ago. was true brotherly unity

4 hours ago, LithiumSedai said:

Do you think the ultimate conclusion of your reign would have been different had there been no schism/war and had Savoy's accession to the Empire been completed, considering most Savoyards ended up migrating to post-war Oren anyway and that the civil war would have been set up in both scenarios?

Was there ever an Orenian bounty on Ulrich's head? How fat is Adolphus actually?

What are your thoughts on the Sutican War? What are your thoughts on Carolustadt?

My reign as a whole would've been far different if either the schism or the war (especially both) hadnt happened. I definitely think the schism can be a bit overblown, especially as the effects were sorta mitigated after the second excommunication, but without the first the situation still would've been far difficult. i think there would've been a war at some point- i was and still am of the belief that the server NEEDED a war- but i probably wouldve stabilized Oren more than I had at that point (i instead had to do it mid-war) and a post-war scenario probably wouldve seen a clearer line of succession. in truth, my original plan was to have an elected empire because i think it makes for based rp, but we never really got to that given the extenuating circumstances

Ulrich had no bounty afaik but a few minae wouldve been floated towards his would-be captor. Adolphus is also pretty fat. not obese but definitely a jolly sort of fat. like santa claus

the Sutican War was an interesting period. I actually fought alongside Sutica for it because that's where my friends happened to be, but I had no major bad feelings towards Oren. I do think it would've ended in a coalition victory had the servers worked, but I also think that scenario would've devolved into civil war because there were competing visions as to who would theoretically get the throne if alty was deposed (you, me, mickael, seannie, beamon, bubby, etc). As for Carolustadt, it wasn't a bad city per se and a lot happened, but I think it's dwarfed by Jburg and Helena coming before and after it, both of which are just very iconic cities and RP hubs. Cstadt wasn't bad- I had plenty of fun there- but it was far from amazing

2 hours ago, SortedJarhead said:

i hate u 

why?

because i wouldve fought for pancho villa

1 hour ago, AgentofDeath13 said:

Brother I hope you enjoyed your time away. Now that you’re back is there anything you still wanna do that’s been a long-standing goal of yours? Or will you be spending your time with friends and catching up?

I kind of think that once you become emperor your noob dreams have pretty much been fulfilled. I would like to do some church RP within the humans, and get more into the magic scene elsewhere, but neither of those would come at the expense of just having fun with my friends. I definitely lean towards the latter, but there are some small things I just havent had the time to do that I'd like to try out

1 hour ago, Neviah said:

uhh what’s your favorite ice cream, person I do not know?

strawberry ice cream, but with the actual strawberries in it and everything

26 minutes ago, Xarkly said:

i thought of this really good one:

Were there ever any big "inflection points" during your time on here? Moments that you can look back to and say "if I had does this differently, then things would be way different from how they are now"

cant believe it just popped into your head...

I do think there are a thousand moments of that during my reign. what if I hadn't attempted my schism? what if I hadn't continued the war with the dwarves? what if I hadn't pressed on after Eastfleet? the list goes on

however, I think there are a couple of moments that really changed my time on LoTC as a whole:

1. picking Haense as my first nation to join. I remember that of all the places I went, I chose Haense and found myself serving as a peasant under FloopTroop's Vyronov, and later under the Vanirs with my friends. I was still a diehard Imperial, but it was in the context of being in Haense, which I continued to play in pretty much up until 2019-ish. I loved old Haense, and still have a soft spot for it today. I do wonder what would've been different if I started in, say, Lorraine, or the heartlands, or the elves, or the dwarves, etc

2. accepting being the heir to Fenn. I was actually the NL for Fenn for a time, which was a fever dream, but it came at the cost of me departing from Oren/humanity for a short bit. It's no secret that I was a close friend of Icarnus around this time (fall of 2019) and he had actually offered me to play his second son (the brother of Joseph II, who bungo would eventually play). i think had I accepted it then my "snelf/reiver" reputation that haunted me during my early days in Alty's Oren wouldnt have been as prominent

3. this one is the most obvious, but couping KP is probably the biggest moment of mine on the server. It's still something that, almost a year later, I can't really believe I did during the rush of finals week. I grapple with it even to this day- whether it was worth it, whether it was the right decision, what I could've done differently, etc. I've talked about it to death with people, and I'm still willing to talk about it with people who have questions, but the reputation and my on-server persona I have today wouldn't be nearly the same had I just stayed away, or returned on a different character, or never have left to begin with. I won't say I regret the decision, but I did hurt and screw over various people who I had a positive relationship with, such as @MunaZaldrizoti, @ErikAzog, @UnBaed, and @VIROS, among others. it's tough to reconcile being seen as some weird hero, both oocly and irply, to some while also being a total enemy and snake to others, especially because I personally liked both groups. it's something that I think will stay with me for a while and is probably my biggest "what if"

1 hour ago, Nectorist said:

3. this one is the most obvious, but couping KP is probably the biggest moment of mine on the server. It's still something that, almost a year later, I can't really believe I did during the rush of finals week. I grapple with it even to this day- whether it was worth it, whether it was the right decision, what I could've done differently, etc. I've talked about it to death with people, and I'm still willing to talk about it with people who have questions, but the reputation and my on-server persona I have today wouldn't be nearly the same had I just stayed away, or returned on a different character, or never have left to begin with. I won't say I regret the decision, but I did hurt and screw over various people who I had a positive relationship with, such as @MunaZaldrizoti, @ErikAzog, @UnBaed, and @VIROS, among others. it's tough to reconcile being seen as some weird hero, both oocly and irply, to some while also being a total enemy and snake to others, especially because I personally liked both groups. it's something that I think will stay with me for a while and is probably my biggest "what if"

I hope you know I don't resent you for all that stuff that happened.  Yeah, it was a really sucky time for me and I felt betrayed with how stuff in Dobrov was being handled - but it was just a messy and stressful situation for everyone involved.  In the end, I felt like I managed to make a cool enough narrative with having the castle teleported away in RP

Always a W to give KP the boot, though.  I will never get over him asking Molia (HIS STEP GRANDDAUGHTER, 60 YEARS YOUNGER THAN HIM AT LEAST) to marry him

ANYWAYS question: what are your thoughts on conor :DDD

5 hours ago, Nectorist said:

in truth, my original plan was to have an elected empire because i think it makes for based rp, but we never really got to that given the extenuating circumstances

mad cause I wanted all the siblings to equally fight for the throne trying to get the peoples support >:(

4 hours ago, UnBaed said:

I hope you know I don't resent you for all that stuff that happened.  Yeah, it was a really sucky time for me and I felt betrayed with how stuff in Dobrov was being handled - but it was just a messy and stressful situation for everyone involved.  In the end, I felt like I managed to make a cool enough narrative with having the castle teleported away in RP

Always a W to give KP the boot, though.  I will never get over him asking Molia (HIS STEP GRANDDAUGHTER, 60 YEARS YOUNGER THAN HIM AT LEAST) to marry him

ANYWAYS question: what are your thoughts on conor :DDD

that’s good to hear. Would like to get in touch again you were fun to meme with. but yeah, KP trying to marry his granddaughter is still something I almost don’t believe even though I’ve seen the logs at this point.

as for Conor, he’s someone that I do respect a lot, both as a creative mind on here and as a former NL. For the former, he has been someone I’ve taken note of since I first returned at about 2018-ish(?) as a really good writer, storyteller, event-creator, etc. it’s no secret he’s one of the best in the game here, and as someone who myself has stuck my hand in all of those things, Conor is definitely a person that I’ve looked up to as a source of inspiration and a model of an ideal creator on here. I won’t go on about it, but as I said somewhere earlier, I think that the most respectable attribute of anyone on here is the ability to make a narrative that captures the imagination and attention of other players, and for him to do that both as an ET and a normal player is seriously commendable and something you don’t see often on here

as for his time as an NL, I do think he was one of the best kings of Haense. Although I (obviously) didn’t play there during his reign, from my talks with people who did play it was a generally active time with good RP to be found. Haense also became very strong under his reign and he did bring it back from the slump it’d been in during Rudi’s time. For a lot of the time we were both ruling I saw him as a mirror of myself in a few ways- very respected members of the community who had turned around the stagnant RP and general weakness of an unpopular previous NL- but obviously the big difference was him succeeding normally. I think this still holds up, and while we were enemies during the war I respected the tenacity that he showed, even in times when it looked like I could win and just keep the ball rolling at any moment. Haense has a reputation of being the first nation in, first nation out when it comes to big wars, and he definitely reversed that general opinion. It takes a lot to come back from losing a warclaim to win the next one, and Conor was the main force behind that for the Tripartite. kudos to him for his work in Haense and definitely one of the best NLs this map

perhaps most importantly, although he and I don’t know each other extremely well, I’ve heard he’s a good guy and it’s clear he’s well-liked by almost everyone. my own interactions with him, even during the backdrop of minecraft war (spooky) were pretty respectful and positive

thoughts about the war of the wigs? 

4 hours ago, xMuted said:

thoughts about the war of the wigs? 

i always thought the name for it was kind of silly. The wig meme was a very 2020-early 2021 thing and by the time the war had started literally no one wore a wig. I personally prefer Eastfleet War or Sinners War because they describe the conflict a lot better

as for how the war itself went it was definitely unique and interesting to look back on. i can only think of a handful of wars where there was a genuine back and forth, with both sides winning their share of warclaims. usually the first warclaim decides the entire war, but this time around it didnt happen and i think it was pretty iconic for it. i thought it made for a cool narrative and developed an interesting atmosphere after over 2 years of general stagnation, but i didnt like how things shaked out with the war rules. I felt like the wait times in between warclaims was pretty long, with the 6-week wait in between the Haverlock and Eastfleet warclaims totally stunting the momentum and impact of the war. I don't necessarily disagree with a cooldown, but maybe 2 weeks would be preferable

on a personal level it was a very stressful war that i wanted to see over and done with at basically every turn (im sure a lot of people felt the same) but for one reason or another that can was kicked down the road plenty of times. im overall pretty satisfied with how things turned out. sure, Oren lost, but at the end of the war we were a lot stronger than we had starte, hadn't really given up anything too substantial in the peace, and we'd given a pretty good fight. it was a war of attrition and both sides had their bright moments, so I can't complain too much about the outcome

don’t think anyone has asked this but what was your favorite character? 

On 11/22/2022 at 12:02 PM, Nectorist said:

sorry xarkly but it's also my 1000th post so i need to do an ama rn so i can comment on other threads. it's also around my 7th anniversary of being on here so that's epic too

@JoanOfArc0.7%

real????

okay second question. favorite roman emperor of all time (pax romana applies as well as byzantine emperors up until 1205) (gordian i and gordian ii need not apply)

15 hours ago, annanicole__ said:

don’t think anyone has asked this but what was your favorite character? 

For my favorite character that I’ve ever played it’s probably Andren Tosali. Objectively speaking he wasn’t that well-RP’d, and I was just a noob back then running around with my noob friends, but I ended up doing a lot and really making some good core memories that I still think of fondly today. However, if we’re talking about my best-RP’d/written character I think it’s Philip III.

As for my favorite character not played by me, it’s a tough one. @JoanOfArc’s Father Dima comes to mind, but I would say that seeing @Arkon Sigmar I (I think that was his name) was really important to me during some of my early days. Also a big shoutout to @Publiuson Timeo de las Baltas, who I remember RPing around with and really inspiring me as a younger player.

8 hours ago, JoanOfArc said:

real????

okay second question. favorite roman emperor of all time (pax romana applies as well as byzantine emperors up until 1205) (gordian i and gordian ii need not apply)

real.

I think my favorite emperor (not necessarily the best) is Gallienus. It’s always fascinated me that he was able to stay in power for 15 years during the second most tumultuous period in Roman history. He made some key military reforms, defeated a number of usurpers and invading Gauls, and overall provided some stability in the leadership as a million wars were waged around him. He definitely wasn’t as competent as Aurelian, and doesn’t have the same great accomplishments, but he did lay the foundation that would make Aurelian’s reunification of the empire possible. Just a very interesting figure who seems to embody “good, but not great”

If it was an emperor I would want to live under though it’d 100% be Antoninus Pius.

3 hours ago, satinkira said:

opinions on pumpkin pie?

Absolutely love pumpkin pie. It’s my favorite kind and is why I get so excited for Thanksgiving every year. I’m sad that I’m going to have to wait another year though because I’m not back in the States yet

What are you doing this Thanksgiving, if not having Thanksgiving dinner? If you are, what are you eating?

3 hours ago, Elennanore said:

What are you doing this Thanksgiving, if not having Thanksgiving dinner? If you are, what are you eating?

Because I'm in Spain I unfortunately can't really have a proper Thanksgiving dinner. A few friends of mine and I did make a big dinner, though it was mostly Spanish cuisine (still good). Also been watching some of the World Cup games