Kaedreni Dice Poker

Esterlen

79np9Vr-j016Yz0iWSDRV2ndx7h6z6agIwNRJJYndB8q9VkgPTSPGclM6SCHB1q-zHeHD0poAYrOLekH1IoBDeOrGDemr-1uRg-GqTGqkL0P-OmEDYbY244VXBGAOid1IefQsYuDZMFeVpYLr1hx5KT8MTAsmbCS711QGLpKNS8Vux4C-SJm7zhzvrfZ1w

Kaedreni Dice Poker

---

Luis Francesc Jacint-Almeida i Martin

Royal Balianese Academy

13th of Harren's Folly, 1903

Xk_H3fI8-rlfccIp_4hswTaWnqYTYe5fGDyTuhc38OAVqpTxIXi8Hg_y7LhYw2QfIeVKlxzqWTs-k_uX690jhBVrPk2MIgdVrZF7ByBRStTPqFiF4YDFbsH9DnJKpqXU1lhuzqjjzCIABx9IKRrs95vr-sPhi0vKs1bEHdP9KB2SJCXoSY_bHU0YeNhyFA

TABLE OF CONTENTS

I. Introduction

II. Summary

III. Hands

7A7R3WmHAu3pFjzZWoyNzJIxz4r2nLMYFIvLo6MW_baDhj8yiEtqiTjMSUxjZiVnEaiaZXnrYkCyfOFXKl3dFrpik_0_61Le6QVCyzS330JnHZnSJBIsAAm1jH0Fs0wR-QKHDPRRKxfbbdRPSHcs3d2UuEM7aFbYbMiI1iIx8I-6qXwR5lRICL2icIIDkg

I. INTRODUCTION 

Dear reader,

Throughout my travels across the known world, I have, to my veritable shame, frequently become distracted by the sundry activities of many taverns and gambling houses. But there is one such game which has fascinated me like no other - the art of Kaedreni dice poker. 

Like many such games, many of the rules and protocols for playing dice poker are spread by oral tradition, having been amended and evolved depending on the speaker or the context. In the setting of my academic work for the Royal Balianese Academy, I felt it would be constructive to codify these rules and produce a guide for playing the game to those unacquainted with it. 

Yours sincerely,

Almeida

OOC:

Spoiler

I was inspired to write this post after reflecting on my time on the server. Years ago, I used to play this in RP with Zhulik, Fishy, Shady_Tales and other members of the ex-Kaedreni community. After RPing for a bit last night with some other friends, I thought that it was important that it be codified by a formal post, should players like to take the pastime up themselves, which I highly recommend. It’s a bit more complex than just rolling and seeing who wins the highest value. 

Obviously, this is basically a rule-for-rule copy of dice poker from the Witcher games, so I have to credit the Witcher wiki for a lot of this post. However, the /roll mechanic on LotC provides the tools with which to play it. Players definitely need to use Discord heavily as well, for the recording of rolls and re-rolls through screenshots and so as to ensure that these aspects don’t get lost in the fast-moving LotC #rp chat. I highly recommend that this not be played in a busy place as it will get increasingly hard to keep track of. In addition, characters should ideally ‘announce’ IC their re-rolls, so there is a record in the screenshots. 

7A7R3WmHAu3pFjzZWoyNzJIxz4r2nLMYFIvLo6MW_baDhj8yiEtqiTjMSUxjZiVnEaiaZXnrYkCyfOFXKl3dFrpik_0_61Le6QVCyzS330JnHZnSJBIsAAm1jH0Fs0wR-QKHDPRRKxfbbdRPSHcs3d2UuEM7aFbYbMiI1iIx8I-6qXwR5lRICL2icIIDkg

II. SUMMARY 

History

As its name would suggest, Kaedreni dice poker in its current form was originally a creation of the Kaedreni around the early 1400s, themselves the descendants of a mixture of Aeldinic peoples. Unrefined forms of the dice game are mentioned in literature as being played by a broad swath of the indigenous inhabitants of Aeldin, however, it is fundamentally incontrovertible that it was the Kaedreni of yore who popularized its most widely-accepted set of rules. Since that time, Kaedreni dice poker has been spread around the taverns of the known world by Kaedreni landsknecht-mercenaries (themselves infamously dissolute gamblers), with people of a broad variety of social classes and races enjoying its thrill. Rulers of Kaedrin - such as Adrian the First of the 18th century - played it with their aristocracy, and soldiers played it with one another in their barracks. 

Rules

In Kaedreni dice poker, each player possesses five six-sided dice. The game may be played by two or more players, and while there is theoretically no limit as to how many may participate, a game of more than four may become increasingly cumbersome to administer.

In the case of a match where the stakes are currency, the game begins with the placing of an initial bet (i.e the ‘blind bet’) by the first player. Moving clockwise in a circle, each subsequent player may decide whether to raise, accept or pass. Each player may only raise the blind bet once. Players who pass on the blind bet are out of the game before it begins. For example:

John: I’ll place the initial bet as ten Celian’orese dinars!

Michael: I’ll accept that.

George: I don’t have ten Celian’orese dinars, so I’m out. 

The first player then rolls his five six-sided dice (/roll 6 x 5). For example:

John has rolled a 4 out of 6.

John has rolled a 3 out of 6.

John has rolled a 2 out of 6.

John has rolled a 4 out of 6.

John has rolled a 1 out of 6. 

The second player then rolls his five six-sided dice (/roll 6 x 5). For example:

Michael has rolled a 6 out of 6.

Michael has rolled a 4 out of 6.

Michael has rolled a 1 out of 6.

Michael has rolled a 5 out of 6.

Michael has rolled a 2 out of 6.

This continues until each player has rolled their set of dice, with each roll being stringently recorded.

The game is ultimately won on the basis of the strongest hand. In this example, John has rolled a one pair of fours. Michael has rolled no hand, but the game is not over. For more information on hands in Kaedreni dice poker, see the section at the end of this document. 

At this point, the players are again given the option to raise the bet, accept, or pass (and therefore forfeit the game before the final stage). For example:

John: I’m feeling confident, so I’ll raise the bet to twenty Celian’orese dinars.

Michael: I’ll raise you to twenty-five.

John: I accept.

In this example, the stakes are now twenty-five coins, and so begins the ‘re-roll’.

The first player now decides which, if any, dice he wishes to re-roll. Players may re-roll one, two, three, four or all five of his dice, with any combination he so chooses, with the hopes of getting a better hand. If a player is confident with the hand of his initial roll, he may re-roll none. For example:

John: I am content with my pair of fours, so I will re-roll none of my dice.

The second player then re-rolls his choice of dice. As with everything in this game, what dice he chooses to re-roll are stringently recorded. For example: 

Michael: I will re-roll only a single die - my six.

Michael has rolled a 3 out of 6. 

This continues until each player has re-rolled their selected dice, if any. 

As John elected not to re-roll, his final hand is: 4, 3, 2, 4, 1 - a one pair of fours

As Michael re-rolled his six, this dice becomes replaced with a three. 

Michael’s final hand is: 3, 4, 1, 5, 2 - a five-high straight.

As Kaedreni dice poker is won by the strongest hand following the re-roll, and a five-high straight is stronger than a one pair, Michael has won this game despite possessing no hand on the original roll. 

If at the conclusion two or more players have the same hand, the highest numerical value hand wins the game.

If the game is played with no stakes or with a non-quantitative item as the prize, the system of raising the bet is obviously omitted. 

III. HANDS

The official rank of hands from lowest to highest is as follows:

• No hand - five mismatched dice forming no sequence longer than four. 
  • Pair - two dice with the same numerical value.
  • Two pairs - two pairs of dice, each showing the same numerical value.
  • Three-of-a-kind - three dice showing the same numerical value.
  • Five-high straight - all five dice showing a numerical value of one through to five.
  • Six-high straight - all five dice showing a numerical value of two through to six.
  • Full house - a pair of one numerical value and a three-of-a-kind of another.
  • Four-of-a-kind - four dice showing the same numerical value.
  • Five-of-a-kind - all five dice showing the same numerical value. 

ilarUJDGJeuF8LxLRJ5LkjF2TmCfDbJivWHoLp2wgH9M0JDJ9jwI3EIiX-UW3V-lyKlUGTjTXU19E1ZWsm9YfRKvEuyZESW2U5ZJbWdNTNhglQ-QPYEqkt8D6hW8vhWcDaenWa-sVk1lAvLFwoeGrwL9sbWke36JrglQeSDKiMrY2QIb1ch9uE9lCHIXbw

Edited by Esterlen

A former Lector traced his familial roots back one eve while explaining to his grandson @JoanOfArc their proud ancestry and found a branch derivative of the Master Bobo blood line having come to Kaedrin in the 1400s from Ishikawa's Yamamoto with the Kaedrenized name of 'Cato'.

The Oyashiman gasps "My ancestah,"

He found it spiritually enlightening they were both fans of Dice Poker and now he knew the roots of such.

Inscribed on a shrine somewhere beneath a portrait of Saint Foltest of Aeldin is the word "UNDEFEATED."