[Your View] Systems Update - Resources, Travel, and Tiles

Mio

Tiles shouldnt be big. Ensure they're small enough to fit the location geographically with a snug fit, like over a mountain, plain, whatever. Put effort into making the tiles actually fit along the middle of rivers, et cetera. Rather than having them cross over onto the opposite bank. This is not good for geopolitics or avoiding nation bordergore.

There must be some flexibility and care with tiles. They must be able to have their borders be moved to fit any major changes to the landscape, such as changes to waterways, new waterways, et cetera.

Tiles must not be cheap. It cannot be piss easy to expand out to basically no cost, leaving a keep there to barely be used or nothing at all. Increase cost of tiles based on strategic importance, scale up cost of tiles. The more tiles someone already has the more it should cost to get and maintain more.

No LC. No pastes.

Resource collection should be as quick and simple as possible. Preferably resource pits. 

Q: Do you think there should be just one set of each building block or node? Or multiple? How would you scatter them throughout the world?
- I think multiple around the world is a good idea, but instead of sometimes hard to see 

Q: Would you want to see different numbers on these building blocks? In yield or in harvesting times?

- I think most blocks should be equal yields of a stack or half stack with rarer blocks like coral being a lower yet not annoying yield

Q: Would you prefer a system where you physically break the block rather than right clicking it?

- I don’t really see an issue in the right click on a block to gather instead of breaking the block unless there’s a hidden performance thing.

Q: Do you think there should be a distinction between Niche and Common blocks?

- Make it so niche blocks don’t yield as much but keep the general node cooldowns the same, there shouldn’t be a real reason to make any real difference for niche blocks for decorations since that just makes building more annoying unless you’re buying a paste in

Q: Would you like to see a system, perhaps expensive tools paid for with mina, that increase your yield when gathering?

- I see no reason in making extra buyable or craft able special tools just for building blocks

Q: Would you like to see more Soulstone slots? What are possible benefits / consequences?

- I think the max SS slot should be 3 slots as it currently is

Q: Would you like to see the return of the Greater Soulstone for purchase from Cloud Temple? What difference should it have?

- No, there’s no reason to let people get more than 3 slots.

Q: Would you like to see a road placed before nations, or a road placed between nations shortly before launch? Why?

- Roads should be built before launch after the nations 

Q: Should there be a speed boost on the main roads?

- Yes PLEASE

Q: Do you foresee any issues with the removal of hubs and reliance on beacons/pillars?

- I don’t see an issue of hub removal if the proposed CT being a different area happens, although if CT sent you to one main hub and from there branched to the settlements that would be nice. Nothing too big even maybe just a small port or something.

And I don’t really have an opinion on the titles stuff

nations should be able to build and/or remove roads leading to their tiles or in their tiles at will, not be prevented from making changes because thats how the staff want the map to look

Edited by ReveredOwl

Just bring back the ******* pits jesus ******* christ

Resource pits. This is the extent of what I have to say.

Building Blocks:

Q: Do you think there should be just one set of each building block or node? Or multiple? How would you scatter them throughout the world?

There should be multiple locations for each type of block. Ideally, 4 locations for resource gathering located at vaguely each cardinal direction of the map would be ideal. Without fast travel, it shouldn't be a cross-continental trek to get oak wood.

Q: Would you want to see different numbers on these building blocks? In yield or in harvesting time?

The proposed amounts and timers seem reasonable.

Q: Would you prefer a system where you physically break the block rather than right clicking it?

Right clicking seems more logical if the idea is to speed up the process for gathering building materials.

Q: Do you think there should be a distinction between Niche and Common blocks? 

No, not as far as gathering efficiency goes. Using newer, typically better looking blocks should be in no way hindered. Would you rather see a noob house made of cobble and oak, or a well built house made of modern blocks like blackstone, terracotta and concrete?

Q: Would you like to see a system, perhaps expensive tools paid for with mina, that increase your yield when gathering?

I don't believe one player should have any mechanical advantage over another when it comes to building our proverbial "set". Building should be easy and accessible to everyone.

CT and Travel:

Q: Would you like to see more Soulstone slots? What are possible benefits / consequences?

I would like to see 3 available slots. My reasoning is from personal experience, I have one to a capital city of my characters nation, one to a village or lair, and another to an alternative RP hotspot for when the first two are quiet.

Q: Would you like to see the return of the Greater Soulstone for purchase from Cloud Temple? What difference should it have?

Not particularly, no.

Q: Would you like to see a road placed before nations, or a road placed between nations shortly before launch? Why?

Initial roads should follow natural, intuitive paths. Along rivers, through valleys, etc. First comes the dirt road, then the pavement. Roads can always be expanded on, but roads getting to certain cities might be harder to build if the city wasn't built in an entirely logical location.

Q: Should there be a speed boost on the main roads?

From experience, yes. 

Q: Do you foresee any issues with the removal of hubs and reliance on beacons/pillars?

I think we should see a decrease in Soulstone cooldowns as we become more reliant on them for travel. I believe removing hubs will be overall beneficial though.

Tiles:

Q: Should tiles be uniform in shape or arbitrarily drawn by hand (roughly following geographical features etc.) such as how they are on 8.0 (current)?

I'd argue that 8.0 tiles are not in fact uniform in size at all. More attention needs to be paid to the amount of usable ground space in each tile, and tiles should be as close as possible in size while still falling along natural boundaries. Less than ~10% difference in size should be the goal across the map.

Q: What kind of tile upgrades would you like to see possible?

Mines, lumber yards, clay pits, etc. Things that were promised this map but rarely used should be reasonable to purchase without taking up significant space.

My Final Thoughts:

One of my biggest grievances over the last few maps has been that there are extensive areas that become almost entirely unusable. Mountains and hilly areas are great for aesthetic and for making the world feel naturally terrained, but they prevent most people from feeling like they can comfortably build on such land without carving away vast swaths of hillside or perching their entire town on a 10 block tall pedestal. Because of the scale of builds on LotC, building with the terrain is usually a lot easier said than done, and still requires significant terraforming while building. I hope the map painters will take this into account while working.

just give us resource pits no more of this "go to x location to find x block" stuff PLEASE

Washington Capitals on Twitter: "Hit 'em with the classics #ALLCAPS |  @Ticketmaster https://t.co/z4KktcsIWY" / Twitter

2 hours ago, Mio said:

However after much discussion we decided this was far too archaic and clunky of a system.

also what does this even mean in relation to resource pits genuine question

7 minutes ago, Unwillingly said:

just give us resource pits no more of this "go to x location to find x block" stuff PLEASE

Washington Capitals on Twitter: "Hit 'em with the classics #ALLCAPS |  @Ticketmaster https://t.co/z4KktcsIWY" / Twitter

also what does this even mean in relation to resource pits genuine question

the fact it was literally a 16x16 pit that was reset by clicking a sign. we're better than that now. we can have nicer looking / functioning systems now other than that.

1 hour ago, Mio said:

Here is an example of what we want to do for next map’s building block nodes:

- A Building Block node will regenerate every fifteen seconds, having a yield of one.

- There will be sixteen of these nodes spread out through a localized area, harvestable on the player side.

- Roughly within one minute you will be able to obtain a stack of Building Block(s). 

Literally just the Arcas pit system but with nodes instead because staff exist to troll the playerbase and will never listen to us.

We will have spent two years with this node system only to convert it into a cruddy resource pit wannabe that spams your chat if you click too fast.

15 minutes ago, Mio said:

the fact it was literally a 16x16 pit that was reset by clicking a sign. we're better than that now. we can have nicer looking / functioning systems now other than that.

but why? its literally just upgrading for the sake of upgrading (if it can even be called an upgrade?), and there's a large handful of players who obviously preferred resource pits over whatever kind of hamfisted, forced-immersion resource gathering we have right now. we dont need to make things more technological than the need to be if there was nothing even functionally WRONG with resource pits in the first place, and this reasoning makes me even more confused as to why it's suddenly not even an option at this point

what jumperhand said too

2 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

Literally just the Arcas pit system but with nodes instead because staff exist to troll the playerbase and will never listen to us.

>Literally just the Arcas pit system but with nodes
thats the plan

7 minutes ago, Mio said:

we can have nicer looking / functioning systems now other than that.

image.png

Lol!

It's only nicer looking if you use 3rd party mods or clients that completely rework how chat works.

3 minutes ago, Mio said:

>Literally just the Arcas pit system but with nodes
thats the plan

Why not just use pits then?

Pits are familiar. People understand pits and how they work from their knowledge of vanilla minecraft or other server genres and don't have to be taught "purple sparkles coming from block = click with x tool".

6 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

image.png

Lol!

It's only nicer looking if you use 3rd party mods or clients that completely rework how chat works.

Why not just use pits then?

Pits are familiar. People understand pits and how they work from their knowledge of vanilla minecraft or other server genres and don't have to be taught "purple sparkles coming from block = click with x tool".

as the post said the entire function of posts are archaic and clunky. we can have nicer looking / functioning systems now. I think the "tell" for what will be a node should be changed but it'll be more obvious and stand out anyway. 

also i'd hope it's common sense not to click a piece of cobblestone with an iron shovel.

8 minutes ago, Mio said:

as the post said the entire function of posts are archaic and clunky. we can have nicer looking / functioning systems now.

"Big brain Wojak" by Cool-Weeb | Redbubble
Absolutely big-brain staff take wherein plugins that spam users chat and are more confusing for new players are better functioning for some unexplained reason.

Can you just admit you want nodes to make the server "feel" different from more vanilla servers? That's the only real advantage to nodes I can think of.

I genuinely prefer what we have now over resource pits in effectively every way.