[Your View] Systems Update - Resources, Travel, and Tiles

Mio

Not even read all the way through but I know I will want to talk about this.

Add Player LC, free me.

Q: Should tiles be uniform in shape or arbitrarily drawn by hand (roughly following geographical features etc.) such as how they are on 8.0 (current)?

following features of course. There's no place on earth were the borders are drawn in square unless some colonial lord thought he was funny in the area.

Q: If they were uniform, which of the following would be preferred?

make the rectangles... at least some civ like

Q: If they are not uniform or arbitrary, how else would you like to see them?

I dont think there's much other option

Q: What kind of tile upgrades would you like to see possible?

non as it is just something usefull for every few people, this isnt civ or EU IV.

for collecting, add pits. Or atleast something similar to it.

Add speed on roads. And add the signs in cloud temple that say ‘you awaken’ or smtn. 

also. Make tiles symmetrical and not the goofy stuff we got now

in regards to tiles: please force some sort of upkeep upon them, it's frustrating to see certain nations own half the map with the only thing of note in any given tile is a singular mansion with less than 0.1% activity. nations should have a REASON to expand, and a reason to keep the tiles. especially when other things could be set up there, like independent settlements, lairs not under a nation, etc.

I believe you have the right idea of CT not being a physical space on the map and soul beacons sound intriguing. I like the idea of the nations placed before the roads which are then designed with them in mind. I don't mind the idea of fast roads because taking my horse overland might have benefits of taking me right where I'm trying to go in a reasonably immersive way if it is designed right. 

I think I speak for most island dwellers, we really wanted to have a chance to build 'tall' instead of 'large' when it came to nation strategy. Also make tiles contour to land features but still of reasonable dimensions. It wouldn't be too odd to see 

Edited by RyuTheCoolest

tbh my overall opinion is mechanics / accessability should be secondary to RP, or help to speed up access to rp.

for getting blocks, our old CT block-hub was simple, straightforward, and above all, not time consuming. traveling from place to place, hub to hub, doesn't leave players with that satisfied feeling of "having worked for it"; it's just a tedious stipulation that drags out their resource gathering to build their settlement. settlements are essentially small businesses; as staff we should try to help those businesses open as quickly as possible.

travel is getting people to that business. so this too, should be as streamlined as possible. I like our hubs on the current map, but fast travels should be used far more liberally. granted, I can admit that maybe with a smaller map, FT wouldn't be as necessary, and instead we could experiment with the speed boost again. adding more soulstone slots, however? sign me up. don't stop at four, give me five. 

tiles I will admit I have very little opinion on. as an NL the system was easy to understand, and it was cool to grind mina to buy more of them. but i do think a tile-maximum would be wise for nations.

thank you for the transparency and interest in player perspective! looking forward to 9.0, and I hope my viewpoints were relevant to the topic.

16 minutes ago, Mio said:

Q: Do you think there should be just one set of each building block or node? Or multiple? How would you scatter them throughout the world?

Q: Would you want to see different numbers on these building blocks? In yield or in harvesting time?

Q: Would you prefer a system where you physically break the block rather than right clicking it?

Q: Do you think there should be a distinction between Niche and Common blocks? 

Q: Would you like to see a system, perhaps expensive tools paid for with mina, that increase your yield when gathering?

A: Depends on the block. Woods and Stone/Cobblestone should be doubled up on, but really you don't need multiple for things like Podzol, Blackstone, etc.
A: Consistency is key. That's not to say no entirely, but don't have Spruce wood come in sets of 4 and Acacia in sets of 3.
A: No.
A: See my first answer. Multiple common block locations. Singular niche block locations.

A: Bring back the shop of wonders tools and the shop of wonders in general.

22 minutes ago, Mio said:

Q: Would you like to see more Soulstone slots? What are possible benefits / consequences?

Q: Would you like to see the return of the Greater Soulstone for purchase from Cloud Temple? What difference should it have?

Q: Would you like to see a road placed before nations, or a road placed between nations shortly before launch? Why?

Q: Should there be a speed boost on the main roads?

Q: Do you foresee any issues with the removal of hubs and reliance on beacons/pillars?

A: Nations first. Don't confine nations to predetermined locations, instead give the players the freedom to place them wherever and have staff work around that to link them.
A: Yes but it has to be significant enough to notice (40% or higher)
Bonus: Do not have fast travel. Key response to your ideal of not having the map feel separated, simply do not allow fast travel to exist. The current existence of fast travel has been abused so heavily that traveling to some sections of the map actually feels like crossing the DMZ into North Korea (There's no good way to do it unless through the specifically approved route). Initially fast travel this map was meant to exist for short distances, to the silver isles for example, but since has been shifted from right outside hubs to past nation walls.

30 minutes ago, Mio said:

Q: Should tiles be uniform in shape or arbitrarily drawn by hand (roughly following geographical features etc.) such as how they are on 8.0 (current)?

Q: If they were uniform, which of the following would be preferred?

Q: If they are not uniform or arbitrary, how else would you like to see them?

Q: What kind of tile upgrades would you like to see possible?

A: Planet side 2 style. Hexagons that roughly conform to map shape. Tiles should be made of the same count of hexagons to ensure relatively equal size.
A: You didn't list options.
A: N/A
A: By default each tile should have a given resource (Metals, Crops, Livestock, Gemstones, Lumber, etc.) These should be the primary way that nations gather materials (specifically nations. There should be default amounts of gathering these things for players that just need some. Think 90% of resources coming from these areas.)  These productions are not automatic or instanced, meaning they require active gathering and produce a limited amount independent of how many people work in them.

Tiles should keep to being drawn according to surrounding features of the map. It's better to have a tile that encompasses a forest or a mountain than one that's rectangular and features five different ones. Looks better on any potential treaties to just say 'X cedes the Y Forest (Tile Z)' rather than 'A cedes the northern part of B Forest, the northern peaks of the B mountain range, and the C Plains which separate them'

I feel for the soulstones, the two that people get to start should be kept that way, rather than an extra slot for voting or any other way. it helped in terms of making people work to get somewhere rather than be able to zoom from the north to the south to the east in a matter of minutes, plus it makes people travel more and gives more opportunities to settlements that may be set up on roads between a hub and nation to get potential new players.

1 minute ago, Benleft said:

Allow ST to run events making NLs ask the question of "Do I want to hold onto this land? Or should I perhaps let it go?"

I feel like this would just be abused by any STs who might not like a nation for one reason or another, unless there were strict limitations on it. Otherwise it just gives STs the opportunity to create the LotC version of Alexander the Great to terrorise a nation just because of some OOC gripe they have with the NL or something.

11 minutes ago, Traveller said:

in regards to tiles: please force some sort of upkeep upon them, it's frustrating to see certain nations own half the map with the only thing of note in any given tile is a singular mansion with less than 0.1% activity. nations should have a REASON to expand, and a reason to keep the tiles. especially when other things could be set up there, like independent settlements, lairs not under a nation, etc.

REAL REAL REAL I love traveller

11 minutes ago, frankdh said:

tbh my overall opinion is mechanics / accessability should be secondary to RP, or help to speed up access to rp.

emphasizing this because frank is entirely right. i believe that adding fairly interconnected road system between nations and adding speedboosts to the main roads is crucial to supporting players getting to and moving between primary rp hubs. arcas had faults with how it was set up, but connections between nations and speedroads were not the issue there.

i believe it would be very hard for a tile division system to be entirely uniform unless the map is a perfect square and each tile is a perfect square- inevitably you'll have dead space or water will be counted in a tile if you go for exactly uniform divisions. care should be taken to ensure that each tile is approximately equal in value. as it stands there are tiles on the map that are double the size of another tile- but both cost exactly the same to acquire. unless there's some outstanding geographical feature that would give a major advantage in PVP, etc, there shouldn't be any tiles that are half the size (or close to it) of another tile. 

upgrading tiles gives me the heebie jeebies. vortex flashbacks. i can't offer anything concrete here except to say that implementing a system of 'upgrading' tiles should be handled very carefully and should not be put into the server on a whim. 

instant fast travel from ct by sign