[Completed] Settlement Application | The Barrow Marches

SimplySeo

Settlement PRO MC Name: Kornazkarumm

Settlement Name: The Barrow Marches

Proposed Settlement Locations (Highlight 3 on the map): (Anywhere in the Barrows/Crypts region will do but preferably the place marked with an X)

btMC3pxw1KwTliB0B-XoO21d0Q7BQRi85psdoGGO23WlPA9GulGmVHwnmzjRJ0z_Du2cAzLUZTWe1dOov01g8ekAb-6yC9PEcz1sC-108fTFYjnVZu6MgcBhWQztMZyIhKKOYlwk06zL8PnqmOD_KEsslviAhQczPvKV-Z2GdwVNhtNzk7gRrZhD63MddQ

Settlement Lore (could include previous roleplay posts showing involvement with the community) (1000 words minimum):

Spoiler

The origins of the Barrowlands expedition lay over a decade prior back during the Harvest Confederacy. Ser Uther, a Templar and Hedgeknight who rose to prominence during the Acrean Revolution became the Chieftain of the Adunian tribe of the Harren’hil, who’d fled from Cartref Mor after a violent power-struggle. The Harren’hil, who were originally led by John Marsyr, and later Aurelion Marsyr and Oliver Black, suffered a deep internal division between supporters of the previous Lord, Aurelion, who’d began leading the Adunians down a path of occult and ritualism during his time, and his successor Oliver Black, who sought a return to normalcy, but lacked the support to enforce it. Tensions culminated in an attack on Oliver Black by Fritjof Maor, a former follower of Aurelion, and the exodus of Black’s followers.

Oliver Black and his followers eventually joined with Ser Uther, who by that point was regent of Acre during the minority of Volker de Vilain, and led a band of Hedgeknights who policed the lands of Acre. Ser Uther and his Hedgeknights (few of whom were actually knights at all, but former brigands and mercenaries seeking redemption and a noble cause) had participated in the St. Caius’s Crusade, which Ser Uther had also helped instigate after surviving an attack by the Queendom of Serheim. Upon hearing the plight of the Adunians, Ser Uther took them under his protection, albeit with the intention of inevitably converting them to Canonism. 

Already promised land by the Barony of Acre, Ser Uther intended to found a new fiefdom on the coast of the Heartlands, and therein reintegrate the Adunian population with their fellow humans. Although plans were drafted for a holdfast, all were put to a stop after the young Baron, Volker de Vilain attacked a wedding ceremony in Balian with a group of his followers, unbeknownst to Ser Uther. While the attack failed, Baron Volker survived, and upon finding out he had attacked a church, Ser Uther (a deeply pious man) was disgusted (and ambitious) enough to threaten his withdrawal of fealty to Acre if House de Vilain did not abdicate the title in favor of himself, also hoping to save Acre with the transfer of power. Ser Uther was denied, and thus departed, seeking residency in Minitz, wherein he’d made an ally of the Barclays after crying the loudest for war in defense of Canondom after the Minitzers had been attacked by Serheim-aligned Darkspawn. Uther dwelt there for a time, furthering his efforts to convert the Harren’hil, but otherwise bereft of purpose. That was, until he was counseled by his Templar mentor, Arch-lector Danzen.

As the pair trained amidst the haunted foothills of western Almaris, Danzen suggested that it was here in the cursed lands that Uther could settle his people, breeding a new generations of soldiers for the war against the Darkspawn, and eventually, if Uther’s training completed, a new generation of Templars, this time with the firm moral backbone lacked by previous iterations that caused a general decline in the Malchediaelite Templars as a whole. After this training session, Ser Uther was left to his own thoughts and devices shortly thereafter, as the Lectorate dissolved, and Danzen was not seen for a fair time afterwards. Nevertheless, Uther became resolved in his mission to not only win the Barrowlands for Canondom with the sword, but to found a new generation of Templars to serve as the shield of Canonism in the absence of the Lectorate of Owyn.

Uther returned to Minitz while formulating his plans. Aligning his previous goals of starting a chivalric house with his new goals of safeguarding Canondom, Uther adopted the red-gold of the Lectorate as the colors of his new house, dubbed Pendraic (deriving from an old Bowie-Thaudian word meaning ‘Warlord’) as well as having previously adopted the Owynist rites previously while regent of Acre, also an Owynist settlement. (This much he did not try to encourage among the Adunians, for obvious reasons, feeling it would alienate them from their conversion to Canonism, which he sought to encourage at every turn.)

It was decided that, rather than a religious institution, said Templars would take the form of Knights-Errant, with all the colorful heraldry and penchant for adventuring that entails, for the Chivalric Code already found itself similar to Malchediaelite philosophy. Youths would be found, and taken as squires, and would study under a Knight for a number of years before being knighted themselves, and of these Knights, the most courageous and chivalrous among them would be inducted as Templar-Knights. If prospective Templar were too old or unable to serve as squires, they would elsewise have to prove themselves through other means to be knighted, such as valorous acts in combat, and only after being knighted would they be given the chance to become Templar.

Instead of a rigid and insular structure , the Malchediaelite Knights (as they so far lacked a name) would be a loose brotherhood of chivalry, united by common cause and creed, but otherwise encouraged to go out questing, and to carve a bloody name for themselves in the history books. But all organizations, regardless of structure, require some base of operations, and some form of leadership, a mantle which Uther decided would be passed on from him to his future children, so long as they be able and true to the cause, and if they failed in this effort, the most honored among the Malchediaelite Knights were to take up the cause. As a sign of office, Uther had forged a sword from the bounty of a successful quest undertaken by him and his retainers. The carbarum sword, Caledfwlch, whose name in the common-tongue is Hard-Cleaver, and who was to be wielded by the Marcher-Lord.

After many long years of preparation, hoarding coin and supplies from his years as a Hedgeknight, and his years as regent of Acre, Ser Uther finally began the great expedition west into the Barrowlands at the head of his band of Adunians, Hedgeknights, and second-sons, founding Barrowton in the shadow of a great looming ruin… That accursed land, long a haven for darkspawn and their ilk, would be tamed, and the East would be safeguarded from the pagan nations of the west…

Settlement Government Structure Explanation: 

The Barrow Marches are a semi-hereditary Lordship ruled over by House Pendraic, founded by Templar-Knight, Uther ap Gwynthryth. The Leadership of the Barrow-Marches is passed down from father to son (or daughter, if there is no son eligible), but, if the heir is less than sixteen years of age, the Barrow-Marches are ruled over by the eldest next of kin until their heir comes of age. If the heir is unfit (in the case of a cripple, one of unsound mind, or worst of all, a coward) and no other Pendraic is eligible to take on the mantle of Marcher-Lord, a general assembly is called of all sworn Templar-Knights, and a new leader is picked among them by general consensus, settled via a contest of arms if there is no clear candidate.

Besides the vigorously-instilled Malchediaelite flair, the Barrow Marches are ruled in much the same way as any other feudal fiefdom, with the Marcher Lord ruling over his sworn knights and retainers, among whom are chosen his cadre of Templar, who remain the most elite and trusted of his advisors, beneath them are the townsfolk of Barrowton, who although lesser in martial skill, are nonetheless brave for joining the Barrowland Expedition, and venturing into that accursed place.

A special emphasis is placed on piety among the Chivalric caste, and the Church is held in high regard, with the local priest serving as a senior most advisor and court-chaplain to the Marcher Lord, and as well as tasked with furthering the conversion efforts among the Harren’hil.

Settlement Builds and Infrastructure (photos required): https://imgur.com/a/kodL8A1

How does this settlement offer a unique niche not already found in an existing polity on the server?: 

While ‘feudal’ style settlements are hardly uncommon on the server there are very few specifically holy aligned settlements, (Only the Paladin keep in Urguan comes to mind.) with most falling into the morally gray, focused more heavily on serving their nations’ interests than they are the most righteous cause. That's all well and good, but personally I’ve grown tired of the real-politicking, and would much prefer a noblebright atmosphere compared to the usual game-of-thronesy power struggles on lotc. I want to found a settlement where what is morally right (and more narratively satisfying) takes precedence over what is ‘best’ for the nation in that meta sort of sense.

I want the Barrow Marches to be a 'hub' for Templarism in the same way that the Paladin Keep is a hub for Paladinism, which I believe is best accomplished as a free and independent settlement rather than tied to any one specific nation in the way that Paladins are tied to Urguan (since from a narrative point of view, Templars are a lot more likely to establish themselves as a 'faction' rather than the more insularly-focused Paladins). Furthermore, the Marches would also serve as a home for the 'holy' aligned group of Adunians my character has come to lead, who've been bereft of a real home for several months

How does your settlement tie to the greater lore and narrative set by the community on LotC?:

As mentioned above, the Barrow Marches are tied heavily with my character (Ser Uther’s) Templar philosophy, even to the point of it potentially being detrimental. The Marches will ideally become a hub for (canonist) Templars, as well as the Adunians who’ve thrown in with my character in his quest to safeguard the west and, quite romantically, rid the world of evil.

While allowing these groups to flourish, there’s also the obvious potential for conflict among the Adunians less-willing to commit to Uther’s Canonist mission. Speaking of conflict, as well as combatting Darkspawn (for which I intend to adopt a ‘long-term fun over relentlessly seeking to to ‘win’ mentality to avoid toxicity) there’s also the obvious point of contention with the non-canonist nations of the west, such as Norland (who already have a history of conflict with Adunians) Krugmar, and Celia’nor, who are viewed with (borderline irrational) suspicion by the Barrowlanders.

Have you ever run a settlement on LoTC before and what experience do you have with leadership within roleplay communities among the current groups of players?:

I’ve been in leadership in various capacities for most of my four years on the server. Shortly after joining, I led a Dwarven Elder Clan, during which I was quite successful in managing to bring said clan back from inactivity. Later on at the end of Arcas I became Grand King, and remained so for the very beginning of Almaris. I’d say my time as an NL was middling, as it was a learning experience for me in community management and people-skills, both of which I lacked at the time. More recently, I served as regent of the Barony of Acre for several weeks after M1919 and Ryanark were banned, and managed to (for the most part) keep that settlement running until Ryanark was unbanned. During this time period, learning from my mistakes as Grand King, I adopted a (roleplay first, roleplay only) mentality towards leadership, focusing on what was fun and satisfying for my players rather than serving some vague OOC checklist of things I needed to do to be a good leader. I’d like to think I managed to implement that philosophy quite well, if not fully because of my lack of ‘full’ leadership, but its that same mentality I want to adopt with the Barrow Marches for a healthier RP environment, which will hopefully inspire other leaders to adopt a similar outlook on LOTC.

Do you understand the metrics for maintaining activity and the grounds for settlement removal, along with the standing polity cap?

All too familiar lmao.

Application completed. You will be contacted by Staff on the application's status and next steps.