Story Team Update - Lore Criteria

squakhawk

4 minutes ago, GrowingIvy said:

When writing simple player-pet creatures (there will be more), would the formatting be the same as the ET creatures?

The former disparity between "Event Race" "Event Creature" and "Creature" have been just molded to one they pretty much had the same format, and the distinction is in the details. So the new Creature Submissions format, which largely borrows from the latter two, covers any/all nonplayable creatures. 

8 minutes ago, Unwillingly said:

still think guides are just an unnecessary ask of lorewriters when any guide info could just as easily be incorporated into the lore piece itself. half of the guide requirements im reading rn are things that (to my knowledge) people already put into lore subs anyways

From my experience in lore writing (writing six guides for lorepieces) it really is not that big of an ask. From my experience in enforcing or following lore through activity trials, no matter how un-flowery you may make your lore, players always consistently proclaim the lore is confusing. This is compoundedly bad when the guide has copy-pasted the lore because of writer laziness. In general, this new criteria for guides massively reduces the work and simplifies it to something more akin to the Musin guide, which just in simple terms and short paragraphs explains how you roleplay the creature, and what is critical to know. No lore currently accepted accounts for that and just gives you everything at equal, front-facing value. I know it can be irritating getting a piece through pending, then having to write a dumbed-down explanation of it, but truly it isn't that much work for what prevents a ton of headache in the future. 

3 minutes ago, ThatFunkyBunch said:

TDLR for this comment: Is this going to kick off a new Lore Games?

absolutely not as the vast majority of our currently accepted lore fits into this criteria already

2 minutes ago, squakhawk said:

The former disparity between "Event Race" "Event Creature" and "Creature" have been just molded to one they pretty much had the same format, and the distinction is in the details. So the new Creature Submissions format, which largely borrows from the latter two, covers any/all nonplayable creatures. 

From my experience in lore writing (writing six guides for lorepieces) it really is not that big of an ask. From my experience in enforcing or following lore through activity trials, no matter how un-flowery you may make your lore, players always consistently proclaim the lore is confusing. This is compoundedly bad when the guide has copy-pasted the lore because of writer laziness. In general, this new criteria for guides massively reduces the work and simplifies it to something more akin to the Musin guide, which just in simple terms and short paragraphs explains how you roleplay the creature, and what is critical to know. No lore currently accepted accounts for that and just gives you everything at equal, front-facing value. I know it can be irritating getting a piece through pending, then having to write a dumbed-down explanation of it, but truly it isn't that much work for what prevents a ton of headache in the future. 

absolutely not as the vast majority of our currently accepted lore fits into this criteria already

Got it, are magics that aren't as updated going to need to be re-written or changed to better fit the criteria?

2 minutes ago, ThatFunkyBunch said:

Got it, are magics that aren't as updated going to need to be re-written or changed to better fit the criteria?

Not for the time being no, although that may change months down the road if no improvement is in sight and the magics are causing issues for players in their roleplay.

Question number three from one of the many resident schizos. If a new submission is missing a few of the clarifications. 

{Explicitly asking about magic submissions as shamanism is being worked through the gears} 

Will there be a chance to make sure the magic is fixed from a few minor issues such as ability labels, without the entire submission being denied and having to go through the review process again? 

I ask because my ability to retain information from posts like these can be bad, and I need to re-read them several times. As perhaps mentioned before Divine, Sewer and I are working on a Lutaumancy and others are working on the fixes needed for Witch Doctor  and Farseer, I won't deny I may miss a few things as the Lutau is 68% done. From what I gather it is along the lines submitted here but in case, I miss something I basically want to know if a grace period will be given to let changes be made. 

Edited by ThatFunkyBunch

I'm not really a lorewriter, but I just wanted to say that I think alot of this stuff is really insightful and interesting to read.

50 minutes ago, ThatFunkyBunch said:

Question number three from one of the many resident schizos. If a new submission is missing a few of the clarifications. 

{Explicitly asking about magic submissions as shamanism is being worked through the gears} 

Will there be a chance to make sure the magic is fixed from a few minor issues such as ability labels, without the entire submission being denied and having to go through the review process again? 

I ask because my ability to retain information from posts like these can be bad, and I need to re-read them several times. As perhaps mentioned before Divine, Sewer and I are working on a Lutaumancy and others are working on the fixes needed for Witch Doctor  and Farseer, I won't deny I may miss a few things as the Lutau is 68% done. From what I gather it is along the lines submitted here but in case, I miss something I basically want to know if a grace period will be given to let changes be made. 

Shelving is always a last-ditch-effort when a lore has no other option available. All actions like asking to fix, helping to fix, or restricting further use until its fixed, would be taken before shelving something flat-out. More info on that is in the thread below.

Can we get a guide on these guides/criteria for those who have a short attention span...?

deflamification is always nice

This has been needed for a while. Good on y'all for getting a metric **** ton of stuff out- my incompetent ass could never..

My family was killed was orcs and I am a self-taught runesmith and tier 5 mage.

There's nothing you can do about it.

I'm only commenting to remember to return and read through all this later down the line.

Good lord... The necessary work is never the easy work, huh?

I have some concerns about the continued validity of old lore that directly contradicts the spirit of these changes, but making it easier to understand how to make future projects really helps the Paybase focus more on being creative instead of figuring out how to lawyerspeak so their submission falls within some vague preferential guidelines. Thank you all

Also pls no Loregames entire communities  and playerraces of RP have still not recovered from that in terms of submissions and shelved lore.

Thank you.

@squakhawk I noticed the heavy discouragement for Tracking/Sensing/ "Info gathering" magics and abilities, how does that apply to the current iteration of Seers and Prophecy/Visions?

3 hours ago, Mannamannaa said:

@squakhawk I noticed the heavy discouragement for Tracking/Sensing/ "Info gathering" magics and abilities, how does that apply to the current iteration of Seers and Prophecy/Visions?

Seer is already accepted. Unless it is undergoing a rewrite or pending shelving (which there is no indication that it is), it will go unchanged. 

In the words of T5 Methomancer Jesse Pinkman, “Tracking lore is hard to balance and implement, yo. An ability as simple as ‘I can track your cardinal direction by scent, *****!’ Turns into ‘Send me your coords bro, my character has hunting magic. I promise I will not just sprint jump directly to you.’ So like, sensing things allows for the same kind of suspension-of-disbelief breaking events to happen. Relying on a level of OOC communication isn’t really fun and takes the heart and soul out of fun RP, yo. Seer strikes a nice balance that you can RP out with minimal OOC back and forth.

The reason seer is broken up into the FA/MA 1 slot/MA 2slot… difference is to ensure that people who aren’t ready for the challenges that MA Seer presents (such as not being a metagaming ****, yo) don’t end up given a really difficult magic and abusing it to hell and back. Plus, I’m a minmaxer and seer kinda blows for CRP, and I can never figure out what Greencorp is saying in their prophecies since half of them are in Glup-Shitto aka blackspeech, so like who really cares, yo.”

Thanks for your insight Jesse. I hope a bit of light hearted humor makes that a bit more digestible.