The Hay Herald Vol 10: Global Economic Collapse! (Thousands in poverty!)

Spoiler

[!] Another one of these halfling tabloid 'newspapers' finds its way into your aviary mailbox once again. You really ought to send a formal complaint.

T'a Hay Herald: Volume 10

Hay_Bale_Axis_Y_JE2_BE2.png&f=1&nofb=1

~Who even reads these?~

Contents:

~GLOBAL ECONOMIC COLLAPSE!~

~The Tippens Tavern Opens!~

~Is that beans & toast I smell?~

~GLOBAL ECONOMIC COLLAPSE~

image.png

~The state of the big-folk economy~

The entire biggun economy has COMPLETELY COLLAPSED! The auctioneering guild & associated gnomish and elven merchants have all gone bankrupt, leaving behind thousands of unemployed mine & factory workers who can no longer use their services to sell goods. Homelessness and poverty have skyrocketed worldwide, and many are at risk of famine in arid regions.

Thankfully, the shire is completely unaffected thanks to the ingenious economic system of "Bernardist Thought" that originated way back in Dunshire, where all halflings contribute what they can and take what they need from the collective. This has kept things running more or less smoothly in Hayhollow, apart from temporary shortages in rare earth metals such as gold and magic-stone.

It will be some time until supply lines are able to recover. While new trade routes for gold and magic-stone are expected to open up with the Dwarves in coming years, our shire is left on its own economically more than ever as even barter is hard to operate when so many potential trade partners languish in poverty.

~The Tippens Root Tavern Opens!~

image.png

~The well stocked shelves of the Hayhollow tavern~

In better news, the Tippens Root Tavern has opened, offering FREE DRINKS on annual Drinking Nights to all of its customers. On normal business days, of course, travelers must barter for their drinks. This tavern will dramatically grow the Hayhollow economy and offer employment for many! I for one am very excited to see this tavern grow with us in these coming years.

~Is that beans & toast I smell?~

2022-12-09_19.10.17.png

~The Gnomish Oven 2000 roars away!~

In a unique display of our ancient halfling culture, a Bake-off was recently held here in Hayhollow-Bywater, with several halflings and big-folks alike in attendance! All contestants' meals were submitted to none other than the Thain King Cyris himself! As the greatest halfling family to have ever existed, of course, the winners of both categories (sweet and savory) were both Applefoots: me and my daughter Rosebud!

This has been the tenth edition of the Hay Herald! Mimosa Applefoot, signing off!

Kor'garr nods in appreciation as ge nurses off a tremendous headache by reading the articles of a cherished companion in news-reporting. He idly sips at a mulled kaktuzblossom cider as small pages are flipped through with bulky grey fingers.

"Yub, diz iz'ag Hozh werk... Kor'garr bettir git'ag zubzkripzhun!" He chuckles at the references to free drinks and cookoffs, having recently enjoyed some feasting of his own before heading to slumber.