[PK] Markus' Resolution

Lickspittle

[https://youtu.be/nn_0zPAfyo8]

Only a fitting end…

[PK] Markus’ Resolution

Bu7OGKsNYxjQr6_Cf9x-Jr58n_9hNd5k70DgccwaKMB3OBO5IPtWKzJL2o_5vLme7pd8FMINezE2LpjqdkqVx9H9hhWo1pCboZVOI2pSG-c-gnVKSk9guefRQeiYybcpEBR0Ig-xAlGeNwqU3OZeMCrPAg8QDABKl0Fj_J9AqCUwIJN0oZ7UwL3uXjJGUA

As if it was any other day, Markus began setting up his tent.

He sat down his pack just off the road, a good distance away from a small hamlet. He was somewhere in the hills between Haense and Aaun. The rocky hills gave way to a small field, and he elected to create his camp there. No cozy tree to sit under- but that was okay for him. He couldn’t have it every day. He opened up his canteen to take a drink. There was barely any alcohol in it- just enough to ensure the drink was clean.

If there ever was a promise he had kept, it was his promise to Koeng Sigismund- his promise to cease his incessant drinking. It was tough- very tough- at first, but eventually, it grew easier.

It became one of his proudest accomplishments.

Abandoning Haense. Abandoning his Marian duties. Abandoning his Morovar kin. Abandoning his responsibilities, duties, and expectations. If there ever was one thing that he abandoned that was good, it was his drink. If there ever was one thing that he abandoned that he wished he hadn’t, well – that story has been told a thousand times.

It did flash in his mind still, often. 

How many years has it been now? Twenty? 

What if I hadn’t accepted the results? What if I didn’t let everyone down? What if-

His doubts constantly plagued him, though he did never again attempt suicide.

It is true. Markus had fled from Karosgrad. From Haense. From responsibilities. The streets he had grown up in, and served, were all too familiar a reminder of his failures. He had begun to recover, to move on- but he spiraled. 

What truly caused him to spiral, even he didn’t know. Whether it was the sudden change in the abstinence from drinking. Whether it was that one time he achieved euphoria at that one festival. Whether it was seeing Adelajda daily.

But he did spiral.

Before he left, he gave up his blade, back to his father’s friend. He walked with a newer one- a weaker one, one not thanhic.  

He was about to use it.

He finished the tent- it was a simple piece of cloth, held together with stakes. It had to be light and small, considering it had to be taken around daily. Night had begun to fall, and he had elected not to make a fire and instead eat from some salted provisions.

So that’s when he noticed the glare from the village in the distance.

“Looks like some idiot kindled their fire too well,” Markus would remark sarcastically with a grumble, before putting on his belt, fastening his sword, and beginning his jaunt over.

He watched it grow bigger and bigger, consuming more buildings.

He then began to hear the screams.

He then began to increase his pace.

He then began to loosen his sword in his scabbard.

He eventually became just about a field’s length away, and saw veiled men throwing about torches. A sacking party.

He rushed forth, drawing his blade.

He met his first opponent behind one of the houses, an unsuspecting bandit with only a torch in his hand.

Markus slew him without remorse, but not without him crying out.

Soon, it was as if they had swarmed upon him- many men threw themselves upon Markus, but they weren’t skilled bandits- they weren’t match for his experience. He cut down the five or so that came upon him, and rushed into the first house.

Inside was a child, cowering in the corner as flames licked the side of the building. Markus gave the child a wave, as if he wanted him to come forth- but the frightened child shook his head in terror, tears consuming his face.

“Move, or these flames will consume us both! Eam niet leaving without vy!” Markus exclaimed, pleading to the child. The pleas worked.

The child fled, leaping over a burning piece of the thatch roofing burning on the dirt floor. Markus grabbed him by the shoulder, and began to lead him out of the house.

Outside, two bandits had waited for him. Markus yanked the child to the side of the house, before engaging the two with his sword. Luckily, his gambeson had absorbed a weak blow to his arm- their ragged clothes no match for his blade. It was clear these weren’t professionals, or Ferrymen.

Markus went back to regard the child.

That’s me. 

Amidst the carnage, he found himself in a touching moment with the child.

“What’s vyr name, boy?”

“Ekhard.”

“Ekhard. Take this. Run that way, to my camp. If eam niet there in a few Saint’s Minutes- pack it up and run. Don’t get help. It’s too late.”

“What will vy do?”

“Niet run.”

And he did not.

He faced many bandits, his training granting him strength.

But his true strength came from not running.

He had always ran.

But not this time.

The damage had already been done. But perhaps he had been able to prevent the slaughter.

But he was unable to prevent his death.

His gambeson had been torn to rags by the time he had finished- the adrenaline running off. Blood streamed out of his body steadily

In his travels, he always had time to ponder. But it was before his death when he had the most time, as he laid comfortably on the ground.

His thoughts returned to his life. All of his loss.

He had lost his best friend. 

His mother. 

His father. 

His twin. 

His future. 

His positions. 

His name. 

His glory. 

His duty. 

His body.

His love.

His mind.

But in the end- he had regained it all.

His pride. His duty. He had served. I will have died with honor.

He was soon to be reunited with all the people he had lost

All except what had mattered to him most, all of those years.

But that didn’t matter anymore, not to him.

In death, he gained absolution.

In death, he let go. He let go of Margrait.

In death he finally achieved victory.

In death he forgave everyone.

In death, he forgave himself.

Spoiler

A huge thanks to@kaylaa@indiana105 for helping me write such a good story for LOTC! Definitely my favorite character, even if it was my least impactful in practice it was definitely the one I was tied the most to and had the most fun with.

To @Mio and @MikoMonster for equally great pieces, guiding Markus all along the way.
To @Blake0205@Coolcod77@Fionn__TWG for all the fun kid shenanigans along the way
To @Dogged and Mio for help writing (and bugging me to MAYBE come back)
To all the Baruchs and Rutherns who had to deal with Markus' bullshit

And to everyone who had a hand in the story!